Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you shoot with your non dominant eye? >

Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed, i know some people who are like this and relearned shooting lefty, i cant imagine what the advanatge is since i cant see my self shooting any better.
How do you guys shoot

(heres a link if your not sure which is your dominant eye http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/howtoindex/ht/eye_dominance.htm)
Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

Yes I am the same. I know that I'd probably be better off if I changed to lefty, but I am too set in my ways to change now. Plus I like the advantages rightys have in regards to purchasing equipment.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 PM

I am with both of you guys, I was young and ignorant and didnt know any better when my buddy sold me his right handed bow. After shooting for a few years I learned I was left eye dominant by then I had a pretty good repetition of form and didnt want to change. I dont think I am overly dominant in my left eye but I know I am. I generally wear my cap a tic cockeyed to block it or squint my left eye and havent had much problems. Dont think it would help my accuracy to change, but then again I am still young and probably ignorant.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:34 PM

I have the same problem. I guess I should switch as well, but seems like too much of a hassle now.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I wish I could shoot with my Good Eye!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Same situation. I shoot gun left hand, pitch and hit baseball right, shoot bow right handed, write left handed. I am all jacked around. I guess over the yearsI have adjusted my style and it has not affected my accuracy as far as shooting a gun or a bow
Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

im right handed right eye dominant...

that being said, i shoot both eyes open for everything except high powered scopes on my rifles...even upto 4x or so i shoot both eyes open...

found im more accurate and quicker on target and can follow through with the shot better and also keeps me from getting tunnel vision as bad and i can see the "big picture" opposed to closing 1 eye and looking through a peep and focusing on the target and sight with the only eye i have open...cant see a whole lot other than the target shooting with 1 eye open....

took a little while to get used to but my groups shrank with the bow and pistols...
Old 02-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am lefteye dominate but right handed. Most people that aren't cross dominate will say to change but i don't think truly access the situation unless they have cross dominate. I can't see why i would want to change. I can pull back more poundage with my right hand ,it feels more comfortable, right bows are easier to find and sell ,and
I shoot very well right handed. So i say if isn't broke why fix it
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting a bow in 1956-I do EVERYTHING left handed-played ball 9 years, golf, throw, write, shoot slingshot, pistol, rifle (military)LEFT handedBUT I shoot a bowRIGHT handed. don't know why.
In my tourny days I have posted many perfect 300 rounds, perfect outdoor 300 PAA rounds, Perfect (560) NFAA animal & field rounds in my day.Won some state competitions & oneGreat Lakes Sectional in my Division. I took 38 biggame animals with recurves with instictive (NO SIGHTs) & finger shooting. I have since taken well over 100 more animals with sights.I shoot with both eyes open.
My brother is LEFT handed in every way BUT shoots a bow RIGHT handed.
Excellent tourny shooter (many 300s) as well & a ton of Biggame kills to his credit.
I do not know why we started off this way but I am starting my 53rd year in Archery/Bowhunting & my brother is just a few years short of that.

My son is RIGHT handed but shoots a bow LEFT due to a lazy eye & I switched him due to that at age 6. He is a very good shooter with several animals to his credit.

I killed 2 wild hogs & 2 Whitetails this year & my brother took a nice 8 point Whitetail.
I have shot left handed & do just fine & my brother has switched for the heck of it BUT we cannot see shooting any better than we already have. Sorry for Long post.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

This is an interesting topic. I never realized there was so many cross shooters out there. I always thought it would be just about impossible to do but you guys have proved that wrong. I'm rt. eyed and shoot rt. handed and always both eyes open.

Dan

Quick Reply: Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.