Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got arrows cut, now I must buy new ones >

Got arrows cut, now I must buy new ones

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got arrows cut, now I must buy new ones

Old 04-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got arrows cut, now I must buy new ones

I went to bass pro and bought a dozen Beman 340' s, which was the right spline for a 32 inch arrow. They seemed fine but are heavier than the 400' s and a bit cumbersome given the length. Went to a local pro shop and he said my arrows are too long and should be cut. I did not have them with me (just one), so i decided to go back to bass pro to let them cut them since that is where i bought them. I had them cut to 29 7/8 inches. Then I looked at the beman spline chart and found that as a result of my draw wt and the shorter arrow, i have too much spline. Guess i should have looked into this first.

Anyway, need to buy new arrows and thought i would solicit your input on which ones i should get. I think i like the carbon. The bemans are fine though i like the idea of having straight fletching vs. offset since it is easier to make sure i have clearance. Any suggestions on a replacement arrow?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Got arrows cut, now I must buy new ones

First off its Spine

Don' t throw them away just yet, they may work great for you. Depending on you setup a little stiff will work great. At worst you may have to just add a little more weight at the tip. Odds are that cutting 2 inches off will not make them unusable.

Shoot them and see how they tune before you thro the money away.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:22 PM

Try them.
If they don' t work, My address is....
Old 04-18-2003, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try the shorter arrows!You should be able to get them to work for you--heavier tip weights,maybe a little more poundage?Don' t trash ' em yet!!
Old 04-18-2003, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with Rack...try them and see. As long as they aren' t so short that they fall behind your rest, they will probably work. Most bows I' ve shot seem to favor a slightly stiffer spine anyhow. Regardless....try them and see first, before spending any more money.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

I should have added a few other details. First, I bought these arrows last year and due to my poor shooting, have exploded 4-5 against a concrete wall. Second, according to the chart, I am not just a little out of the range, but a lot. I looked at adding draw wt which is currently 55lbs, but with a 50% letoff, I don' t want more than 60. Adding wt to the tip doesn' t get me there either as I am still pretty far out of the range. Point is, these arrows will be fine for practicing and they still work ok, but for this upcoming season, I want to make sure my equipment is as finely tuned as possible. Also, b/c I was having some fletching contact with the rest, some of the fletching is wavy and not straight.

Anyway, suggestions arrow brand is apprec. I may stick to beman, but thought it was worth considering alternatives.

Old 04-18-2003, 06:25 AM

Broadheads can work great from a stiffer arrow. Don' t count them out because the charts say so. Question is: do they group?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:51 AM
nub

tealboy: If your still smokeing the concrete wall, I' d reccomend going with a less expensive carbon shaft. Might also be time for you to invest in a cheap fletching tool. Like the arizona easy fletch. Buy some new vanes(you said wavy) and repair the last 6 or 7 of your current shafts. Why don' t you give us the details on your whole set up and perhaps we can help you stay in the target.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:19 AM

I would recommend Gold Tip 5575' s or the size lower 3555' s (?) they are pretty cheap and great arrows, the hunter .006 may be perfect for you. Check out e-bay, they have some great deals on them.

What type of rest are you using?? You have to index the nocks (spin them) to allow for feather clearance between the prongs. If you are going to hunt i would recommend an offset - much better flight with BH' s. Also consider feathers, they will tolerate much more rest contact and still fly good.

If you still need help feel free to PM me.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

found a great deal on arrows today. Bass pro has some arrows that are made by Beman and the mgr said they are the same construction as the ICS 400' s, but without the refined finish. They get a large volume discount (this store rec' d 200 dozen itself) and sell them for $34.88/dozen. This includes cutting and inserts. The way I shoot, figured two dozen was the way to go.

Quick Reply: Got arrows cut, now I must buy new ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.