Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA Crossbow vote........4-3 *UPDATE Page 6* >

PA Crossbow vote........4-3 *UPDATE Page 6*

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA Crossbow vote........4-3 *UPDATE Page 6*

Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Crossbow vote........4-3

The NRA was a big supporter/pusher on getting this bill passed In PA.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anybody want to buy a Horton 4x32 CB scope cheap?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have shared the80 acres I hunt with 2 Crossbow hunters the last 2years. It is no problem with me because they use crossbows. I've killed more deer than the 2 of them combined.

I wish they would hunt a little smarter as far as the wind is concerned, but I learned pretty quick to use what they do to my advantage

Dan
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say it's surprising. Won't affect what I am trying to do on my main bowhunting piece. More pressure around the cabin land from state, it actually may help. I will bet that I find a few more tresspassers though.

PS. Matt, good to see ya back. Met your brother in law the other night at Gander? Hope things are well.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just lost my lunch....[&:]

All I can say to the PGC is..."Thank god I have private land to hunt that they haven't f'd up yet"
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Finch

Virginia went that way a few years or so ago. Welcome to the club.[&o] The state wants more revenue and this is one way to do it.
Yep. I live in VA and one thing I found interesting....probably 50% of the guys that I know that used to bowhunt every now and then...and less and less each year, ended up getting xbows and hunting with them more. The die hard bowhunters still use a std bow. I was looking at the stats and kills in VA...you can see a shift the xbow made over the past few years, though our overall kill hasn't really changed. I don't really care either way. If it makes someone happy, and want to use one...great. I personally don't really like them and wouldn't use one unless I couldn't use my std bow. To me its kinda like the baiting issue...not for me, but in many areas its legal and people like to do it.

WV....well they still don't have it. Of course over there they use the .223 instead of a bow during any season they want anyways, so they wouldn't use them anyhow
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is some actual discussion that happened at the meeting and just how really messed up the voting process is when you think about it. 7.....yes 7 people make this decision for the entire state and I think only one has bowhunted at all?
They are smart people, but it's quite apparent that there isn't really a concensus on what should or shouldn't be done. In the end 1 person.........ONE made the deciding vote to bring crossbows to our archery season:

Just read the differing views among several of the commissioners who voted. The process really boggles my mind.

Commissioner Weaner:

My vote on the crossbow issue will be no:

Felt overwhelmingly hunters were opposed to them.

Felt it was foolish to upset the majority of PA hunters.

He felt there would not be the big recruitment as many proclaimed.

Just saw no up side for inclusion.

Commissioner Boop:

I intend to vote no.

Stated that for two years he was the President of the BOC. In that position he controlled the dissemination of information to the BOC. In that time he never saw crossbows on the radar.

In June of last year one commissioner suggested we look at it. Seven months later here we are on a final vote to approve it.

The BOC has always moved slow. Slow and methodical on bear archery, deer management, and other seasons and initiatives (he had a long list).

Why the rush on this??

He stated, every commissioner got 500 to a 1000 emails and letters on this issue. The urban areas more on the high side. In his emails, it went 90/10. 90% opposed inclusion. He was hearing the same from other commissioners.

He agreed with Commissioner Weaner, that the BOC was going to annoy hunters and harm the six week archery season.

He suggested that it was legislative interference and threats driving this vote. Mentioned that regardless of the vote by the BOC, members of the legislature have indicated they would introduce bills to stop inclusion, or mandate inclusion. Legislative interference is the last thing we (hunters) need.

Suggested options for, and types of info needed to be studied. Stated that if this is such a good proposal now, it will still be a good proposal in 2010. Lets do due diligence on this and not rush.

He noted that the BOC is changing. There will be three new commissioners on board by next year. They will need to deal with the fallout of this decision. Doesn't seem fair.

Vote this down, or table it and do the due diligence.

Commissioner Boop then made a formal amendment proposal to table the agenda item.

Amendment failed 3-4

Yeahs: Boop, Weaner, Delaney

Commissioner Palone:

State there are fears that support for wildlife management will suffer by individuals and groups. She didn't think that would happen.

Hunting is losing numbers. Stated the average age of hunters in this state is the same as the population average of Florida.

She stated that the crossbow will not ruin archery season. Used other examples of gloom and doom predictions of things the GC passed.

Suggested all look at the big picture. Used organized groups with a real and active agenda to do away with hunting in Allegheny County as an example.

Commissioner Schleiden:

We are not rushing to judgement on this issue. The history is clear, the UBP has fought this three times over the years. Details are on their website.

The NRA has a hunting division. They responded when they found out about the issue. The commission has gone out of the way for all to be heard.

This is a freedom of choice issue. But it is also a Not In My Backyard (NIMBY) issue. In the end, this will aid in cleaning up the regulations.

On BOC transition to other members. Never was a problem. But with the amendment just passed they will have a chance to put their face on this issue. Stated he was not crazy about the optics and sunset provisions, but made sense with new people coming on board.

In the end the vote went 4-3 for inclusion of crossbows to the regular PA archery season.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

No magnifying sights. Scopes must have no magnification regardless of reticle type, crosshair or red dot.

I previously thought it was going to allow 1X scopes but that doesn't appear to be the case.......according to the actual amendment discussion and voting:
Does a 1X scope do anything?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

No magnifying sights. Scopes musthave no magnification regardlessof reticle type, crosshair or red dot.

I previously thought it was going to allow 1X scopes but that doesn't appear to be the case.......according to the actual amendment discussion and voting:
Does a 1X scope do anything?
Good question? LOL I've never used one enough to really look at it to see if there is 1X magnification. Is 1X the same as 0X ?
Sounds dumb I knowbut I'm not a big scope gun guy so I really do not know the exact difference between "No magnification" and 1X or if there IS any at all?

Quick Reply: PA Crossbow vote........4-3 *UPDATE Page 6*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.