Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to me 82nd.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New to me 82nd.

I recently purchased an '08 82nd. Airborne from the classifieds here from Josh Keller. First thing I need to say is "thanks" to Josh for giving an honest description of the bow and for very fast shipping. He is a first class guy all the way.

I took the bow to a dealer about an hr. away from my home. I have been "disappointed" to say the least in our closest dealer, so I did a search on the Bowtech website and came up with the place my wife and I visited tonight. The name of the shop is Henkel's Hook & Arrow located in Carlyle, IL. From the moment we walked through the door I knew I had made the right choice. The owner, Steve, was extremely helpful and very cordial. I needed a rest and decided to go with a Hostage bow since this bow will be used mostly for hunting. After setting it up, Steve took me back to shoot through paper and through a chrono. At 61# the bow consistantly launched a 365 gr. arrow at 301 f.p.s.

I can't get over how quiet this bow is and how "shootable" it is for a speed bow. I prefer longer ATA bows and this one is no exception, it holds like a rock at full draw.I can't wait for spring turkey season to get here. I think this one will be in the stable for quite some time.

I ended up going with an HHA slider and a 10.5" Doinker to complete the set up. I will definitely be adding an Octane quiver, but I am having a hard time deciding between the one pc. or two pc.

A couple of interesting side notes. One, Steve told me that Bowtech is going to offer owners of '08 82nds. the option of sending their bows in the be upgraded to '09 specs. For $100 Bowtech will replace the roller guide, thread the rear stabilizer mount for the new style string stop, and install the new string stop. This should address the concerns of owners who had issues with the '08 roller guide/string stop. Two, I made the "mistake" of shooting an Admiral while I was there. All I can say is "WOW!" It is by far and away the most quiet, dead in the hand at the shot, bow I have ever fired.

Sorry for the long post. Here is a pic. of my "new" set up.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to me 82nd.

Love my 82nd too. Will Bowtech perform the 08 modification if you are not the original owner?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. It is my understanding they will do it whether you are the original owner or not. Maybe one of the staff guys could give us some more details.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Nice bow man. Good luck with it this spring.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Two, I made the "mistake" of shooting an Admiral while I was there. All I can say is "WOW!" It is by far and away the most quiet, dead in the hand at the shot, bow I have ever fired.
We love that here at the Erie show.

We call that the wow factor. I don't care what fanboy manufacturer bow the person is shooting and all I ask is an honest opinion and when they shoot the Admiral or Iceman, or the Sentinel and Captain for that matter the first word is out of their mouth is "WOW". Well, some use an explicative and "WOW" but we won't skirt the profanity filter.

And when they shoot the 82nd and the explosive power of the arrow slams the nonshoot thru curtain we have hanging, the comment about the power and how shock free it is come out.

The positive feed back is unbelievable.

I love the challenge....I mention "You can shoot any of the bows you wish" and if their not open minded you hear, "that's okay I have a ******************* bow. (strung out to protect the inocent). I simply ask, "Have you shot the center pivot bows from Bowtech or Diamond" and with a no answer I ask them to step inside and with the first shot I watch their expression and "wow" or a big smile comes out and I ask, "what do you think". "Wow, there is nothing, no shock, no noise, better than my ***************".

Just think about it on your next purchase. Have a good evening, day, show, etc... handshake.

The incredible KE and lack of noise coming out of the 82nd is exceptional and it's great to see the smiles on the face of someone shooting it for the first time.

It's been a good show.

Brett, I was looking forward to your review. I knew from our conversations you were going to be very pleased. I believe I'm going to add the Sentinel to my aresenal after shooting it for the first time this weekend but, the 82nd is going to be hard pressed to take second seat to any of my Bowtechs.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob-It's funny that you made the remark about the "wow" factor. When we came back downstairs at the shop where the owners wife and mine were conversing, my wife asked "How did you like the Admiral?" Before I could answer the shop owner told her he knew what my reply would be after he saw the look on my face upon releasing the first arrow out of it. His remarks about people shooting it for the first time echo yours. If they are truly opened minded all they can say is "wow" or some other choice words.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW .
Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Brett/IL

A couple of interesting side notes. One, Steve told me that Bowtech is going to offer owners of '08 82nds. the option of sending their bows in the be upgraded to '09 specs. For $100 Bowtech will replace the roller guide, thread the rear stabilizer mount for the new style string stop, and install the new string stop. This should address the concerns of owners who had issues with the '08 roller guide/string stop.
fired.

Seems your dealer is giving you different information than my dealer was told just two weeks ago. A guy on this forum that is a corporate Bowtech advisor told me the same info.

Email from my Bowtech dealer. Others on AT got the same reply from their Bowtech dealers,"
Bowtech will not sell any of the parts to convert a 2008 82nd into a 2009 version.
They say doing that would de-value the new 2009 models if it were that easy to upgrade.
They recommend just removing the top stopper and buying aftermarket for the STS.
Sorry, I tried."
Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your new bow.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

HCH-My dealer told me that at first Bowtech was not going to offer this option. Then they revisited the idea and decided to do it. I don't think this guy is the type who would spread misinformation. It could be that they have just recently, as in the last few days, decided to do it.

Quick Reply: New to me 82nd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.