Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best arrows and broadheads >

Best arrows and broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best arrows and broadheads

Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best arrows and broadheads

What are the best arrows and broadheads for deer hunting? Also state the price for each of them also.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Best arrows and broadheads

I would have to say the easton axis arrows and G5 stricker or montec broadheads are a deadly duo, with that pair the deer should be afraid!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no "best" answer to this. That's why there are so many vaied products on the market. If any one could be siad to be the "Best" then there wouldn't be any need of all the others.

However, the best broadhead is one that is scary sharp and aligned properly with the axis of the arrow. Simple as that.

The next thing is the arrow. The best arrow is one that is spined properly for the bow weight and length of the arrow, draw length, etc. It must have sufficient weight to carry enough momentum to achieve penetration to the vitals. The bow/arrow combination must be tuned to shoot the arrow as straight as possible so it's not wobbling around.

Notice I did not say to tune the arrow. You do not tune arrows. You tune the whole setup so it acts as unit. Now, to this end, you can get arrows from manufacturers such as Gold Tip, Easton, Carbon Express, Carbon Tech, Carbon Impact, PSE, and others. It really doesn't matter a whole lot. They are all good; some better than others and priced accordingly. All you need concern yourself with is getting one that is spined properly. And if you are shooting anything over 50# any properly spined arrow will be sufficient for deer.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

A/C/C's and Slick Tricks...$120 a dozen for arrows and slick tricks are ??..can't remember
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like BG pretty much said, you get what you pay for. Once you figure out what spine you need, if you're paying over $7/8 per arrow you're getting decent quality. For broadheads there are endless options, but again most good ones are in the same price range of about $10 per head.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wallhangr

Like BG pretty much said, you get what you pay for. Once you figure out what spine you need, if you're paying over $7/8 per arrow you're getting decent quality. For broadheads there are endless options, but again most good ones are in the same price range of about $10 per head.

Thanks for the support, but I would disagree with broadhead prices. Everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon of whatever comes out this year will be the latest and greatest, surpassing all other before it, regardless of the price. The truth is there are still really good, well proven heads onn the market like standard ole Muzzy's that go for about $25 per six pack. I like the way Slick Tricks are built, too. Actually I pay more attention to how blades are retained within the ferrule, and although I don't keep up with every new model that comes out I still feel that three heads stand out to me in the blade retention department. Those being SlickTrick, Muzzy, and InnerLoc.

I don't keep up with mechanicals simply because I can't shoot enough draw weight to be able to use them. Therefore I have no interest in them. Besides, I have NEVER had a broadhead that I could not install properly on an arrow, tune the setup, and have that and field tipped arrows hit the same POI within normal hunting distances. And I've had a few broadheads in the last 35+ years.

Regardless of the broadhead being used, if there is one that is so much better than all others it is still not going to do it's job efficiently unless the arrow is flying true, so it's all in the tuning and shot placement.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are lots of Solid choices.

I use the Carbon Express FOC Maxima series shafts and Slick Tricks. They are definitely at or close to the top when it comes to quality.

Dan
Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Have harvested deer with many different combinations over the years,i now shoot Gold Tip's Pro Hunters with Rage 2 blades
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Whatever works for you. Technology is shared by ALL arrowmanufacturers.

I do believe that a braodhead is not just a broadhead. Some are better than others, but all will kill a deer just as dead if the shot placement is correct.

I've killed deer with thunderheads, slick tricks, rage 2 blade and rocky moutain snypers.

My set-up is carbon express 350 FOC and rocky mountain snypers at 70lbs and 28.5" draw- works just fine for me.

Quick Reply: Best arrows and broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.