HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   best broadheads...? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/282937-best-broadheads.html)

Bubba123 01-16-2009 07:06 AM

best broadheads...?

i like muzzys-cant beat em for the price...

but rage braodheads are intriguing to me as well, what does everyone else think

Steven McBee 01-16-2009 07:15 AM

RE: best broadheads...?

i really like magnus stingers, deadly accurate and you get pass thru's most of the time... the only problem i have with the rage is penetration issues, you have to have some serious KE to get pass thrus

TLockTerror 01-16-2009 08:00 AM

Shuttle T-locks by tightpoint.! Fly Absolutly amazing and are a tough as nails!! Very hard to break these heads. Great penatration!!!

gregrn43 01-16-2009 08:37 AM

I have shot muzzy for 20 years, dont see a need in changing. If a broahead does what you want it to do, why change. When I first started bowhunting many years ago there were very few broadheads on the market. Bear razorheads and magnus were the mainstay. I remember when they came out with the satellite broadheads. I started using them they had a couple of bad faults to them. One they didnt fly all that great and second the blades had a bad habit of coming off inside the deer. I remember finding several arrows after passing thru a deer and there would be 1 blade left or none, if you were lucky enough to even find it. Had to be very careful when cleaning a deer not to cut yourself. Been many improvements in broadhead tech in the last 30 years.

scarp262 01-16-2009 08:55 AM

I've been using Crimson Talons Ever since I have been bow hunting I can't complain with them.

MOhunter46 01-16-2009 09:05 AM

A sharp one;)

kickin_buck 01-16-2009 09:18 AM

The only way this question could have been worse was if you asked what the best bow is.

To answer (or attempt to), I will start by saying this is a very opinion based question and opinions are like butt holes, we all have one and they all stink.

With that being said, I shot Rages this year; the cutting diameter drew me in. I had no problems this year at all, in fact all the deer I killed with my bow (9) were all pass thrus with one exception. I still cannot explain why that one did not, but the fact is it did not blow thru and in fact the penetration was extremely poor.

I am going back to a fixed blade head this year, something with a cut-on-contact design. I am leaning towards the G5 Montecs, I like the one piece design and they are extremely sharp. I also like the Slick Tricks as well as the Shuttle T's.

What I suggest is, shoot a few different broadheads and find one that you have the most confidence in. Then you would have found the best broadhead for you.

Rory/MO 01-16-2009 09:29 AM

I love my Shuttle T's.

rybohunter 01-16-2009 09:38 AM

There is no “best” broadhead. But there many that will get the job done in a varied set of circumstances.
Some are tougher built, some less likely affected by tuning issues. Some come scary sharp, others are able to be returned to sharp over & over.
A long time fan of thunderheads, I would not feel any less confident with magnus stingers, slick tricks, muzzys, or montecs on the tip of my arrows. That said I will keep plugging away with my thunderheads for the majority of my hunting needs. They’ve never given me a reason to doubt them.

dnm 01-16-2009 02:41 PM

I also shoot Muzzy 3 blades

kdsberman 01-16-2009 03:07 PM

Slick Tricks

luke/r 01-16-2009 03:16 PM

I have used Thunderheads & Muzzy both get the job done. I would not hesitate using G5, SlickTricks, Magnus, or Shuttle T, and I am sure there are a few others. There are alot of good heads out there shoot what you like. Everyone has their favorite.

davidmil 01-16-2009 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: dnm

I also shoot Muzzy 3 blades
Yup, it's a trap and I think he's got a partner in this thing.

i like muzzys-cant beat em for the price...

but rage braodheads are intriguing to me as well, what does everyone else think

You all should ask GMMAT, he knows all about those Rages. LOL

T Lock Terror, I like the Shuttle T's a lot too.:)

Rickmur 01-16-2009 11:41 PM

Shuttle T's. Awesome fixed blade.

Rhody Hunter 01-17-2009 02:48 AM

I use the slick tricks but there no one broad head that is the best. there are many very good ones out there to choose from

im ocd 01-17-2009 02:56 AM

Favorites I've used on deer:
Fixed head: Slick Trick
Mechanicals: Rocket Steelheads, Wolverine, Sidewinder, Miniblaster (After a dozen deer- I've experienced small entry holes, but generally good blood trails and recovered deer in 60 yards or less)

I'm going to give Spitfires a try.

