Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it true what they say? >

Is it true what they say?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it true what they say?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it true what they say?

I have never been a shed hunter ever...But I was reading an article about it in Field and Stream tonight and it said the first shed is always the hardest to find. Are they all hard to find or is it just that first one? I have always wanted to get into it but never had a chance with work and school. So is it true what they say, are they really that hard to find...
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is it true what they say?

Depends on your buck numbers. If your numbers are low, your sheds are low and percentage goes down in finding them. The higher the buck pop, well you get it.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a shed, practice throwing it over your shoulder in to some tall grass or brush or something, and turn around and look for it. It sounds silly but it will help you train your eyes to be able to pick out an antler.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

my first one was EASY to find....actually found it in the DARK at a coon hunting competition lol

i seen it 100yds away and kept my light off it...i wanted it lol...i knew what it was immediately so kept my light off it so i wouldnt "give it away" the guy infront of me walked within 10yds of it and either didnt see it or didnt care to pick it up....i grabbed that sucker right up lol....laying in the open field...

havent found a shed in the woods yet.....my buck numbers arent really high...has ALOT to do with finding them like Rob said...not saying its impossible....just less of them out there and lower odds of finding them....

i dont spend much time looking for them....i am in the woods ALOT and always got my eye out for them, but gave up going out looking for them exclusively...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Spike

I have tried to find sheds a few times, but I think the vegetation is a little to thick in Florida unless you’re lucky. The critters are pretty much out in force when they drop so I’m sure that doesn’t help either.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I literally tripped on the first shed I ever found. It does get somewhat easier just because you learn what to look for on the ground. I still stink compared to a lot of guys on here though. They're like hounds on a hot trail
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

This damn shed hunting Is always a frustrating one for me. It seems I never find sheds when looking for them. I always find them when doing something else In the woods like trapping, squirrel hunting, scouting.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

I do think it gets easier the more you do it. I also "tripped" over the first one. It was an old shed in an alalfa field. I have found as many as 25-30 in a year but have a buddy that is fanatical and he picked up 105 last year alone. His average year is around 70.

You will often find them in the same places year after year. Finding these "honey-holes" is the secret to growing your collection. Around here, South facing slopes with scattered brush and brome grass or switchgrass that collect the suns heat are the very best spots. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

This damn shed hunting Is always a frustrating one for me. It seems I never find sheds when looking for them. I always find them when doing something else In the woods like trapping, squirrel hunting, scouting.
Sounds like a good way to find sheds to me!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't live in an area where many bucks live long enough to shed thier antlers, so they are REAL tough to find.

Quick Reply: Is it true what they say?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.