Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Airborne Elk?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Airborne Elk?

I just had a great deal land in my lap. One of my wife's old friends invited us up to Or. for Sept. Elk season. Have a place to stay, all we need is airfare and tag money! My question I guess is how many have flown with hunting equip. (Bow,gear,packs) lately? Any tips I need to know?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Airborne Elk?

Why not just drive it???? I think I'd be too nervous to pack up my stuff and put it on a plane. Plus if you get lucky (meaning kill an elk), you'll want to bring that meat home, and it'll be a lot easier in a bunch of coolers on ice than trying to get it shipped IMHO.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Well I guess I could, that is a option, but I only have a week available to use(work) and a 19hr drive would take a bit of the fun(time) out of it, I think. Also have done the math and price wise air fare to gas/time I break even with a favoring to air... Don't know, thats why I'm asking. Wifes friendshusband will pack meat (if it happens) for shipping home. I have heard and read that the best way is to UPS or FED EX bow and equip there a few days in advance so I know its there and waiting, not in lost baggage area in outer B.F.E. with gorillas jumping on it.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me driving is always the best plan, simply because it allows you so much more flexibility in what you take.

There have been trips where I had to fly, but you will have to cut equipment down to a bare minimum. Then the trip home if you get a Bull is even more Fun

Sounds like Fun!! Good Luck!

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can ship extra gear out ahead of time UPS and I have done that. I had the Elk meat packaged, froze, and then overnighted to me once I was home.

Cost was over $500. I wouldn't do that again!![8D]

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

When flying, dont overlook all the extra space in your bow case. I pack it full of t-shirts, socks, etc. Helps to cushion the bow and cuts down on baggage.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fletch920

When flying, dont overlook all the extra space in your bow case. I pack it full of t-shirts, socks, etc. Helps to cushion the bow and cuts down on baggage.
Good Advice!

I always do that, even when I'm driving

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Driving 19 hours would be a pain. My last deer hunting trip I took to the midwest I traveled via air. It took a lot of planning and a lot of coordination. A couple of weeks prior to trip, I Fedex'ed most of mygear to my brother. This included mytree stand, bulky clothing and things you would not want to carryin your baggage.A double bow case will provide additional room for clothing especially. I got a nice deerand I bought a cooler to take (some) meat back home. $25 extra baggage on Southest.A carryon cooler forthe deer cape (frozen) and I shipped the horns via Fedex back to my home. It was additional cost and some additional work but 19 hour drive orfour hour flying time and layover. It seemed to be a much better option.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fletch920

I suppose you could always SHIP your bow out, to make sure it's safe, and then fly out separate. I just get leary about my bow being where anyone could potentially mess with it.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know with the price of Airfare currently flying is very tempting!

I have a ticket bought and in a few weeks I'll be flying from STL to Spokane, WA. roundtrip for $263 including all taxes.

2,000 miles? That was a No brainer decision for me.

Dan

Quick Reply: Airborne Elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.