Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Africa slide show >

Africa slide show

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Africa slide show

Old 02-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Africa slide show

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Leopard and cheetah Adam. A leopard has rosetta spots and a cheetah has round spots. Did you know a cheetah cannot retract its claws like most cats?
I see...I saw the cheetah, I guess i confused the leopard for a jaguar. I didn't know that about cheetahs, that's crazy. Why can't they retract their claws? Does it have something to do with having to run down prey at 60 mph?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simply wonderous Will.

Sameas "a man's man", you are definitely a hunter's hunter!

Hey I'm curious to know, how close was the lion you took with the bow?
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adam, I believe so. Or perhaps the ability to turn on a dime at 60 mph. The cheetah is currently prohibited from being brought into the USA-under CITES regulations. There are very few places in Africa where they can be legally hunted and are under strict government control. We were lucky to get the permit for that cat (actually more dog like than cat like). It is currently a life size mount in the jointly owned home of Mark and Cecil in New Zealand.

28 yards Heu. She was walking into the wind and gave me a quartering away shot. I shot her with a Carbon Express Terminator tipped with a 100 grain Grim Reaper. My 78# PSE Stingray blasted the arrow through her-the shaftskipped an additional 50 yards downrange. She never took another step. The PH had me follow the shot with a second. It wasn't necessary, butit made him happy. That hunt was by far the most emotional hunt I have ever been on.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Will , i never get bored of seeing your pictures and reading the accounts of your experiences . Just Fantastic .

Did you manage any pictures of your scouting trips to the mountains before Christmas ... with my mulie .
Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Jeff,

Here's a photo of the lion I mentioned above. He was a nice 15 year old male in his prime. We estimated his weight at 600 pounds. Can you imagine yourself as a cow and having that monster sinking his teeth into your neck? We took the lion carcass to the bushmen's cattle encampment. We arrived there at 9:00 am. The lion was completely consumed by 11:00 am. And then they asked us if we were finished with the cow and two calf carcasses-which they promptly retrieve from the bush and continued their feast (keep in mind the dead cows had been in the sun for three days, had hyenas andbuzzardssnacking on them, and stunk to high heaven)!

Will, that is one HUGE cat!! Did you getany kind of a mount done on him? If so, could I be as newsy as to ask what something like that would cost? If you would rather not say, I understand.You've got some big ones!!I'm not talking about all of your trophys either.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

I hope I didn't misled you. I did not kill that lion. I was merely there to lend assistance whenever possible. Cecil Baldwin, the elderly gentleman you see throughout the slide show, was the lucky man behind the trigger. He was 74 four yearsyoung then...still pissing napalm. You see, the year before, Mark Perry, Cecil, and I were in Africa to hunt cats. Sadly, poachers had killed enough lions that our lion permits were withdrawn by the Namibia government. They were reinstated 10 months later as a result of the four problem cats. Cecil drew the first cat... I worked my arse off making sure his dream became a reality. Sort of figured I had a heck of a lot more years in me than he...I could kill mine later. I was there for him.

It's kind of cool. Cecil is 78 now and this June is off to Zambia for a croc/rhino hunt.He has an eight grade education, owns a heavy equipment/blasting company, and to this day sits atop his office desk ( a catapiller frontend loader). Who says hard work doesn't pay?

Here's one side of his trophy room

Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a shot of the lion. I believe he paid $3500 for the lifesize. It is beautiful to see in person!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's his leopard/lioness (another $3500 +)

Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Damn, he shore does it up right, doesn't he? Tell the oldfellow good luck from the guys/gals at HNI. Also, make shore you get some pics from him after that rhino/crock hunt to share with us!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was the one I was trying to bump.

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Africa slide show

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.