Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow >

Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Here in west Texas there's a big difference between jackrabbits and cotton tails.If it's been cold and snowy I will eat a cotton tail,jack rabbits are worthless on a good day! Shooting the G5 small game heads will tear them a new one! We shoot jacks off alfalfa fields in off season and it's great fun just guessing range,they don't go to waste with yotes around!The jack rabbit hides could have all kind of parisites during the warmer months here.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

If you can hit them your bow will kill them. They are a blast with a bow. I've chaced them with Trad equipment a bunch and they are fun. In fact I'm going in Feb to the Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt (GORH) All traditional guys chasing rabbit its a blast.

Steve if you were closer you'd love it.
Is that being advertised over on Trad Gang right now? I saw that they had a few rabbit shoots all lined up. That sure would be a blast!!
Yep thats the one. I went to one a few years ago...No rabbits but we had a blast. A good bunch of trad guys too.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Jacks are WAY tougher than cottontails. If I was specifically going after jacks, I would do it with broadheads. I shot many with blunts and judos that got away down in TX.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

I have shot cottentails with a bow but never jackrabbits - I am pretty sure everyone else was refering to them too. From what I hear jacks are a bit tougher, not sure if blunts will quickly dispatch them, at least with body shots? Cottentails are easy to kill with a blunt.
That's the same thing I was thinking!

Cottontails are a blast! No Jack rabbits around here

Dan
Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

People who tie flies will give you a few bucks for pelts sometimes to use as dubbing
Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot a few rabbits with my bow. I guess ours are more cottontails than jackrabbits but those G5 Small Game Heads work the best of anything I have ever used. Every rabbit I have shot with them has dropped quickly and of the last 5 only one needed to be finished off.

Get out there and get into them its great fun and depending on how much they are hunted it can be great stalking practice too.

This was the first thing I shot with my 82nd when i got it.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Spike

for small game hunting you can't go past howies varmint busters pack one hell of a punch and are very tough and affordable here is a link for ordering
http://www.aussiebowhunter.com/showthread.php?t=11734