Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will a mortally wounded deer bed down in planted corn? (Pics Added) >

Will a mortally wounded deer bed down in planted corn? (Pics Added)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will a mortally wounded deer bed down in planted corn? (Pics Added)

Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Will a mortally wounded deer bed down in planted corn? (Pics Added)

If I am hunting ~100 acres but 90% is farmland and I shoot a deer near standing corn, typically will the deer run through the corn and bed down somewhere or will it head for the woods off the property?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Will a mortally wounded deer bed down in planted corn?

Each deer isdifferent. Depends on how bad he's feeling and all that other stuff. If he's not pressured and hurting, he'll flop anywhere he feels safe. A standing corn field gives him all the cover he needs. The next deer may be thinking of that honeysuckle thicket he goes to every day and head for there. You can't pin them down to usually doing anything other than getting away first and foremost. Best advice, follow the blood real slow.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

So this type of landscape ishuntable with a realistic change of recovering a deer on our property?

Basically what this amounts to is the neighbor is not the friendliest and he has lots of timber. I will be sitting in the middle of a 100 acre field on the ground in somehigh grasswhere they cross in the openfrom corn field to corn field.Deer, including bucks, cross there every night. Idon't want to hunt thisspot if it is likely that the deer will always head for the timber.

I figure they probably will bed down in the corn before taking a 1/3 a milerun to the timber if they are mortally wounded. At least that is my hope. That is why I am asking if others have had deer bed in corn.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The majority of deer I shot head towards water!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you put an arrow through both lungs, the deer won't run 1/3 of a mile so you won't have to worry.

FWIW I've successfully still-hunted deer IN standing corn with a bow. It is extremely challenging and humbling, and shots are few with obstructions, but I have done it successfully. Deer LOVE bedding down in corn.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

My rule on standing corn is, if it's there, the deer are in it. It's food, water, cover and some deer never leave corn until it's cut providing there is rain fall for water and the ruts not in.

I hunt a woodlot that most years hold corn fields. Most if not all the deer I've shot head for the corn and if not pushed, that's where you'll find them.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

The majority of deer I shot head towards water!

There are no rivers,lakes,streams etc close by. I think most the deer use little low spots withstanding water to drink. This is all high ground.

Rob/PA Bowyer:My rule on standing corn is, if it's there, the deer are in it. It's food, water, cover and some deer never leave corn until it's cut providing there is rain fall for water and the ruts not in.

I hunt a woodlot that most years hold corn fields. Most if not all the deer I've shot head for the corn and if not pushed, that's where you'll find them.

I agree completely that they bedding extensively in the corn. That is why I am seeing them crossing at the adjacent points between fields. That is exactly why I want to set-up there and ambush them from the tall grass that will hide me but they will be in the open.

This is my first year bow hunting but I have gun hunted this property many times and know it well. However, the corn is gone by then and I am forced to set-up on the tree-lines that are within 10' of the property line. That has worked well because I have dropped all the deer right away in their tracks.But this is bowhunting. Not a high powered slug gun with a scope.

Based on this thread I think bow hunting on the edge of the corn from the ground should prove very successful based on my scouting years past.

Here is picture of what I am looking at. Notice the deer if you look close enough. Note I am sitting in the timber.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Another Picture.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

When hunting in corn, I often leave the regular camo at home and stick with lighter-colored clothing (assuming the corn has yellowed). I try to find a spot the planter missed the end of a row, or where the deer have knocked some down so I can sit about 10 feet back from the edge of the corn. This way they can't spot me until they walk right in front of me, in my shooting lane. Makes for short notice that one is coming, but I have found it very effective. Just make sure you have stalks/leaves cleared to draw your bow without hitting anything and making noise.

My other strategy if there is browse they like at the edge of the corn is to scout where they are coming out. Then pick a breezy day, wait for one I like to come out, and then cut back about 50-60 feet into the corn and slowly stalk through the corn into position (hence the need for a breeze to give you noise cover). Sneak to the edge 20-30 yards to the downwind side, ease out and shoot.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted In and around allot of corn fields through out the years and yes a deer will bed and die In a corn field any day of the week when hit. Corn fields are a sanctuary for deer, they love em! But like David said though, they can go anywhere when they've gotten shot.