Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Speaking of Man Caves. >

Speaking of Man Caves.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speaking of Man Caves.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Default RE: Speaking of Man Caves.

Rob,I am very impressed with your project!! I also like the pics of MM's and MN/Kyle's on the other site as well. When you get throughjust come on down to NC and start on mineIf this economy ever rebounds and the housing marketas well ( so I can sell ours)I eventually want to build a house on one of my family farms. There are still 2 concrete tobacco barns, in great shape,about 20-30 ft. apart with a shelter between them that I want to re-do and make it "MY" area. I want to have an area in the top of one of the barns where I can climb up if the weather is bad and rifle hunt out of a window or just watch. There is a 20+ acre field there and all is surrounded by woods. Oh well...I'll keep dreamingYou should feel very proud of what you have been able to build so far, it looks great and I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck and hurry
Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't get too much accomplished last night, I was working on wiring in the new lighting when an electrical storm blew through.

The wall around the bar will be re-done in faux stone when it gets here, and my leather furniture is moving down there soon.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/wallhangr/SD530354.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/wallhangr/SD530349.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/wallhangr/SD530351.jpg
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, don't know if your taking idea's or not, here's one,wrap them poles in a log style wrap and hang tree stands on them.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Okay Blackfive, now call me dumb cause, What's a California corner? [&:]
Haha..You're far from a dumb-ass. Most people use 4 studs or 3 studs and blocking to build a "standard solid" corner.

A california corner is simply 2 studs, nailed together in an "L" fashion. They are quick to build and install. A slap stud on the opposite side of the corner and you've got sheet-rock & sheeting nailers on both sides.

When we frame a house- one guy builds theentireheader and corner package for thewhole job while the others go about laying plates and so on.

When you're going to have countless corners, using the "california" style saves a BOAT load of time AND studs.

Do you plan on building some form of drop-ceiling ?

I'd slap a quick ledger up against the outer stud wall, shoot on some hangers, throw a few 2x8's across(spanning from thewall to the micro-lam)and rock it.

Keep up the good work..

Also...Not sure about your building codes, but if you've pulled permits or not- you may be required to install fire/draft stops on all outer walls and seperating any "new" rooms that you frame. If so, you'd also be required to fire caulk any electric/plumbing lines that drop from the first floor to the sub division(basement). I'd look into that, because, it could be a nightmare for you later.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats one sweet looking man cave. i love the look of the bar, it turned out real nice
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

Looks good Rob. Are you off this week? Thats a hell of a lot of progress for working in the spare time! Going with tile on the floors? My tip....tile the walls. Drunk guys don't aim well.
LOL, ask Ben about an insert that is lodged in a 2x6. We used to shoot through the studs at end of the bar.

As for flooring. I'm going to go with some sort of rock tile at the entrance and down the bar area. I'm going to carpet the rest.

I was off yesterday but the rest of the project is just nights and weekends.
I meant drunk guys don't aim the little weapon well.LOL
LMBO. Gotcha and well received! [8D]
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Wolfpack

Rob,I am very impressed with your project!! I also like the pics of MM's and MN/Kyle's on the other site as well. When you get throughjust come on down to NC and start on mineIf this economy ever rebounds and the housing marketas well ( so I can sell ours)I eventually want to build a house on one of my family farms. There are still 2 concrete tobacco barns, in great shape,about 20-30 ft. apart with a shelter between them that I want to re-do and make it "MY" area. I want to have an area in the top of one of the barns where I can climb up if the weather is bad and rifle hunt out of a window or just watch. There is a 20+ acre field there and all is surrounded by woods. Oh well...I'll keep dreamingYou should feel very proud of what you have been able to build so far, it looks great and I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck and hurry
Wolfpack, thank you very much and I wish you well in your pursuit.

wallhanr, Looking really good and I love the ski's for shelves. !

hunting junkie, I'm always open for suggestions in everything I do. One never knows when the perfect idea may have been overlooked. I like that. What I had planned for them is to box them, but then toward the bottom just at perfect height to build a little table/stand around them and stone the bottom. A place to sit drinks etc..
Old 02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BlackFive782

Okay Blackfive, now call me dumb cause, What's a California corner? [&:]
Haha..You're far from a dumb-ass. Most people use 4 studs or 3 studs and blocking to build a "standard solid" corner.

A california corner is simply 2 studs, nailed together in an "L" fashion. They are quick to build and install. A slap stud on the opposite side of the corner and you've got sheet-rock & sheeting nailers on both sides.

When we frame a house- one guy builds theentireheader and corner package for thewhole job while the others go about laying plates and so on.

When you're going to have countless corners, using the "california" style saves a BOAT load of time AND studs.

Ah ha, gotcha and know exactly what your talking about. Makes sense too as these are not load bearing walls of any kind, just free floaters really.

And thanks so much for the suggestions, keep them all coming. I'm a telephone technician by trade and pretend carpenter for this project and the rest of my house.

wis bow, thanks friend.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Site Bouncer

I think it looks great Rob!

It's coming along quite nicely. I especially like the bar top and yep I agree, when it's all said and done it will be the focal point of a great looking man cave!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I think it looks great Rob!

It's coming along quite nicely. I especially like the bar top and yep I agree, when it's all said and done it will be the focal point of a great looking man cave!
X2 on that..........I really like the rock face edge on the bar top!

Quick Reply: Speaking of Man Caves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.