Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Built in rangefinder in a sight??? >

Built in rangefinder in a sight???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Built in rangefinder in a sight???

Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Default Built in rangefinder in a sight???

Any of you guys using these? Heard they were at the ATA show and some deer classics this year. Fill me in, they work?

DESCRIPTION:

Want a great way to range deer while you're still at full draw? What good is a $299 top of the line laser rangefinder when it's in your pocket when you really need it? Introducing the Quick Range from Bad River Outdoors. Simply put the bottom line on the belly of the deer, then look to see if the back comes up to the 2 (20 yards away), the 3 (30 yards away) or the 4 (40 yards away). It is designed to fit any sight with a round housing as shown below.

http://www.selectarchery.com/quickrange.shtml

Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Built in rangefinder in a sight???

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Any of you guys using these? Heard they were at the ATA show and some deer classics this year. Fill me in, they work?

DESCRIPTION:

Want a great way to range deer while you're still at full draw? What good is a $299 top of the line laser rangefinder when it's in your pocket when you really need it? Introducing the Quick Range from Bad River Outdoors. Simply put the bottom line on the belly of the deer, then look to see if the back comes up to the 2 (20 yards away), the 3 (30 yards away) or the 4 (40 yards away). It is designed to fit any sight with a round housing as shown below.

http://www.selectarchery.com/quickrange.shtml

Looks like the size of the deer would affect the effectiveness of this product and it probably doesn't work well if they are quartering away. I'll stick with my range finder.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

what will they come up with next?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

These were on bowsites 20 years ago. i think you all know how different body size can be for a deer. If you can't judge the distance well enough from 10-40, then practice that. Educated guessing would be better than that IMHO. This, of course, is only if you do not have time to use your range finder. I know I use a 1 pin slider and leave it set at 25 yards. i practice out to 40 with that and know how far to raise/lower for the shot if i do not have time to move the slider. Has not been a problem since switching to this bow for the last 3 seasons. I chalk this one up to snake oil, lol.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can use your pins and do the same thing.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think they'd work to well...
Old 03-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

What a joke!! What's next?? Pretty soon they'll be shooting the deer for ya too.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 AM

Yea I can definately see where the size of a deer and the angle of the shot could definately leave reading skewed.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Marketing scheme!

Joke is right![8D]

Dan
Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

They had their booth set up right beside ours at the Illinois Expo, so I got to listen to the sales pitch more than I cared to... He tried to address the issue of different-sized bodies, but his solution was to basically say they were all the same no matter where you lived in the U.S. ... Funny, i know just within the farms i personally hunt the size of deer can vary tremendously depending on age class.

Also, I got to thinking about it... this thing is basically for helping judge out to 40 yards. I know I'm starting to get to "grizzled old veteran" status in this sportof ours, but ... c'mon, you can't judge a deer from 20 to 30 to 40 yards? Especially given the fact that the majority of modern bowhunters have already pre-judged landmarks with their laser rangefinders as soon as they crawled into their stands that hunt?

Quick Reply: Built in rangefinder in a sight???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.