Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is my arrow really heavy?

I use aluminum arrows still and had it weighed the other day... it weighs 510 grains!!![:@] I picked up over 30 feet per second shooting my dads 440 grain arrows!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

Unless your a speed freak that arrow will pack a serious punch!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Other than now you know how much they weigh what is wrong with your arrows?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30

I use aluminum arrows still and had it weighed the other day... it weighs 510 grains!!! [:@] I picked up over 30 feet per second shooting my dads 440 grain arrows!
That's not too heavy. I still shoot XX75's, with a 100gr Muzzy and they weigh 501grains.
My Vectrix (maxed at 63#) sends them down range at only 250fps, but I get a slamming 69 1/2 ft lbs of KE! That whacks them a good'n!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

so would it be better to go lighter? Because it is a huge differnce in the flight of the arrow when i shoot dad's
Old 03-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speed is a good thing, but accuracy is a better thing! If speed's that important to you then you could go lighter, but I still get pass throughs only shooting 250fps. It's really up to you.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having a heavier arrow is beneficial to an extent. But you CAN go too heavy, and when you do, not only will the arrow be slower, it will actually have less KE. Their is an optimum weight for each bow setup, and you would just have to find that on your own. Optimum weight is usually around 420 grains for most setups. Over that and you're losing so much speed that it actually hinders your KE.

Some would argue that the heavier it is the more momentum you get, which is true to an extent, but again their is a optimum range for your arrows weight. And in the case of bow hunting and arrow weight, KE and momentum are so closely related that they have little to no difference. Again, some will say thats wrong, but its not.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Speed is a good thing, but accuracy is a better thing! If speed's that important to you then you could go lighter, but I still get pass throughs only shooting 250fps. It's really up to you.

Yep its up to you. If faster is better go for it! I shoot a 50# bow and a 620 grain arrow at about 170fps and get a pass thru and the arrow sticks in the dirt on the other side! I like heavy!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

ok this is the info i'm looking for.. thanks guys..

it just seems like the arrow flies so much better when its going a little faster...

my bow was shooting 226 with my 510 grain and 265 with a 440
Old 03-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30

it just seems like the arrow flies so much better when its going a little faster...
In this case does better mean just less arc? I shoot a 605gr arrow at 220fps and, to tell the truth, could not care less how much arc it has. It tuned well with my bow, itgoes exactly where I am aiming andhits like a heavy weight boxer. Those things aremore important to me than "flatter trajectory".

Decide what is important to you and shoot a bow and arrow that meets those needs.

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.