Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head Shots...?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Head Shots...?

Witha bow? Not a chance. With a gun? Not one that I use for hunting. I do have guns that I would feel very confident making a head shot, but, as I said, I don't hunt with those.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

With my bow never. With my rifle I have never had to shoot one in the head but have taken a couple of neck shots when circumstances called for it and they proved to be extremely lethal.

As far as head shots, where I hunt a lot of counties are buckshot only,if you give me my 3 1/2" 00, inside 35-40 yards you can cancel Christmas for any deer on the receiving end of that load. I have killed numerous deer with that combo and it is devastating. I don't necessarily aim for the head (more like the base of the skull where it meats the neck) but I'm sure it fits the head shot category.

Often times deer can carry buckshot a long way leaving a less than ideal blood trail (even when hit well) combine that with other circumstances like deer being pushed/run(adrenalin), impenetrable thickets/swamp, uncooperative neighboring landowners(no deer retrieval) and I will take a head shot (as described above) and be less likely to lose a deer to the above circumstance(which are fairly common in VA).

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Seriously, how much meat do you waste if you shoot a deer broadside thru the rib cage? Not much IMHO.
You obviously don't hunt with high velocity rifles. I've seen Ballistic Tips bloodshot the entire chest including most of both shoulders.
You got that right. You should've seen the damage to the doe I killed with my 7mm Remington Magnum this year.[:'(]Nasty.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

head shot with a gun is lethal to say the least, I wouldn't but it is perfectly lethal.. With a bow there should never even be the thought of trying it.. no
Neck shot is a good shot with a gun as well. But ya just can't beat a heart or lung shot.. Either Way!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I'm wrong then. I never did shoot a deer with a high velocity rifle. Rifled slugs and arrows only.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

seem like animal cruelty to me!!

[/align]
Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 AM

I was fortunate this year to only destroy 2 shoulders this year. They were on the same deer. my 30-06 tears everything it touches apart. I should have took pictures of them skinned.[:@]

If I get a good clean shot at the shoulder I'll take. end of story. but a great spot to hunt on the property is in the THICK brush. Every year there are deer down there. You just have to find a way in there without running them off. I climb up a tree a little so I can see down in the brush. Ideal rifle hunting (for me anyways) Sometimes the only clean shot is the head. So that's what I'll take.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Spike

Would only ever head shoot a rabbit with a bow all other game should be through the heart / lungs with a razor sharp BH. As for rifles I mostly only do head shots on all game I take with a rifle. In AustraliaI believe our pro roo shooters have to pass tests to prove they can hit the Bull 5 out 5 to ensure only clean head shots are taken before they receive their license.

When hunting or culling with whatever weapon I use I take the shot that will result in the cleanest fastest death for the animals being harvested. The trick is to shoot only when you are 100% confident in a clean harvest and not to succumb to the pressure of taking the shot to early for the sake of getting some trophy.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: RockSteady

Would only ever head shoot a rabbit with a bow all other game should be through the heart / lungs with a razor sharp BH. As for rifles I mostly only do head shots on all game I take with a rifle. In AustraliaI believe our pro roo shooters have to pass tests to prove they can hit the Bull 5 out 5 to ensure only clean head shots are taken before they receive their license.

When hunting or culling with whatever weapon I use I take the shot that will result in the cleanest fastest death for the animals being harvested. The trick is to shoot only when you are 100% confident in a clean harvest and not to succumb to the pressure of taking the shot to early for the sake of getting some trophy.
GOSPEL!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: RockSteady

GOSPEL!

Quick Reply: Head Shots...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.