Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding? >

How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'm curious to hear how you all go about this. I myself struggle with this not knowing 100% for sure where a particular buck Is bedding. Also, do you believe there bedding area's change through out the fall? How do you know this as well? I don't want to hear opinion's, I want to hear facts that have proof.
I "believe" the bucks where I hunt have multiple bedding areas. I knew where 2 different big bucks were bedding last year. (at least part of the time) I believe the big woods bucks move around a lot with changing food sources, the rut, and wintering ranges, and pressure. The partial proof is from personal experience and also a tracking study that was done in my area years ago.
Both of the bucks disappeared this year. Maybe they didn't make it thru the winter.
You can find their fall beds in the winter. Their beds will have rubs near them. Just like the beds that the blood bro's show in their videos. I agree that finding the beds they are using right now may not help you in the fall.
The one thing I found interesting from the tracking study was that each buck did things differently from the others but what they did do they repeated year after year. Or put a different way, they were patternable.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I'm curious to hear how you all go about this. I myself struggle with this not knowing 100% for sure where a particular buck Is bedding. Also, do you believe there bedding area's change through out the fall? How do you know this as well? I don't want to hear opinion's, I want to hear facts that have proof.
I "believe" the bucks where I hunt have multiple bedding areas. I knew where 2 different big bucks were bedding last year. (at least part of the time) I believe the big woods bucks move around a lot with changing food sources, the rut, and wintering ranges, and pressure. The partial proof is from personal experience and also a tracking study that was done in my area years ago.
Both of the bucks disappeared this year. Maybe they didn't make it thru the winter.
You can find their fall beds in the winter. Their beds will have rubs near them. Just like the beds that the blood bro's show in their videos. I agree that finding the beds they are using right now may not help you in the fall.
The one thing I found interesting from the tracking study was that each buck did things differently from the others but what they did do they repeated year after year. Or put a different way, they were patternable.
Good stuff Todd! This Is the answers I'm looking for.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

~ Otherwise everyone and there cousin could reply and say "I think they do this"

Go ahead just say it Steve... Ed, why don't you shut your pie hole!!!
I'll surprise you some day with a good answer, instead of a smart ass one!
Keep in mind, if it were that easy, there would be even less big bucks roaming,
because they would get shot by the first person to get out and hunt.

Maybe some hunters have it figured out, and of course, these are the answers from the folks your looking for...
I'll name GregH as only one, of the many hunters who connect consistently.
Maybe some have it partially figured out. (I consider myself just breaking into this this bracket)
And some are lucky enough to stumble over a bedding area. (I used to be in this bracket)
*When you spend more time scouting, the luck factor tends to change towards skill!

I read a book from Hal Blood and he call's the mature buck a "NOMAD". I think for most of the mature bucks, it's the perfect name. It takes years to figure out the terrain or deer habits, what works in one area doesn't in the next. I believe they have preferred bedding areas for different times of the year or for pressure times of the year, etc..

I too, wish I could find the pot of antlers at the end of the rainbow!
I'll just keep clicking my hunting boot heels together and say "I wish I were in Kansas".
Or Illinois or Wisconsin or Ohio or ... you get the hint.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lol!! Nothing wrong with that response there Ed!! I'm going to try that "clicking my hunting boots thing". I'll let you know how It works for me.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right on brother - thanks for the laugh!

I will note, in all seriousness, the last handful of years, I find myself spending less time trying to be "the hunter we watch on the DVD"
or "the hunter in the magazine article". I believe that this actually hurt me throughout my earlier years of hunting and to be the "hunter that I am".
If this makes sense? The major thing it did for me, which was a good thing, was to keep me motivated and hoping...

You have been very lucky/blessed to be brought up in a hunting family where the apple didn't fall far from the tree!
By the sounds of you and your brother's sightings this past season, you're further ahead than most of us.
Just pickier than I, as 125" buck is dead in my woods...
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I too believe that the big bucks have more than 1 bedding area. They like to have a plan B and probably C as well, in case some intruder invades his main place.

In the summer, scout feeding locations in the evenings and try to spot a nice buck or two. Go back during mid day and try to find their tracks then back track. The use of maps (all kinds), cameras and some leg work should get you close. Then try observation stands. Advance slowly and carefully until you see where he gets up from in the evening.

The more buck bedding locations you can find the better you are. You can possibly hunt a different one when the wind isn't right for the others.

As far as finding antlers at this time of year, it tells you which bucks are still around. Also, the sign in the snow tells you how the area is being used after season..... why the deer are there. When the snow melts you should be able to see sign from the rut.

With tons of year round scouting and observation, a person can put together the big picture of the herd in their area and get a good read on the mature bucks enough to put together a plan on how to hunt them. Not many people are able or willing to invest this kind of time in the pursuit of whitetails. Myself included. I have done this kind of scouting many times. Whether I get the buck I'm after or not, the scouting only helped me to become a better hunter. It never hurts you! Some years I don't invest this kind of time and hope for the best by hunting in accordance with what I have previously learned.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

I don't worry about where they are bedding. I watch the does...know their routine...and hunt funnels where bucks have to pass to get to the sweet stuff
Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I don't worry about where they are bedding. I watch the does...know their routine...and hunt funnels where bucks have to pass to get to the sweet stuff
That's great strategy for the rut. Won't workearly season.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Jeff,
If it was Not for the Rut many hunters could not kill a buckThat does not apply to most on here. I am talking your average hunter.

Dan
Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: early in

Jeff,
If it was Not for the Rut many hunters could not kill a buckThat does not apply to most on here. I am talking your average hunter.

Dan
I couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply: How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.