Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first archery season >

My first archery season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first archery season

Old 04-17-2003, 12:37 PM

Default My first archery season

I was pretty successful in seeing the deer.8 different buck and 2 doe. but unfortunately all were out of range. Then finally toward the end of archery a six pointer came running in so i tried to stop him by bleat calling. He did stop but behind a tree and all i could see was his back legs. I had a ski mask on becuase it was a cold and windy day. When he walked out from behind the tree i went to take a shot. I put my face toward the bow and the ski mask slid to far to the right and i was not able to really see out of my right eye. I guessed with my left on where I was aiming. I took the shot and ended up missing him. The shot was on but a little too high.[:@] It was a fun archery season but still wish i would not have put on that ski mask.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:08 PM

Default RE: My first archery season

I wish you wouldn' t have taken the shot.

Please don' t shoot, and hope to hit something.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on Plaid Dad' s comment.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:26 PM

I agree, only take shots you know you will make. That said good season. My first two seasons were spent watching deer. I always found a way to not get into a shooting position. Then my third year I harvested a 7 point buck on public land and it was Jan to boot. I was very cold but that day I made no mistakes. Every year since I have harvested no less than 2 deer per year. I shot a Pope&Young WT and a P&Y Antelope last year so it seems in bow hunting success begets success. Keep at it but don' t take low percentage shots. You should buy a " Balaclava" (?spelling) they are warm and can be used in many ways. With mine I can slide the part covering my nose and mouth down with my thumb as I complete my draw cycle. Then I just put my kisser button in the corner of my mouth and shoot. Hope this helps!
Bill
Old 04-17-2003, 02:38 PM

Thats a pretty good first season if you ask me
Old 04-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Deadlyrifle, I have to agree with the other guys. I am not in anyway trying to put you down, but you really shouldn' t have taken that shot. Thank goodness that you missed, and didn' t hit the deer with a non vital or crippling hit. Hopefully you will take these posts as a learning process and constructive criticism. As hunters, no matter what weapon we choose to hunt with, we owe it the game that we hunt to be as proficient with our weapons as possible, and to only take shots that we are 100% sure about. We should never, ever release an arrow or pull the trigger if there is any doubt in our minds about the effectiveness of the shot that is provided. There have been alot of situations that I have had shots at some really quality animals, but passed because there was a chance of a marginal shot. I would much rather let an animal walk than to take a chance and hope for the best. I lost a buck years ago when I was a younger hunter because I shot when it was right at the point of the evening of being too late. It ended up being a gut shot. I spent two days searching for that buck and never found it. A farmer found it while picking corn on an adjacent peice of land a week later. I still to this day struggle with this incident. It was an agonizing experience. Our game deserve better than that. Please chalk it up to learning. Just practice, practice and practice some more. And make it a goal to nevcer take a shot that you aren' t completely confident in. Good luck in all your hunts. Bowhunting is a great thing!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:55 PM

Please guys, get off your ethical soapboxes, PLEASE. It was his first season, beginners make mistakes. True " ethics" are learned by trial and error. Most of us here made some bonehead moves when we first started bowhunting, hell I still do bonehead stuff sometimes and I' ve got 10+yrs of bowhunting. You live and learn. Good luck DeadlyRifle, you' ll get' em next season. One hint, you should practice with the same clothes you plan on hunting with, ie. face mask, gloves, etc. GOOD LUCK.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:49 PM

Im with Belle. First season jitters get the best of almost everyone. We make mistakes and learn from our experiances. Its what mold us into better hunters. Im sure ethics arent the issue, just nerves. Keep on them Deadlyrifle. You' ll get' m next year!
Old 04-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

[The shot was on but a little too high] Sounds like you misjudged the yardage,I think most of us would have done the same thing our first season. Only 50% would admit to it though. The other 50% are lying to themselves. Keep at it sucess will come through practice and mistakes. Good Luck Next Season.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:09 PM

Please guys, get off your ethical soapboxes, PLEASE
Amen

He will learn more from that FIRST season error than any thing he hears on these boards about ethics. I am glad he took the shot, if there are ethics in him, he will learn, and I am sure he will do his best to not make that mistake again.

I personally am glad there wasn' t a camera above me my first few years

Quick Reply: My first archery season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.