Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sight Pin Question >

Sight Pin Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sight Pin Question

Old 03-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sight Pin Question

I'm new to archery. What are the pros and cons to more or less sight pins? I see 3, 4, 5 and 6 pin set-ups.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sight Pin Question

Pro:dont have to hold high or low at different ranges

Con: the amount ofpins can confuse you when you are aiming on what pin to use
Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Much can depend on how far you intend to shoot. Most people realize that bowhunting is stilla short range sport. For most that means 30 yards or less. Maybe out west it can stretch to 40 yards or a little more, depending one"s skill level.

If you are hunting hardwoods whitetail then rarely will shots exceed 30 yards. Not only is foilage a determining factor, but the skill level and ethics of the hunter. Assuming you're in this bracket you would get along nicely with a maximum of two pins, sighted for 20 and 30 yards.

The biggest reason for having upwards of five pins is it allows for practicing at longer distances and 3D shooting. The problem with using so many while hunting is that too many pins do a good job of blocking out your target (deer?). Also, when the adrenalin starts flowing it's easier to pick the wrong pin simply because there are too many there. I've seen people do this even when target shooting where there is time to "think", and I've done it myself.

Five pins aren't necessarily bad. Use them during the summer and when hunting season comes just take a couple off. This is assuming you buy a sight that allows this. And there is nothing that says you couldn't have two sights. One with 3-5 pins for practice, 3D, and/or target and one with two pins for hunting. Once sighted in they should be right on when put back on the bow.

Personally I find a single pin set for 25 yards to suffice for any shots within 30 yards. Shooting about 260 fps arrows will hit about 3" low at 30 yards, which is still within the vital area of a deer. No holding high. No holding low. Just aim at the middle of the deer and make your best shot.

For this type of thinking single pin adjustable sights work very well. Move it for practice and lock it down for a particular yardage of your choice for hunting.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use 2, one set at 15 yards and one at 25...
Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 4 pin sight, that i changed to a 3 pin sight, I hate the guess work of the 'in between' shots plus i never had a great sight picture. Last summer I swapped out to a single pin adjustable sight and love it. I like the clean sight picture, and the guesswork is gone. Smoked 2 nice bucks this year w/ it too...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Great input guys! Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Spike

i have a Black Gold Flashpoint with 7 pins and Micro-Adjust. The micro adjust made it incredibly easy to set my pins to the exact point and i got a great deal on it from www.bugsnbullets.com and i think more pins are better because i dont have to guess on where to hold my pins on the elk or antelope to hit the right spot. i have my pins set at 20-30-40-50-60-65-70 just so i have them fairly close together.