Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds

Old 04-17-2003, 04:24 PM

Default Ground Blinds

I' ve always been an advocate of natural cover and good camo when hunting whitetails. I also hunt the majority of the time on the ground.

Over the past couple years though, I' ve found it tough to find adequate cover during the late season to feel confident about being concealed. I have to admit too, as I get older, I find it hard to sit still for hours on end no matter what type of seat/stool I' m sitting on.

I was looking at the Outhouse blind as something that might be worth purchasing. I want something light, easy to set up, and wont break the bank.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Ground Blinds

Personally I dont see the point in wasting the money to buy a blind when you can make one yourself. Find out the place(s) youre going to hunt and build one out of natural materials on the ground around you, all you need is something to break up your natural pattern. Ive found that fallen pine branches linked together make a perfect blind, you can set a stool up and lean your back up against a tree. This last season I made a blind like this, and the day after season closed I was walking to take my blind apart and standing there not 20 yards from where I had sat the previous morning was a nice 3x4 Whitetail!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

I JUST GOT A " DOGHOUSE" I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH IT ON MY TURKEY HUNT IN TN. VERY QUICK AND EASY TO SET UP , A LITTLE TOUGHER TO TAKE DOWN BUT REALLY STILL QUICK AND EASY. THEN YOU CAN MOVE ALOT MORE FREELY BIGGEST PROBLEM WAS SITTING ON THE GROUND, A STOOL WOULD MAKE IT EASIER TO SEE OUT . NOT REAL EXPENSIVE BUT I WOULD STILL LIKE TO SEE A DOUBLE BULL. BUT THEY ARE 4-5 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Personally I dont see the point in wasting the money to buy a blind when you can make one yourself. Find out the place(s) youre going to hunt and build one out of natural materials on the ground around you, all you need is something to break up your natural pattern. Ive found that fallen pine branches linked together make a perfect blind, you can set a stool up and lean your back up against a tree. This last season I made a blind like this, and the day after season closed I was walking to take my blind apart and standing there not 20 yards from where I had sat the previous morning was a nice 3x4 Whitetail!

there are definate advantges to buying one instead of making your own. Making your own works fine on private land, but on public land, it' s kind of hard to do. You make a blind, and when you go to get in it, and either somebody else is usiong it or they are hunting right by it. With a store-bought blind, you are free to hunt anywhere you want.

I have the Ameristep Doghouse TSC...Love it...last season was my first time using it, but I didn' t have any luck (don' t think it was the blind' s fault)....only thing is that it only has windows on 3 sides and I noticed they (Ameristep) make one with 4 windows now...hmm, may have to check into that
Old 04-18-2003, 06:08 AM

[8D]I USE THE AMERISTEP PENTHOUSE. THIS DOG IS BIG. GREAT WINDOW SET-UP ON ALL SIDES. GET A FOLD-OUT DIRECTORS CHAIR WITH ARMS AND A CUP HOLDER. WORKS GREAT FOR CUP OF JOE, POP, OR WHATEVER. I USE A GROUND STAKE BOW HOLDER SO I DON' T HAVE TO HOLD MY BOW FOR HOURS. SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE GREAT OUTDOORS. HAD DEER WALK RIGHT UP TO THE WINDOWS AND LOOK IN. BOY DO THEY RUN WHEN YOU GO BOOO.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:54 AM

i hunt exclusivly on the ground. i feel that natural cover is best. Why spend the money when mother nature provides you with all the materials. Heres an idea- i cut a blind in under a pine tree. i used the limbs that i cut oout to make secind blind they both work well.

hunt on hunt hard eat well
Old 04-18-2003, 08:19 AM

I own an Outhouse blind and I have no complaints. It' s cheap, light, easy to set up and take down and is plenty large enough to draw in. I don' t ground hunt often unless I' m spot and stalking but have had reasonable success when I' ve used it. Brush it in good and you' ll do fine.

Also, if you have small kids you' re introducing to hunting, this blind is a lifesaver! I take my son out a few times a season and we can both sit in it fine. It sure helps hide his movement, he' s only 7.

Old 04-18-2003, 09:36 AM

I have a AMERISTEP DOGHOUSE, it weights about 12lbs, and sets up in about 5 seconds out of the pack. It takes about a minute to stake it out if you want to do that and another minute to install the roof braces if you want them in for more height. This is in the predawn darkness.
You don' t need the ground stake ( windy yes or not windy ,no) or the roof braces ( pops the dome up about 6 to 8 inches)if you don' t want them.
The carring pack has a pocket for the stakes that is big enough to put in some personal items if you want.
Mine came with the plastic and screen windows to make it scent proof. I don' t use them. I replaced them with a camo shoot thur screen that I bought at Gander Mt for a couple of bucks. Actually pined it in from the inside and It works great. I like the Keep It Simple principal.
I can sit in my blind with all three windows open( door side has no window.), covered with the screen and draw my bow with no problem. If you have your bow set too heavy were you have to raise it up to draw you are going to have a problem in any blind. Your arrow will hit the roof as you draw.
I like my Doghouse.

I have also hunted out of a DoubleBull or Bow blind while Antelope hunting. Very roomy and lots of shooting ports or windows. Nice blind. It was set up on a water hole by the guide so I have no idea what it weighs or how fast it sets up but Im sure it is more than the Doghouse and doesn' t collaspe as small to carry.

I use my Doghouse for Turkey and Muzzleloading Deer hunting.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:49 PM

Make sure it is big enough to draw you bow in and not hit the sides.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Go with the dog house. it only weighs 12 lbs, and has it' s own back pack . sets up quick and plenty room to draw your bow. it has the black inner linner that prevents the animal from seein you. and the shoot through mesh to.
and to top it off, cabelas had them on sale for about $79.00 a few weeks ago.
also wings supply had them on sale.
it' s a great blind for that price. can' t beat it with a stick!!

Quick Reply: Ground Blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.