Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's in your food plot?? >

What's in your food plot??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's in your food plot??

Old 03-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default What's in your food plot??

I am re planting several food plots here in southern wisconsin this spring, and i was wondering what's everybodys favorite and their recomadations. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Default RE: What's in your food plot??

I have given up on spring/summer plots...always gets soooo dry that everthing I have planted dies out. I now try to plant all of my plots in Sept. Over the past 10 yrs or so I have tried just about everything from Whitetail Inst. and Biologic with mediocre success in getting the deer to hit it very hard. Now I just go to my local farm seed store and get winter oats and winter peas. They sell them by the bushell and is WAAAAYYY cheaper than the commercial hunting products.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am goin to use alfafa , chicory and clover all in the same food plot this year
Old 03-30-2009, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

I also don't mess with spring, summer plots, to much money, the deer have plenty to eat at that time any way.

What I have done is to spend the money on (SPRING TIME) mineral supplements and noticed a definite difference in antler mass.

I live in the south so I plant on Memorial day weekend - Oats - peas - Sugar Beets (SECRET WEAPON)

The beets take 55 days to make and the deer won't mess with them much till after a frost or two, then the feeding frenzy is on.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM

wat ya want to do is go to the county shop and get salt that they didnt use on the road and make a pile of that near your stand...as for the food plot, i would just till it up and plant lettuce and pumpkins, deer go wild for that sh**. and in one corner id plant maybe some cockleburr just for cover...but as for my food plot...there might be some mary jane in there!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Well we are going to put in some corn, beans, and clover. Corn just to leave it standing through the winter.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Early season plot--clover/alfalfa mix.

Late season--planting a late seasonplot in late Aug/early Sept of 1/2 brassicas, 1/2 winter wheat and oats mix..Maybe some rye in there as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

we usually plant clover, winter wheat, turnips and winter peas along with our farmingcrops
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

chickory, clover, turnips, and collards. Oh, and some Lima beans.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have about 8 acres in alfalfa (not really a food plot, but the deer love it anyway), 2 acres in clover, and 2 in turnips (planted in the late summer). That is this season's plan anyway. Might put corn in the turnip plot next year.

Quick Reply: What's in your food plot??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.