Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant >

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc
You make it sound as if there are a few bowhunters that want to keep the vast majority of everyone else from hunting these areas with a gun. The exact opposite is true. If it was left entirely up the local residents, we would not have a problem.
Not true at all. You make it sound like locals only want bow. I know several people from Dingess, Gilbert, Pineville, Matewanarea that wants to gun hunt.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

This sounds harsh but i dont think its really a factor of what the people want at all. The regulation of put there for the reason, to boost the deer population, if that goal has been met and the population is now sustainable then it should be taken off and guns should be allowed. If the quota isnt met and the herd still isnt large enough then it should stay bow only. Those variables should be the only thing that decide this!!!!!
ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You make it sound as if there are a few bowhunters that want to keep the vast majority of everyone else from hunting these areas with a gun. The exact opposite is true. If it was left entirely up the local residents, we would not have a problem.
Not true at all. You make it sound like locals only want bow. I know several people from Dingess, Gilbert, Pineville, Matewanarea that wants to gun hunt.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

mad,
The WVDNR should dictate how many deer are taken each season. I'm glad that the numbers are increasing in that area.
BUT...
I brought a neighbors son out on his first gun hunt this year. He shot a small 4 point and was so proud of what he did and his "trophy". I brought a l;ot of joy to him, his family and me.
Because you have a different idea of what a trophy is you would prevent this from happening in your area? What makes your idea of a trophy right and others wrong?
There are those that could give a flip about antlers and hunt for meat. Is that wrong? So now thay have to learn to use a bow? What if they don't like bowhunting?
Maybe it's not the place of the NRA to be dictating this but I certainly disagree with you that it should be bowhunting only because you want bigger horns

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I can definitely understand why some people want to gun hunt there. If they don't bow hunt, that may be the only way they can get a chance at a big buck. Of coarse their chance would only last one year. After that the big bucks will be gone and hunting in those counties will be similar to hunting in the rest of the state except you have a much lower deer population.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tmontgo1

This sounds harsh but i dont think its really a factor of what the people want at all. The regulation of put there for the reason, to boost the deer population, if that goal has been met and the population is now sustainable then it should be taken off and guns should be allowed. If the quota isnt met and the herd still isnt large enough then it should stay bow only. Those variables should be the only thing that decide this!!!!!

Not true at all. You make it sound like locals only want bow. I know several people from Dingess, Gilbert, Pineville, Matewan area that wants to gun hunt.

What kind of mindset is this?? If there is a deer population problem there, why is ANYBODY hunting there period?????
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM
bigcountry

I can definitely understand why some people want to gun hunt there. If they don't bow hunt, that may be the only way they can get a chance at a big buck. Of coarse their chance would only last one year. After that the big bucks will be gone and hunting in those counties will be similar to hunting in the rest of the state except you have a much lower deer population.
Pike and Martin county, ky doesn't seem to have an issue right across the border. Big deer are killed with bow and gun. 70's were a different time. Poaching was standard operation.Lots of peoplehad 4 wheelers with 4 spot lights on them. Things had to change. Still poaching is a huge issue in those counties.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

What kind of mindset is this?? If there is a deer population problem there, why is ANYBODY hunting there period?????
Across the border in KY, they had to do just that for a few years. When they made these rules, it was rare to meet a bowhunter.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

As madville said in his post, the regulation was put in during the seventies when the population was wiped out, like most of the rest of the state in the early last century. The goal was to get a sustainable herd back, and that is a conservation mindset.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
bigcountry

As madville said in his post, the regulation was put in during the seventies when the population was wiped out, like most of the rest of the state in the early last century. The goal was to get a sustainable herd back, and that is a conservation mindset.
I think what he is asking is, why even bowhunters are allowed then? If I remember right,its because there wasn't many bowhunters period in that time.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

By making bow hunting only it takes off alot of pressure. Go to a game station in WV the first and second day of gun season and see how many deer come in. Then go the first and second day of archery. Ur going to see a huge deficit.

Quick Reply: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.