Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Magnesium Riser

Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Magnesium Riser

I have been wondering why no bow companys do not have risers made out of mag? Magnesium is lighter,way stronger and cheaper
to produce then aluminium.The military has some of there stuff made out of mag that once was made out of aluminium,they switched mainly
because of the strenght and lighter weight. Stronger riser and lighter bow sounds good to me, might even bring the price down on them.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Magnesium Riser

i thought my Reflex Highlander had a magnesium riser.......? could be wrong...pretty sure its different from most bows...
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not too sure Magnesium is cheaper than aluminum.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magneisum archery risers are made in molds and bottom line, they are not as strong. or precise as a forged/machined alum riser. They get tiny air pockets among other things which obviously reduces strength. Hoyt is about the only big company using cast magnesium anymore, and I've seen a couple goofy reflex Growlers and new "Hawk" series bows-you can get bad "runs" of cast magnesium risers- even from the best manufacturers and thats the way it's always been. Hoyt simply cannot make a "tec" riser out of machined aluminum in the price range that they need. Costs too much-hence the rleiance on cast magnesium technology.

Darton tried using machined magnesium risers back in the mid 1990s- they were a flop- they did not prove to be any better than a machined aluminum riser ,looked "cheap" (much like PSE's "forged" F series risers) , and required far more expense to manufacture properly because magnesium is much more volatile/flammable- they often snapped because the heat was not properly controlled thus weakening the molecular structure.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i thought my Reflex Highlander had a magnesium riser.......? could be wrong...pretty sure its different from most bows...
You're right it is, and if you ever need to start a fire on a hike in hunt, shave off some of that riser and light it up, that stuff will burn around 2000* F and will get you a fire started fairly well.

Jeff,
Good Post!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol OH, i actually have thought of that.....im familiar with the magnesium fire starters...i usually got 1 somewhere if i got my pack with me...

if i had to do it, it would be done no doubt about it!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its anything like fishing reels, they transmit vibration much better as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Magneisum archery risers are made in molds and bottom line, they are not as strong. or precise as a forged/machined alum riser. They get tiny air pockets among other things which obviously reduces strength. Hoyt is about the only big company using cast magnesium anymore, and I've seen a couple goofy reflex Growlers and new "Hawk" series bows-you can get bad "runs" of cast magnesium risers- even from the best manufacturers and thats the way it's always been. Hoyt simply cannot make a "tec" riser out of machined aluminum in the price range that they need. Costs too much-hence the rleiance on cast magnesium technology.

Darton tried using machined magnesium risers back in the mid 1990s- they were a flop- they did not prove to be any better than a machined aluminum riser ,looked "cheap" (much like PSE's "forged" F series risers) , and required far more expense to manufacture properly because magnesium is much more volatile/flammable- they often snapped because the heat was not properly controlled thus weakening the molecular structure.
X2 Good post Jeff!

I've seen Mag risers break! Not Good!!

Dan
Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is there a reason why you couldn't forge and machine magnesium like you can aluminum?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Is there a reason why you couldn't forge and machine magnesium like you can aluminum?
Magnesium is a bit more "fragile," than aluminum, from my understanding.

Quick Reply: Magnesium Riser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.