Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mathews monster

Old 03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default mathews monster

has anyone shot one? how does it compare to the dxt?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: mathews monster

I've shot one and it's a great bow but i'd pick the DXT hands down... Small, quiet, plenty of power, just a good hunting bow.. which is what I'm interested in
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I shot one tonite, along with the Reezen. I'm not a big mathews guy but I definitely preferred the reezen over the monster. The monster was pretty hard to draw comparatively and was a little noisier. It was undoubtedly fast, but as always that comes with a price. I guess if you were a big muscle bound dude that has to have a lot of speed you would probably like it. I shot it at 60 #s and it was harder to draw than the reezen at 67#s
Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM

Two completely different bows in my opinion. I think it depends alot on what you are looking for in a bow. Go shoot them both if you can and make a decision.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30

I've shot one and it's a great bow but i'd pick the DXT hands down... Small, quiet, plenty of power, just a good hunting bow.. which is what I'm interested in
X2 i love my DXT I thought about waiting to get a new bow until the new ones came out last year but couldn't help myself and glad i didn't the DXT is a great hunting bow fast, pretty quiet, and compact.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

How does the Monster compare to the PSE X force for vibration and noise? What is the price on the monster?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I preferred the Monster over the Reezen, X force (6), and dream season.

all of them draw like crap, but the Monster locks in nicely at full draw and had the nicest shot feel- suprisingly low noise, recoil and vibration.

Comparing the DXT to the Monster is apples and oranges. They are nothing alike, other than both being made by Mathews.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

I preferred the Monster over the Reezen, X force (6), and dream season.

all of them draw like crap, but the Monster locks in nicely at full draw and had the nicest shot feel- suprisingly low noise, recoil and vibration.

Comparing the DXT to the Monster is apples and oranges. They are nothing alike, other than both being made by Mathews.
Word.

If I was lining up those bows Jeff just mentioned... I'd list them about the same way.

I am not real hung up on speed. I want smooth, quiet, shock free. The Monster is actually very good for what it is, but I am not really after that in my hunting bow.

Gotta go shoot them y'all... only way to find out if its your cup of tea.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the Monster several weeks ago. I was very suprised with it. I really thought it was going to be crap, seeing that this bow has so many firsts for Matthews. I did not like the draw cycle on the Monster at all, I cannot think of one good thing to say about it. However, once you have it drawn, it had a great wall and holds amazing. I also thought this bow would be very loud with lots of vibration, but it did not. In fact, I believe it shoots much better than the Reezen does, hands down in fact.

What are you are looking for? A great hunting bow, or a very fast bow? If you are comparing the DXT and the Monster and want a great hunting bow, save yourself some money and pick up the DXT (in fact there are tons of used DXT's on the market since the Monster came out). IMHO, the DXT is the best bow Matthews has ever put on the market. I am not saying the Monster is a terrible bow, just not the all around hunting bow that the DXT is.

I agree that you should shoot both side-by-side and make a decision based on how you feel the bows.