Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What arrows

Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default What arrows

I decided Im no longer worried about how fast I can miss a deer. In the last few years Ive been focused on speed and how fast I can get my arrow to the target. Ive gotten pretty good penitration but Ive also had more than enough arrows not get pass throughs. Im looking for advise on what arrow is heavy enough to achive a pass through most of the time. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas that also have the correct spine for my setup. Heres what I have:
Bowtech Tribute set to 61#
27.5 in draw length
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What arrows

Easton Axis FMJ's 400's I love this things and i'm orderring more this week. To give credit where it's due, Rob turned me onto these at last years GTG. Without a chrono or anything they just give the impression of visual impression of more speed. You sure can't knock the repeatability arrow to arrow. They shoot accurately fast, and get pass throughs too
Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

I am also looking at heavier arrows this year. I am going to be getting FMJ 400s. I shoot a Guardian at 58lbs and 28in draw.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

I never cared about speed. I still shoot my tried and true XX75 (2117) with a 125 grain broadhead. That's a heavy set up and works just fine!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

The Easton ST Epics are a good strong arrow i have shot them for the past two years and they work great for what your shooting you would probly want the 400s thats a good mid range arrow with a 100 grain tip or broad head or if you need to go lighter then the 85 grain tipmight make it go faster you might lose accuracy tho
Old 02-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I was weaned on heavy arrows and only varied from that path when I tried an overdraw back in the days of overdraw fever. (How long ago was that anyway? LOL) If you're looking for a good solid arrow that's straight right from the get-go, look at the Carbon Tech Whitetail XP's.(the oneswith the yellow print..not the plainWhitetails with white print) They have a straightness of .0015 Depending on our poundage of course, I shoot the 65/80s. They weigh in at 9.5 grains per inch. Tipped with a 125 I'm slinging 475 grains. I can buy a dozen and have a dozen shooters. I never had that with other arrows. Len and I experimented with some Axis during the off season one year. We decided we just couldn't justify the added cost. They shot great, but so do other arrows like the Whitetail. Carbon Tech makes Rhinos which are great too, but my skill doesn't show the difference.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I shot the axis this year with 100 gr heads. I shot with both mechs and fixed. I had 2 passthroughs and 7 or so went in and stopped just shy of a pass through resulting in lots of broken arrows. They fly great but just blasting thru them like Id hoped. Last year I shot the arrows in my signature, way too light!! I may even up to a 125 gr head this year to help with pass throughs. The reason Im so concerned about pass thru guys is that most of my stands are in some thick areas where Im on a hillside. When I shoot a deer the entire body cavity has to fill before the blood trail starts and luckily they all expired within sight or most cases hearing distance. But if one had made a heck of a run it would have been difficult to find. My brother shot some carbons that weighed in around 10.5 gr but cant remember what they are.