Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many coyotes with a bow?? >

How many coyotes with a bow??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many coyotes with a bow??

Old 04-14-2003, 10:10 PM

Default How many coyotes with a bow??

I shot a 25 lb. coyote 2 years ago out of my treestand at about 25 yards. I had a shoulder mount done because the coyote was in great condition. The mount turned out beautifull. I haven`t talked anybody who have shot a coyote with a bow. I would like to hear from anyone who has shot a coyote with a bow and their story.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:18 PM
CG

Default RE: How many coyotes with a bow??

We (my hunting partner and I ) killed 3 with bows this year...all were called in using pup distress calls while deer hunting (which is Sept. in WY). We hunt them through out the winter for their hides and kill between 60-100 each winter but those 3 with the bow were much more exciting than any we kill with a rifle (except for the one this winter that jumped over my partner' s legs ). Lots of fun and breaks up the boredom of long hikes for muleys.....
Old 04-15-2003, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

I killed one last year with my bow at 12 yards. I was watching a small buck feed for about 20 minutes on the edge of the woods and a cornfield that had just been opened up to pick the evening before. He suddenly looked in the corn and took off in the woods. I thought that this bigger buck that I was after was coming out of the corn. Here came this coyote trotting out and up to the edge of the woods where the buck went in about 80 yards from my treestand. I started mouth calling her ( a fast excited kissing sound) and she turned and looked my way and started trotting right down to me. She stopped about 12 yards from the tree looking into the brush for the sourceof the noise. I softly called again and she turned broadside and I put a Gold Tip right through her chest. It knocked her down and pinned her to the ground. She rolled over and off the arrow and got up and went about 30 yards and piled up. She was a beauty. 39 pounds with a beautiful coat and tail. Not a burr in her anywhere. I am having a full mount done of her. I called in and killed a really nice red fox in 99 the same way and did a neat full mount of it. I was pretty proud of the coyote. I would post a pic on here but I know if I did that White Raven would say that it was a fake, so I won' t bother. Just Kidding!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got one last season on Thanksgiving with my bow. 30 yard shot, I when I hit him a small buck jumped out of the bushes right next to him.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

I' m stalking one in my parent' s backyard right now but have yet to get him to approach from his 100+yd hiding place inside some brush and a tree line. can someone explain to me these mouth calls?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

bscofield. By mouthcalling I meant that I just used my actual voice. There are several predator calls out there. Most are wounded animal sounds, such as rabbits, etc. I just used my mouth and made fast, long drawn out kissing sounds. This worked great on my fox and my coyote. I saw the fox going across a feild about 150-175 yds. away and strted doing this really loud. He stopped in his tracks and just came running to the woods. Every time he would stop and look around I would do it again, and it ended up bringing him right in. Same with the coyote. It is about as cheap as a call as you can get!! I know guys that use the predator mouth calls well to. But I figured thatif I can get them in with my own voice, why spend the money.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:47 AM

You can also use tapes of coyotes or animals in distress. You can buy these tapes at most hunting supply stores or in Cabelas.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot one this year. Right in the temple with a field point. It was gross to say the least. The arrow didn' t pass through and it stuck into the ground on the other side. (he spun as I released)
I know bad me for using a field point, but I had a 4 arrow quiver and was down to 2 arrows when the 3 coyotes showed up. I' d allready shot at two pigs and only had my last perfect sidewinder left. So I opted for the field point.
I didn' t mount him though as I already have two dogs running around my house and don' t need another.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Ive seen a few while bowhunting deer, but have always got busted trying to draw my bow, this one I seen coming straight toward me from about 100 yds. out and when he got to within 50 yds. from me, I drew my bow, then he stopped about 10 yds. out and I hammered him.

Old 04-15-2003, 02:24 PM

ZERO - aint any yotes round here

Quick Reply: How many coyotes with a bow??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.