Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant >

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Old 02-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Good news for you then. I think WV DNR should make the area selfbow only. No compounds, not fiberglass recurves. Handmade selfbow only shooting only wooden arrows. That way those bucks would really reach thier potential. its only good for the deer.
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

I just got back from the DNR Commission Meeting held in Flatwoods today. There was an impressive standing-room only crowd present for the meeting. Most of the people that elected to speak at the meeting spoke on this very topic. All of them were against any form of gun season in these counties. There was not a single person attending that spoke in favor of opening a gun season. The NRA was also strangly absent which surprised me as it was their actions that started this mess in the first place. At the end they took a headcount of all those in favor of keeping it bow-only and all those in favor of some form of gun season. The vote was 152 to 0 to keep it bow-only. I think that says it all. I think you will find a few people who do want a gun season in these counties, but the vast majority of the locals that actually live there want to keep it bow only.

The good news is that the DNR stated emphatically that there was currently no plans on opening a gun season in the four bow-only counties.

Of course they want it bow only, the bowhunters are selfish plain and simple, I could of told you the out come weeks ago!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Of course they want it bow only, the bowhunters are selfish plain and simple, I could of told you the out come weeks ago!
Call it what you want. The DNR Commission meeting was the appropriate place for those individuals who supported a gun season to voice their opinion if they truly wanted something to be done about it. No one showed.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

My opinion is the NRA is doing exactly what they should be doing, obtaining mote hunting lands for hunters! More power to them!!!! Sounds to me like some Bowhunters in WV are being a little selfish. jmo!
How do you figure that the NRA will obtain more hunting lands? The amount of hunting lands will not change. The only thing that will change is that you will be able to hunt with a different type of weapon in these same areas.
I think you answered your own question! They're trying to obtain more hunting lands for its members that hunt. They are doing the exact same thing the WVBA is trying to do. I don't understand is why can't the guys that hunt with different weapons have a crack at these bucks and does your talking about?? What if these guys own land there and want to hunt they're own land and do so with a gun?
I agree completely, and also think it's a bit selfish. I don't understand how one could say you're going to devastate the buck population...no true. I'm from Indiana, I can tell you this, our gun hunters helped establish the deer population we have today. First you're going to be generating more revenue because of the additional season. Secondly, why can't you put a restriction on the season to say 3 days of firearms? I don't understand why people jump on the NRA's back so quick. I think they are doing the right thing.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cooter144

ORIGINAL: DannyD

ORIGINAL: cooter144

Of course if they do make these counties open to gun hunting it probably wouldn't take long for the "brown its downers" to to wipe out enough of the buck herdto eventually make hunting there no better than the rest of the state.

Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong.
But it should be about setting the proper kill limits to control the herd sizenot aboutbanning guns.
What's wrong with being a "brown it's down" guy? If you want to impose your idea of a trophy on someone else go buy up some land and manage it.
Wherein my post didI try to impose my idea of a trophy on anyone? All I said is people want to rifle hunt there because there arebig bucks present...BUT...the reason there arebig bucks there is because there is no rifle hunting aloud. I didn't say there is anything wrong with "brown it's down".

BTW...I dohunt privateland and manage it but thanks for your advice.
yeah I think you're wrong. What was the world record typical killed with? Where was it killed? Does saskatchewan still produce monster deer in massive numbers despite gun hunting? The answer is yes. What about the kids who can't hunt with a bow yet? Can't we give them a shot with a firearm? As for the browner downer comment, that was implied, you have to admit that. I hunt private land and manage it also, so how does this affect you that much unless you only hunt a couple acres? You know a deer's core area is usually less than a square mile right? if the guys around you manage I don't think you're going to be seeing much of an effect. Just saying.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Spike

I live in the smack middle of the four bow only counties in Southern WV and I don't give a rats butt as to what any outsider thinks about this. The point is that the people here want this to be kept bow-only, in a unanimous decision. If you wanna come to our area to hunt then hunt by our rules. Do we go into counties up north and fuss and cry about making it bow-only? No. You guys want it kept open to gun season, so if we hunt there, then we have to play by your rules, its only fair that you do the same when you come to our counties to hunt.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: concordmountaineer

I live in the smack middle of the four bow only counties in Southern WV and I don't give a rats butt as to what any outsider thinks about this. The point is that the people here want this to be kept bow-only, in a unanimous decision. If you wanna come to our area to hunt then hunt by our rules. Do we go into counties up north and fuss and cry about making it bow-only? No. You guys want it kept open to gun season, so if we hunt there, then we have to play by your rules, its only fair that you do the same when you come to our counties to hunt.
From someone who also hunts and comes smack dab to the middle (well edge) of those counties, what in the world are you talking about????? Nobody here is saying they are not going to play by Mingo's etc rules?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

From someone who also hunts and comes smack dab to the middle (well edge) of those counties, what in the world are you talking about????? Nobody here is saying they are not going to play by Mingo's etc rules?
I thought what he said was pretty clear. He doesn't want outsiders like the NRA to come in and dictate rules when the people who live there don't want it. I know you said earlier that you know several people who want a gun season in these counties, but where were they during the Commission meeting. I can tell you where. They were like the NRA (Not Really Around). I don't know why you are still arguing this, bigcountry. It really doesn't matter anymore.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

This was pretty comical at it's best.... kinda got the "where you goin' city boy" vibe to it! too funny! [:-][:-]

madvilledoc
Another funny thing is that the 116" bucks are giants down in those 4 counties, I can see why you don't want any gun hunters there! lol...

You boys enjoy your hunting now ya here!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

This was pretty comical at it's best.... kinda got the "where you goin' city boy" vibe to it! too funny! [:-][:-]

madvilledoc
Another funny thing is that the 116" bucks are giants down in those 4 counties, I can see why you don't want any gun hunters there! lol...

You boys enjoy your hunting now ya here!
BowHuntingFool,

I'm not even sure what stake you even have is this discussion. Maybe you just like to argue. 116 inch bucks are pretty common in this area (a dime a dozen), although I wouldn't call them giants. I don't know where you got that. 116 bucks would, however, be a trophy anywhere else in the state.

Now we don't see the kinds of buck you see in the midwest, but 140 and 150 inch deer are common. The top bucks taken each year are usually in the 160-180's. Last year, one of the buck that came off of my lease in one of those counties grossed over 169 (officially scored) and was the 6th ranked buck taken by bow in the state last year and was featured in this month Bow & Arrow Magazine. A buck taken this year, just a couple of miles away grossed in the low 190's. Now if you don't call those trophies, I'm glad your hunting area is overrun by 200 inch plus deer.

Quick Reply: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.