HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Just a friendly wager!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/289314-just-friendly-wager.html)

drockw 03-15-2009 10:01 PM

Just a friendly wager!!!

Alright, I took this from a post on AT b/c i thought it was pretty neat.

"i was just wondering. and i know some will lie, who would make this shot:

if someone said to you i'll bet you $50.oo you can't go outside right now and drill this empty Skoal can at 40 yards. no warmup shots. no wind. take your time but ONLY ONE SHOT. how many of you would take the bet? and how many would believe they would hit it?

now how about $500.oo. would you still do it."

How many of you would TRUELY do either??? I know a few people personally who I would lay down 50 betting they could, but im not sure I would trust myself lol!!! I LOVE my money;)

OHbowhntr 03-15-2009 10:10 PM

RE: Just a friendly wager!!!

Can I use BH, and does the EDGE count??? If so, I'm almost 75% sure I'd take that shot, otherwise, about 50/50 on the first shot, sure.

KansasBBD 03-15-2009 11:34 PM

make it a red seal can and im throwin down the 500.00! those cans have 25% more tobacco and are larger ya know! haha

kevin1 03-16-2009 03:51 AM

Oops! Wrong forum.

drockw 03-16-2009 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: KansasBBD

make it a red seal can and im throwin down the 500.00! those cans have 25% more tobacco and are larger ya know! haha
haha! Thats funny. Im about to go try it and see if i can do it;)

Derek

Schultzy 03-16-2009 07:22 AM

Hell no, I'd miss by a long shot!!:D

BowHuntingFool 03-16-2009 07:26 AM

I'll try it.............. but I'm not netting any money!:):):):)

virginiashadow 03-16-2009 07:39 AM

I would put myself at about a 1 in 10 chance of hitting it. I do not even practice out to more than about 30-32 yards.

brucelanthier 03-16-2009 07:55 AM

I do that with myself all of the time. The first practice arrow of the day, or the first practice arrow in a couple of hours,I will go to 45 yds and aim atone of thered circles (the smallcircle side)on my morrell yellow jacket. I hit it often enough (+70%)but, the truth is, this practice has convinced me to limit my max hunting yardage to 25 yards. I'll betany amount of money you want that I can hit the skoal can the first shot of any day at 25 yards.

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-16-2009 08:15 AM

I'd take the shot and the bet.:)

MeanV2 03-16-2009 08:24 AM

I don't gamble!!;)

I'll shoot an Apple off your head for free though!

If I miss it's always high, no need to worry![8D]

Dan

pheasantfanatic 03-16-2009 09:44 AM

I think I'd have a 50/50 chance.......if that...lol

fingerz42 03-16-2009 09:51 AM

This reminds me of this local idiot from my town that trys to convince people that he is such a great shooter that he shoots at the eye of a deer target from 80 yards for practice. (Cause hes just that good lmao) The best part is that a crapload of people believe his garbage. Yet when he went to the range with a few of his buddies he couldnt even hit the score zone on a black bear from 40 yards. Infact, he hit it square in the balls on a standing frontside black bear. Only about two foot off hero. LOL, gotta love the braggers with no game.

Rhody Hunter 03-16-2009 09:52 AM

I 'd say a 70% chance i'd hit it but i wouln't take the bet . I'm not a gambler

drockw 03-16-2009 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

This reminds me of this local idiot from my town that trys to convince people that he is such a great shooter that he shoots at the eye of a deer target from 80 yards for practice. (Cause hes just that good lmao) The best part is that a crapload of people believe his garbage. Yet when he went to the range with a few of his buddies he couldnt even hit the score zone on a black bear from 40 yards. Infact, he hit it square in the balls on a standing frontside black bear. Only about two foot off hero. LOL, gotta love the braggers with no game.
I hope you arent implying that I was bragging b/c I certainly wasnt.

I cant ever seem to shoot the standingblack bearno matter what the distance lol! It seems like everytime I shoot him I shoot him high not matter the distance[&:] I think its one of those mental block things:D

Derek

drockw 03-16-2009 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I don't gamble!!;)

Dan
I dont think I would take that bet with anybody in the world. You never know when that release is gonna fail, or the bow is going to break;)

fingerz42 03-16-2009 11:37 AM

No, drock that was in no way intended for you. I was just expounding on a local guy that thinks hes the worlds greatest archer. This question just got me thinking about how I could hear this guy guaranteeing he would hit it.

WesternMdHardwoods 03-16-2009 11:47 AM

I dont know, thats a toughie!! I dont never doubt myself but I would have to be shooting more frequently then what I am doing now?

So..........MAYBE??

MeanV2 03-16-2009 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: drockw

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I don't gamble!!;)

Dan
I dont think I would take that bet with anybody in the world. You never know when that release is gonna fail, or the bow is going to break;)
Aw Come on Derek!! You're No fun! Nothing like a few beads of sweat to make the day enjoyable;)

Dan

drockw 03-16-2009 01:35 PM

No, drock that was in no way intended for you. I was just expounding on a local guy that thinks hes the worlds greatest archer. This question just got me thinking about how I could hear this guy guaranteeing he would hit it.
Fair enough;)

Dan, I dont know if i would be able to stand there with that kinda pressure lol!

bigcountry 03-16-2009 01:42 PM

First shot, for me, I would have probably a 1 in 2 chance of pulling it off. Maybe 1 in 3. So I don't bet unless its a sure thing. So I would say no.

