Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 08 season come full circle >

08 season come full circle

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

08 season come full circle

Old 01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 08 season come full circle

Well thursday my bow season came full circle. Pulled stands last monday and finished mounting my buck on thursday. It was a slow season with few mature bucks seen. didnt hunt much myself as I was trying to get my gf and brother on some videod deer but i still carried the bow once in awhile incase one of the two shooters I was after showed and they didnt get a shot. Never did see either of the two bucks all season. My gf shot her first ever deer a big ole mature doe the first weekend of October. She then had a chance ata buck (14" 8pt)halloween afternoon but came up short and just grazed him behind the shoulder at 12 yards. That was her last weekend she could hunt but she had an awesome first season and loved all of it except her missed chance at the buck. It was now my 14yr old brother and my chance to get it done the last two weekends before gun season and we left the video at home and hunted seperat. I told myself I was going to sit all day the 7th-9th of November no matter what. Well it was one nasty weekend in WI, freezing rain, wind, snow, and more wind. Friday brought only a couple lil bucks and saturday my brother went along for the all day sit. I saw one lil buck all morning and my brother called at 9 am to tell me he missed a buck, saw a big one on the other end of the field under one of my stands,and was to cold to sit there anymore so went for a walk to warm up on his way to another stand. He shot under the buck grazing hair (rattled him in to 15 yards and thought aim low with his 20 yard pin which was the first mistake and his nerves had him rattled i think being the first buck he ever shot at. Was about a 16"10pt he said. I saw one doe the rest of mid mornin and early afternoon. Call my bro to see what was up and said he was to cold again and was walkin back to his morning stand and I was seeing nothing so I decided to move to where he saw the big one in the morning at about 3pm. We are about350 yards apart so I can see him some what in the tree and was wathcing him once in awhile with my range finder. I saw him moving around and lookin behind him so thought somethign was up. about 5min later I see a deer enter the field next to him and notice it was a buck right away, a 16" 8pt, and he tried to stop him but couldnt as it was so windy the buck finally stopped at 35 yards and my brother was only confident to 30 but tried it anways with a 35 yard pin mark and missed just low. The buck almost gave him a second chance but not quite. He had rattled his second buck of the day in and missed both. He was devastated but learned alot from the day. After that I see a deer enter the field and think BUCK, but I see no horns so im like what the heck. Grunted him in and videod him at 10 yards. Big bodied two year old I think but he had one side completely gone with a dry blood spot on the pedicle and the otehr side was busted just after the browtine. Decent bases on this buck so i was pretty impressed by that sight. That ended saturdays sit.
Told my bro I'm going to sit all day again sunday and he opted not to cuz he didnt want to do an all day again cuz it was so cold plus i think he was a lil upset with himself about the day before. So I went out hoping I could sit all day again and not get drove home by the nasty weather. Sat in the stand my bro did at light and saw one spike till 9am. got to cold and had to move. I had brought my climber to try a diff spot I new would be good but never hunted before which was a spot where two tiny creeks meet into one and was a good funnel. Figured if there was any bucks cruising all day they would come through. The spot is only 200 yards form the stand I was just in and my brother rattled both those decent bucks out of the creek ditch I would be funneling. Got up in about 9:45 and was outta the wind a little and was warm again. Told myself Id sit till 1 or 130 and move back to the field cuz I would be cold by then. Had a buck come in behind me and had both sides busted off as well but was a different buck than sat prolly 1 year old had astub on one side and a brow andsome beamon the other. Then had a nubbin come through about 1215. Was getting super cold and figured I better eat somethign to try and warm up so I ate a samich and a snack. just finished my snack and I heard somethign behind me to the left. I look around and wait 10 sec and see my buck coming along the creek headed right for me grabbed the bow and he was at 20 yards in another 10 seconds. He stopped reached his head back itched his nose, I then drew and he jumped a log and was broadside at 10 yards stopped, released...... and he stepped forward right as the arrow left (should have stopped him with my mouth instead but he was so close I was scared to) hit hima bitback, knew I had some liver and guts for sure. He ran to 60 yards and stopped and tried to get an opening to put another in him but couldnt. He rubbed his side with his nose and stepped forward by the creek otu of sight, then it was silent so I figured he bedded. Waited for an hour and a half to see if he moved off but never saw or heard him but i did hear a cough which made me happy maybe catchign a piece of lung. Got down quiet and left. We came back at 7pm in the dark cuz I had to drive back to school yet that night. had some help and we aproached where I last saw him slowly. He wasnt there but a small bed with a lil blood was. Not good!! Then I heard something but didnt hear it very well yelled quiet. Heard nothing and started looking for blood and eyes. Then my buddy yells "I heard a splash...a deer in the creek". I start walking slow towards the creek and then hear bubbles blowing so I ran over knowing he was down in the creek (its only a foot deep). Found him laying in the creek about dead. Figured he must have moved and bedded agin along the creek and heard us stood up and fell into the creek cuz he had nothign left in him. He wasnt the buck I thought he was and wasnt the one my brother had missed, and was one I didnt want to shoot this year but thats what 3 days of nasty weather will do to you I guess but he is decent and I'm proud of the season and only would have had one more weekend before teh gun season to make somethign happen... Hunted late season for a doe but it never worked out........ Sorry for the long read but I'm sure some will enjoy

The 2 bucks I was after

Gfs doe

My buck (worm hole in his left beam) Game pics right where the stand my brother missed his two from.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 08 season come full circle

Great read WCL!! Congrats to you and your g/f on your kills and seasons, that's a nice looking buck you got yourself!!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Shultzy. Yeah it was a fun season didnt see as much as usual but we had a weird rut this year in WI and just had alot of bad luck connecting on more deer. I shot 4 bowhunting last year but I didnt have a gf and I could have shot a couple does this year but was tryin to self video and it just never worked out for a shot. WCL
Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Thanks Shultzy. Yeah it was a fun season didnt see as much as usual but we had a weird rut this year in WI and just had alot of bad luck connecting on more deer. I shot 4 bowhunting last year but I didnt have a gf and I could have shot a couple does this year but was tryin to self video and it just never worked out for a shot. WCL
I'll possibly be In your shoes next year being the g/f Is really thinking about getting herself a bow and hunting next year. If she commits 100% to It I hope to be posing with her on her 1st deer.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah that would be awesome for you two. I got hers on video adn her reaction was priceless. Good luck next year!!! WCL
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spectacular!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 AM

good read and nice buck, you did a great job mounting him!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude - you just infringed my trademark of "Full-Circle"... he he he.. Just kidding man!

Good job, and nice pictures! Thanks for sharing man!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great read and it sounds like your hometown team had a big time winning season. Very cool your old lady is loving it too. You'll have a great hunting partner for life.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Great read WCL!! Congrats to you and your g/f on your kills and seasons, that's a nice looking buck you got yourself!!
yea..what steve said

Quick Reply: 08 season come full circle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.