Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tell me about Turkey Broadheads >

Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

Old 02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

I know it's probably been covered before, but indulge me.

I shot a fall bird with a two blade rage, but I was deer hunting at the time. What works out there? I am getting geared for the spring.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

Ben, I can't think of a better head that the large cutting diameter of your Rages..

I'll be using my Snypers for spring birds.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the same broadhead for everything. Grim Reaper 100gr Razortips....I can see no real reason to change from whatever your normal broadhead is.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone else?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ben, Even though I don't use them I think a Big nasty Mechanical would be Great on turkeys. I've killed all my Bow killed Turkeys with some model of Slick Trick.

The only head I don't like that is actually touted as a Gobbler head is the NAP Gobbler Getter. I think the rounded head is too prone to skipping off if you have a steep angle. A layer of feathers is tougher than you think. I know there are guys that use them and swear by them, but I also know several that have had less than ideal results. Anyone that shoots them should be aware of the angle.

I have also tested some of the giant cut heads, Magnus Bullhead, etc. but was never able to get the flight and accuracy I demand and expect out to 30 yards.

I may load up some Spitfire XP's this spring when I head to KS. I think the Synper that Rob uses would be a good choice also. Any head that is sturdy, cuts a good hole, and flies well will work.

As in Hunting anyGame there is No substitute for a well placed shot

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
G92
Fork Horn

i will be using either rage or thunder heads i think anything would work tho.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

What many don't think about or consider when bowhuntingthunder chickensis fly-off after a shot. It happens, and think about how difficult it would be to track a bow shot turkey after it flys off!! For that reason its best to lower your bows poundage, and use a large bladed mechanical type head to actually lower penetration, and keep the arrow in the bird. Some also use a carp fishing type rig with a string.
I prefer the NAP Gobbler Getters myself, becasue they are designed for less penetration. Thats why they have the blunt tip. I've never heard of a ricochet with this head, but suppose that is possible. But if thats the case chances are your shot is off to begin with! Every bow killed turkey I've taken has been with these heads, and I have yet to loose one using them. Another option is using a reg. deer hunting head, and putting a Adder Point on the end of your shaft. Cabelas offers them. This also has the same slowing effect.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Anybody hear anything good about those turkey tearrors?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of the NAP gobblergetter deflecting. I have shot tons of birds with them and at numerous angles with no problem. They will be in my quiver again this fall.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

i've been shopping for turkey heads and have found im goin with the bullhead. looked at the gobbler getters and did not git much positive feedback. check the reviews on cabelas.com, there was alot of "all i brought home was an arrow with a clump of feathers"

Quick Reply: Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.