Whats funny is there is 2 persons on here who were known that they said they could pull off 4" groups at 60 yards. I was at a BBQ, and we broke out the bows, and I looked at them and said, lets see it. So first arrow clean miss, second, 5" from teh center, third was (I ain't doing this). I then shot a 3" group.

I love friendly bets like this.

sixgunluvr 03-16-2009 01:59 PM

I'd go $5....chances are slim though on a first shot no warm up. I definately do not have the confidence to put $50 on it. I'm sure there are 3d/target shooters that would put $50 on it.

MeanV2 03-16-2009 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: drockw

Fair enough;)

Dan, I dont know if i would be able to stand there with that kinda pressure lol!
You mean you might duck and run?

I'm with Ya!:D

Dan

TFOX 03-16-2009 04:22 PM

You know the old saying,a fool and his money.;)

I will rarely wager anything and when I do,it is very little.

I just tried it to see what would happen.I was 2" high so I would have missed.BUT,come to find out,I never had fine tuned my 40 and 45 with 3-d arrows.Guess what,the 40 IS 2" high.[&:]

Ben / PA 03-16-2009 04:59 PM

I'd take that 50 dollar bet everytime without blinking. The 500 take me about 30 seconds to say "let's get it on.":D

im ocd 03-16-2009 05:07 PM

No I don't think I could, because the pressure of losing $$$ would be my focus, not the shot.
No sure thing even without the money.

treboryerf 03-16-2009 05:26 PM

i would like to take that bet with all those guys that say hell yea lets do it,come on, first shot in 2 weeks and hit a skoal can at 40 yards with no warm up,i would win 9 out of ten times.

ksfowler 03-16-2009 05:37 PM

If the bet was to hit the target that the cope can was on i would take it in a heart beat. i dont even have a 40 yard pin on my sight. the longest shot i have made is 30-33 even then i was a little nervous.

GMMAT 03-16-2009 05:44 PM

LOL....I hear ya, BC.

Last "world class" shooter that came to my house stuck my McKenzie buck in the leg with his first shot from 35.

iamyourhuckleberry 03-16-2009 05:48 PM

Me too Rob.

Dubbya 03-16-2009 06:02 PM

Where do we sign up? :D

drockw 03-16-2009 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sixgunluvr

I'd go $5....chances are slim though on a first shot no warm up. I definately do not have the confidence to put $50 on it. I'm sure there are 3d/target shooters that would put $50 on it.
Thats kinda how I feel. My first few shots are always somewhat iffy b/c I have to get settled in. Once I get settled in im ok and belive I could hit the skoal can about 4 out of 5 times on average from 40, but not right outta the gate;)

Derek

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-16-2009 06:13 PM

Heal boy, heal.

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Me too Rob.
It goes something like this doesn't it Will. :D

A skoal can is about the size of a 12 ring right? Tracer Nock Video.

No one is on 100% of the time but I'd be up for it. Sorta reminds me of Matt / PA's signature... one well placed arrow...yada yada. At times, one arrow is my whole practice regiment.

At a stag party after a few adult beverages I was coerced to take an unknown shot at a pepsi can. All said and done, one shot, estimated 55 yards (50 pin at the top, 60 pin at the bottm) and I took the can off a stump. Obviously I put the bow away and wasn't up for a second shot. LOL

Right time but it's not magic, remember now, I've missed a mature buck at 16 yards, AND AGAIN at 25 and then double lunged him at 41. Remember the story on the 04 contest buck. One has to laugh at such silliness.

And in that video, I have plenty of arrows in the woods behind that but I'd still take the wager. :D

mauser06 03-16-2009 06:18 PM

right now?? no way...havent had time to touch the bow since the season closed...

right before season?? i would do it. ive actually done a chew can at 40yds...went 3 for 3...no money on it...but i did it. can i do it 100% of the time?? im human...i doubt it. but i strive to be the best shooter i can and practice alot and shooting longer ranges is a major part of my practice...

mahoningbuck 03-16-2009 06:29 PM

Like when I play pool I would need three drinks to losen up.....I tend to shot better when I have a buzz! Hell no I couldnt hit and it would be like throwing money away. I will say I would have a better shot with my new bow instead of my old one!

salukipv1 03-16-2009 07:27 PM

I could go out now and kill a deer at 40yds, whether or not I hit a skoal can at 40yds is another story.

sixgunluvr 03-21-2009 07:15 PM

50yd attempt-video&pic

Well, i gave it a shot. The orange circle is slightly larger than a snuff can. Close but no prize. The 4 arrow group was more typical of several rounds of arrows. All arrows shot at 50yds. I'm not shooting a bubble level right now, I think it might help with the left and right errors I make.

Tried to post a video...can't do it here i guess.

Huntinman23 03-21-2009 10:14 PM

I would make the bet, I am confident i would make the shot, and during the summer i might just try and take some pictures/video to show you guys. You have to be confident with any shot you take whether it be 10 or 50 yards.

JeffB 03-22-2009 06:25 AM

sev years ago I'd have taken that bet.

Today? heck no!

J The Deer Slayer 03-22-2009 01:31 PM

My first shot is usually my best. I wouldn't risk losing a lot of money for it though.

Give me my 22 and sit it 100 yards away and I'll make that bet;)