Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Special Attention Next Season >

Special Attention Next Season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Special Attention Next Season

Old 01-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Special Attention Next Season

I am moving from hunting the high groundto back in the riverbottoms.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Other than running Trail Cams a little more during late Summer, it will be much the same for me.

Tactics are Great, but Nothing beats time in the Woods!

There are a lot of Right places, being there at the Right time is the key

Dan
Awe yes, I should have added that to my original post. I intend on getting my first digital and see what I see.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

If the weather allows spring planting the regular rotation, I know exactly where I am putting up stands in three locations on a new piece of hunting property I only got to hunt in late season this past season. One of my old favorite areas should be good again after a dismal season last year because of logging across the road kept the deer from traveling through it. Man I can't wait.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to camoflauge my stands a little better. In the summer they were great but when the leaves fell they really stood out. Also I want to do a little down the way trimming so that I can see a little more of the fields across the treelines. And maybe make a few more convinient trails for the deer to walk closer to my stands.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have just a few things that I would like to work on next year.[8D]I would like to work onmy patience, and sit longer in the stand. I would also like to get myself to hunt more mornings, and when I do, I need to get in the stand earlier. I am also thinking about hunting without scents next year. It seems like every year I spend a ton of money on them, and I can honestly say that in roughly 15 years of using them, I have never seen a time when they have helped at all.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be trying some new spots and fine tuning some exhistingsetups based on the movement I observed this past season.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My goal is to add another 5-10 productive hunting spots. With late season scouting as the key, along with the camera.
I have been out about 7 or 8 times already, since my season ended on Dec 15th...

This late season scouting has proved to be advantageous so far, continually trying to learn the deer habits as best as can be.
I have decided to tweak a few areas...

1) My "cemetery" stand location has proved that I was set-up about 50 yards from a bedding area and probably bumped the deer once in a while as I went to my stand.
So I'll set up farther down this parcel of land, about 150 yards south from the bedding area. Also add another stand location across the cemetery with lots of pics.
2) My "forest" stand will be moved about 75 yards where I located an intersection of trails. This was a last minute stand location I tried last year with a few good sightings.
So I'm optimistic about my selection, just some fine tuning and lots of pics..

So far I have added 5 new locations that may prove to be winners come pre-season scouting, with another dozen prospects yet to be scouted...

Homework-homework-homework!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be hunting different areas next year. The area I hunted for years has very few deer. I'll give them a rest for a while.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

My goal is to add another 5-10 productive hunting spots. With late season scouting as the key, along with the camera.
I have been out about 7 or 8 times already, since my season ended on Dec 15th...

This late season scouting has proved to be advantageous so far, continually trying to learn the deer habits as best as can be.
I have decided to tweak a few areas...

1) My "cemetery" stand location has proved that I was set-up about 50 yards from a bedding area and probably bumped the deer once in a while as I went to my stand.
So I'll set up farther down this parcel of land, about 150 yards south from the bedding area. Also add another stand location across the cemetery with lots of pics.
2) My "forest" stand will be moved about 75 yards where I located an intersection of trails. This was a last minute stand location I tried last year with a few good sightings.
So I'm optimistic about my selection, just some fine tuning and lots of pics..

So far I have added 5 new locations that may prove to be winners come pre-season scouting, with another dozen prospects yet to be scouted...

Homework-homework-homework!!!
So true Ed, so true! I did forget to mention when I started this thread that post season scouting will get MUCH more attention this year as well. I was just out today locating bedding area's in my woods. I did find a couple fresh beds as well as this "annual" rub tree. I'll be hunting in between this bedding area and the food source for next season, among other spots.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what I'll try next year....everything has been working pretty good and getting to see a lot of deer. I guess I will be more aggressive with my trail cam's to try and locate a big buck....I always get small to decent bucks but never nothing big to just focus and hunt. I do have a couple new areas that could be promising and I will trail camera them first.

Also I never got to upgrade my treestands with new cables and stuff like I wanted, so I will be doing that for sure this spring. I definetly got used to hunting with a fall system this year, and from here on out will be doing that.

Quick Reply: Special Attention Next Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.