Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Advice - Arrow selection for my AM32 >

Need Advice - Arrow selection for my AM32

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Advice - Arrow selection for my AM32

Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Advice - Arrow selection for my AM32

Tell me what you would recommend for arrow maker and also broadhead weight. I'm not looking for a huge discussion on KE just what you think a good set up wouldbe based on your experience. Right now my Whisker is set up for run of the mill carbon express or gold tip with medium shaft diameter. (But I'm willing to change whisker size...I will be staying with the whisker though)

My Alphamax 32 is set as follows:

70pounds
Draw: 27.5 inches
Probably will stick with my 100 gr. NAP Spitfires or Rage 2 blade

Fill in the blanks?
Arrow Length, Brand name, size(#), vanes type,

I will also be running luma-nocks.

THANKS!!!
MW

Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Default RE: Need Advice - Arrow selection for my AM32

I like my camo FMJs but everyone is different.....

I am too busy playing Duck Hunter to run the numbers..[8D]
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Easton Prohunter 390 ACC with Tracer nocks.This is assuming a 26" arrow raw shaft or 26 1/2" true measurment.

I also prefer feathers and from the tuning I have done with the WB,I would use them with the WB as well,of course that would require some refletching from time to time but imo,the difference would be worth it.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

MW..same setup, I'm shooting Carbon Express Aramids 350s. Loving them. Although, the Easton FMJs were my second choice.

Best of luck.

Kel
Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd definitely take a look at the Carbon Express Maxima, Maxima Hunters, or Aramids.

I agree with TFOX about the Feathers. IMHO they are the best way to go.

Dan
Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up shooting feathers and want to get back to them...

Do you guys really see a benefit to going with the Aramids or the Maxima?

Educate me on the postives...I have read the specs on both styles...However my thinking is...Do I really care about getting the arrow with the most strength? In my mind set...I'm just thinking if I send a standard carbon express or a gold tip XT...if I put it in the right place on the animal..should I care aboutwhether my arrow holds up if I don't pass through? I know if the arrow doesn't breakon a NO PASS thru its going to act like a meat grinder...

I'm leaving myself open here...Because I do not know much about Aramids or the Maxima....What will it give me that the standard Gold tip XT won't?

Thanks GUYS!

Brian
Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Varied opinion....

Unless you're shooting high level competition, you won't notice difference between .001 and .003 straightness arrows, and I think with that thought in mind, there are a variety of arrows you could use. I don't have my OT2 available, as I'm at work right now, but I believe that you should be shooting a 400spine arrow with a 100gr tip at 28" to be spined right (I'll double check in the a.m.) If you want to go with a SHORT 26-26.5 arrow I think you'd want a 125gr tip to balance out the spine a little better, and up your FOC to get a little better flight.

To me personally, the BEST arrow for the money I've found is the one in my signature which you would need a 55/70 series in. Fletch it how you like, but I'm not a big fan of getting stuff refletched too often if I don't have to, and BLAZERS, or another similar vane, would be on my arrows if I were to shoot a WB.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I'm cutting $$ somewhere it's not on my arrows or Broadheads. It's like having a match grade rifle and using generic ammo.

I think the Maxima series arrows are the best all carbon arrow I have used. I have used the regular Maxima, Maxima Hunter, & Aramid. They are all great shafts.

Can you get by with cheaper shafts? Sure! but I won't

Dan
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

What looks like it should spine best will be a Maxima 250 with a 125 gr tip at 27.5", any of the Easton or Beman 400 series set-up the same, or an Easton 2-49 ACC, or the arrows in my signature (cheap only in price not quality) for $52/dozen raw shafts are the best bang for the buck I've found. They also spine touch more firm than a Beman 400 series, so you'd want an extra inch of shaft length 28.5 w/ a 125 gr tip.

Dan,
I hear what you're saying, but in all honesty, I don't feel like I'm skimping at all with what I'm shooting. I know most people wouldn't expect a Cabela's branded arrow to be comparable to the brand name arrows, but shooting them next to Gold Tips, Bemans, and an over-priced $100/dozen bunch of PSE Carbon Force Radial Weaves, I found that they were the most consistent of the bunch. And I've not had any complaints with any of the 4 dozen or so I've purchased over the last 4 yrs.

FWIW, I do shoot ST's I bought from you because I think their the BEST BANG for the BUCK as well!!!

Avatar pic is a pair of the Cabela's Arrows, one of them is still shootable!!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Arrow selection for my AM32

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.