Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you do... >

What do you do...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do...

Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you do...

What do you or would you do if the deer dont generally bed down on the land you hunt on?? Last season I saw over 20 different bucks and who knows how many does but they dont seem to bed on the property. Ive seen maybe 3 bucks bedded down and about a dozen does. During the shotgun season I hunted the property for the season openner and in the snow I found one bed and it was on the property line. I guess at least the deer eventually make it to the field. What are yourthoughts???
Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you do...

my thoughts are who cares as long as there passing by your stand.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea, with the said post above, at least you are seeing them.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

That was kinda my way of thinking but usually the big boys dont move til the low light hours and by the time they get to me its too dark or Im already out of the stand probably. I saw tons of young bucks this year. Ill admit I did see 3 really big guys before dusk but the wrong place wrong time scenario. I didnt know if anybody had any insight to catch em earlier. I think Im gonna buy some game cams to put out and see if its even possible to intercept them or just hafta get lucky.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice would be to do some intense scouting to see when and where they big boys are traveling when they do travel on your property. You may be able to pattern them and learn that you're only going to have a 15 minute window of opportunity at dawn or dusk, but hey, that's all you need. Also, I wouldn't totally rule out doing some in season scouting with a situation like yours.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make some good bedding areas. Hinge cut some trees to make a thick brushy area and stay out of it so the deer feel comfortable. Another option is to plant some switchgrass or Native Warm Season Grasses. The deer WILL BED in this stuff guaranteed.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds like you have an idea of where they do bed even though its off your property. Do you use a site like Google Earth? If so, do some homework to try to pinpoint some possible bedding areas on the adjacent properties. You can learn a "lot" from studying aerial and satellite photos. It also sounds like you have a pretty good idea of the trail system on your property. If so, backtrail those particular trails you saw activity on this season and find some new spots that are closer to the property line so that you can intercept them a little earlier. Deer move slowly in the afternoon working their way from bedding areas to feeding areas, esp. mature bucksand just a small move closer to their bedding area can buy you some significant time. With the info. you gather from Google Earth and your scouting expeditions try to find yourself some type of pinch point to set up at. Who knows, maybe the trails you've been watching intersect near the property line.Most property lines in this country are some sort of feature like a waterway, field edge, rd. etc etc. There's usually lots of pinch pts. along property lines. Good luck.

Dan
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Heres the property I hunt. Yellow is property line, Red is some of the main deer trails, Green dots are my stands.
The area on the East side of the property is thick pines, my stand on the east side is along a rub line where the rubs are on trees as big around as my waist. The area along the field edge is oaks, locusts, and a few cedars mixed in also.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM

I Dont see it

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I cant get it posted but heres the link I think. http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...7254287042.png

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.