Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dead Buck

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Dead Buck

I posted pictures of this guy a while back, but it was a really crummy cell phone pic. My uncle found him dead out in a big weed patch. Looks like he and another buck were locked, and the other buck broke loose. Wish I could have seen the other one!

I've finally brought it in the house to do something with it but can't decide what to do. I know I'm going to try and restore some of the color back to it for sure. I was thinking that it would make an awesome Euro mount, but with the skull being broke, I dont think that would be possible. Mounting it would be great but I don't have a cape to use, so buying that plus the cost of mounting would be too much for me right now.

Any other ideas?

Similarities???

Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dead Buck

Mount that thing! Wow! What a buck. A lot of taxi's have extra capes and if you pay for the mount they usually throw the cape in for free since most of them get the capes given to them in the first place. I would say Euro is out of the question. You could do an antler skull cap mount. You can pick those kits up and do it yourself.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

Mount that thing! Wow! What a buck. A lot of taxi's have extra capes and if you pay for the mount they usually throw the cape in for free since most of them get the capes given to them in the first place
Will definitely make a few calls tomorrow then! He would look amazing on the wall! I could see him in a "sneak" pose, lol.

So you are from South East Illinois? Where about?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Robinson. If you can't find anyone who has a cape let me know. I seem to have a certain family member who happens to be in the buisness of mounting deer and other critters.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

Robinson. If you can't find anyone who has a cape let me know. I seem to have a certain family member who happens to be in the buisness of mounting deer and other critters.
Ok- well I'm from Paris! Was just in Robinson (actually Trimble) a few weeks back and bought my new bow from Buckskin Legacy! I'll probably be making a trip down there sometime soon once I get some new arrows so I can shoot indoors. So have you met up with Cougar then?

And thanks for the offer! I'll makesome calls over the next few days and then get back to ya! I'm in the market for a new taxidermist as well. The one I had (did fantastic work) has kind of disappeared.

I've tried every number I have for him and all I get is "This phone number has been disconnected". I've talked to a couple other guys that are having the same problem with him, but they have had deer at his shop since last bow season and haven't heard from him.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: englum_06

Ok- well I'm from Paris! Was just in Robinson (actually Trimble) a few weeks back and bought my new bow from Buckskin Legacy!
Oh no! I feel for you. Try the Country Archery Shop in Casey IL.Much better service and a lot of people will tell you the same. See what kind of service you get after your initial bow purchase from Mr. Rayhall.

So have you met up with Cougar then?
LOL! I know Greg real well. He watched me grow up.

And thanks for the offer! I'll makesome calls over the next few days and then get back to ya! I'm in the market for a new taxidermist as well. The one I had (did fantastic work) has kind of disappeared.

I've tried every number I have for him and all I get is "This phone number has been disconnected". I've talked to a couple other guys that are having the same problem with him, but they have had deer at his shop since last bow season and haven't heard from him.
And I doubt they ever will again. I'm sure he probably made some good money on E-bay.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Typical Buck

Well that's interesting! He seemed like a pretty nice guy- of course I just bought a brand new bow off of him. Hopefully I don't need to worry about that then.

I had been talking to Greg and we were going to try and get together to shoot sometime. I've only been shooting for a year now and I was going to have him help me tune this new one- I could use some expertise! If we do end up getting together you should get with us. We could have our own HuntingNet get-together, lol.

Yep he may have made some good coin. I'm afraid if it was my deer at his shop I'd be doing a little more than calling. I'd be showing up on his doorstep everyday til I got it back from him- finished or not.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, Mr. Rayhall will treat you just dandy when you buy a new bow from him. Walk in there with a used bow or a bow you didn't buy off of him and he don't have the time of day for you. I walked in there this fall and was wanting a dozenarrows cut and fletched. He didn't have a soul in the store and his wife was watching TV and he said, " I suppose, but I'll have to cut them and stuff and I'll have to get my fletcher out." I looked at him and said," Nevermind. I know a guy in Casey who would like to have my $120." That's the last time I've been there and will be the last time I ever stop there again. Once the new wears off on your new purchase with him and you will be sure to get the same treatment. I have to many other people I know with the same stories to count. A lot who bought brand new bows off of him.

Back to the topic! (Sorry about that) If you have any problems with getting a cape I will do my best to get you one. It may not be a gray faced 23" er, but I can get you something that will look good.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could try this. http://mountainmikesreproductions.com/
Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... nice find. what a beauty... too bad he couldn't have been harvested by you hunting...
impressive rack

Quick Reply: Dead Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.