Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head Shots...?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Head Shots...?

Bow never. Gun never.

If you think this is okay, here's what you need to picture. You need to picture a shot that blows off the deer's lower jaw and that poor deer has to starve to death. There is too much room for error (or not enough area to hit to allow for error).
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: djs06dc5

that's how i killed my buck this year(30.06). not on purpose though. deer was on a full out sprint, i lead him a little bit and fired. dropped about five feet from where i shot him. he was dead within (i'd say) 30-60 seconds. entry hole was his left ear, and the exit was his right jaw joint area.i am by no means bragging about it. i was pretty pissed (about placement)when i walked up to him. i have a pic of it, but wont post it unless it is requested.

can someone delete my double post...slow connection tonight for some reason.
Dan,
That's precisely WHY I won't shoot a moving deer. Too many things can go awful wrong. Not bashing you, because I know you realize you made a mistake, but that's a good example to use for others who are willing to risk that shot when they very much shouldn't.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 AM
Dominant Buck

If it's a close gun shot, and you have the skill and practice to do it, there's nothing wrong with taking a shot that guarantees an instant painless kill and no tracking. I've seen a hell of a lot more bucks with festering arrow wounds than misplaced head shots.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot last year in Illinois at the deer show there was a video being played of there team members shooting for head shots with bows!!! Makes you sick and heck these guys filmed it and were trying to sell them!!Walt
Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stikbow26

Shoot last year in Illinois at the deer show there was a video being played of there team members shooting for head shots with bows!!! Makes you sick and heck these guys filmed it and were trying to sell them!!Walt
Your kidding me Walt!!?? Who were these Intelligent beings??[>:]
Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was it those guy's from Relentless Pursuit. That guy seems to like head shot with the bow.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep! That was pretty Sad!![:@]

Dan
Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

MORONS. Who were they Walt?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sportsman22
Gun or bow, do you think head shots are appropriate?
Nope, not for me. I have never taken a head shot at any game animal with a weapon that fires a single projectile. Too risky for me. I'm a sorry shot with a rifle, and I'd never attempt it with a bow.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: sportsman22

Some idiot was bragging at the bar how he was out gun hunting and shot a doe in the head.

I interupt his story and basically telling him he's an idiot taking an unethical shot.

He argues he was saving meat.

Gun or bow, do you think head shots are appropriate?
Brad,
With an accurate gun, it's a slam dunk shot if the shooter is good. I've done it many times over, and it's a VERY QUICK and humane kill. All but one of those shots were using scoped rifles and muzzleloaders (75-150yds), the other shot was with a very accurate slug gun (40yds). In one instance, I took the brain to such an extent that I left the stem intact, and the heart was still fibrillating when I opened the deer. Call it morbid or whatever, but it IS a very effective shot when taken "appropriately."

But who is the judge of being a good shooter. Oneself? I've seen does with lower jaws missing. I'm betting those shooters thought they were good shooters too. I find it unacceptable.

Quick Reply: Head Shots...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.