SeraphHHC 01-17-2009 03:37 AM

I remember when they came out with the satellite broadheads.

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

I have shot muzzy for 20 years, dont see a need in changing. If a broahead does what you want it to do, why change. When I first started bowhunting many years ago there were very few broadheads on the market. Bear razorheads and magnus were the mainstay. I remember when they came out with the satellite broadheads. I started using them they had a couple of bad faults to them. One they didnt fly all that great and second the blades had a bad habit of coming off inside the deer. I remember finding several arrows after passing thru a deer and there would be 1 blade left or none, if you were lucky enough to even find it. Had to be very careful when cleaning a deer not to cut yourself. Been many improvements in broadhead tech in the last 30 years.
that is what i used last year. i been using all my 16 year old equipment.

JeffB 01-17-2009 04:12 AM

Partial to Rocket Steelheads for mechs, and WASP SSTs or Muzzy in fixed blade.

spaniel 01-17-2009 09:14 AM

I shoot Thunderheads and have since...well...almost since I started hunting. I tried other things over the years...Wasps, mechanical...usually with worse results.

I don't think there is one best, or even half a dozen best. There are plenty of good options.

The only thing I will personally never shoot again is mechanicals. I gave it a good try, I lost some deer and had some poor penetrations. I'm sure they work great for some guys, but I have had great luck with my plain-Jane Thunderheads so I see no reason to wring my hands trying to get mechanicals to work anymore.

MeanV2 01-17-2009 09:19 AM

Slick Trick!!

Muzzy is a good head for the money but does Not compare to Tricks in flight, sharpness, or toughness.

Dan

RidgeFACTOR 01-17-2009 10:03 AM

annika3 01-17-2009 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

i really like magnus stingers, deadly accurate and you get pass thru's most of the time... the only problem i have with the rage is penetration issues, you have to have some serious KE to get pass thrus

And where and how have you determined this?

I shoot 260fps out of a Mathews Switchback with a 4000 Vapor arrow and a 28" draw. We certainly ain't talking serious KEand have passed completely through 3 Kansas bucks weighing 280-330 lbs live weight. Shots were 15, 22 and 32 yards.

WV Hunter 01-17-2009 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

There is no “best” broadhead. But there many that will get the job done in a varied set of circumstances.
Some are tougher built, some less likely affected by tuning issues. Some come scary sharp, others are able to be returned to sharp over & over.
A long time fan of thunderheads, I would not feel any less confident with magnus stingers, slick tricks, muzzys, or montecs on the tip of my arrows. That said I will keep plugging away with my thunderheads for the majority of my hunting needs. They’ve never given me a reason to doubt them.
ditto whatrybo said

my personal opinion is I like a good solid fixed head, rather than a mechanical...less to potentially go wrong. stick with your Muzzy's, they won't let you down

Bubba123 01-18-2009 12:25 PM

thanks everyone...this was simplyto answer a questionfor me, i do like my muzzys and i have always had passthrus with them-every deer ive ever shot-my dad wants to switch to mechanicals and i wanted to get him and i some info...so thanks and i will definetely stick with my muzzys for now

-ill go to gander mtn this summer and look at the slick tricks tho, i saw their name alot

eightwgt 01-18-2009 03:33 PM

Grizzly

blackiceslayer 01-18-2009 05:02 PM

Shot muzys for 5 years and just recently switched to G5 montecs and love them wont go back to the muzzy's. They keep their edge pretty good and they are easy to sharpen.

Vabowman 01-18-2009 05:22 PM

I have killed deer with Thunderheads, Muzzy, Wasp, and now Rage... they all performed well..I went to Rage this year to see what all the hype was about...they aregood, but the deer were no more dead than they were with the muzzy.. seriously, I wanted to have good flight and destroy the deer, it did both, but I still think Muzzy head are the best heads out there.. just my opinion about Muzzy.