Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 letter to the editor >

letter to the editor

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

letter to the editor

Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default letter to the editor

Mt friend owns a local newspaper and he received this letter recently in response to an article he had published about youth deer season in Ohio...

"Wonder why he never goes hunting?" said Jem. "Maybe I can tell you, said Miss Mandie. "If your father's anything he's civilized in his heart. I think maybe he put his gun down when he realized that God had given him an unfair advantage over most living things."

Unlike Atticus, in Harper Lee's well-known book, To Kill a Mockingbird, several young men, did choose to kill in a premeditated manner and were featured with their lifeless, innocent deer in your paper sometime ago.

What does this say about us as humans? You'd think as moral creatures we'd be ashamed of this behavior. -- certainly we'd not be posing in a picture with these beings that once had social bonds with others, valued their lives, and tried to preserve them, not unlike us.

What does this say about a newspaper that would find these murders (why is it sport when we do it to animals and murder when humans are involved?) newsworthy unless to condemn them? --which, of course, it did not.

John Muir, who might be called the “father of our National Park system", was an early conservation-naturalist who did not carry a gun and very clearly disapproved of hunting. He respected and appreciated the vitality and magnificence of creatures living life the way they knew how.

Muir would say, “surely a time must be drawing nigh when god- like humans will become truly humane and learn to put their fellow animal mortals in their hearts instead of on their backs or in their dinners. When thoughtless childhood is past, the best rise above all this bloody flesh and sport business."

Larry Brown

Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: letter to the editor

Poor reader.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I just put my 4 yr old through the test. I told her that Daddy is going to quit hunting, which means no more deer jerky and trail bologna, etc. She looked at me like she was about to cry and said but "I want you to!!!" "Why are you stopping hunting?" I told her I need to be "civilized," she just grinned an ornery grin and said...."No you don't."

I suppose Mr. Brown's life is a bit sheltered, he's never hit a deer with a vehicle or seen one caught in a fence, obviously he's never seen one taken down by coyotes or one that was maimed by a vehicle and died a sad and painful death. Much better for civility to allow them to over-populate, and become more of a road nuisance than they already are. If we stopped hunting for 3 yrs. the anti's would come and bich at us for not hunting. Can't win with stupid people, either way their going to complain about something.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

HA!!! whats the name of the newspaper and whom should we address it too, maybe some more letters to the editor are in order...but you're right you can't win with these people because they never use reason or logic they don't look past the no animals getting killed part and don't realize the consequences...

OHbowhntr
ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Well, I just put my 4 yr old through the test. I told her that Daddy is going to quit hunting, which means no more deer jerky and trail bologna, etc. She looked at me like she was about to cry and said but "I want you to!!!" "Why are you stopping hunting?" I told her I need to be "civilized," she just grinned an ornery grin and said...."No you don't."

I suppose Mr. Brown's life is a bit sheltered, he's never hit a deer with a vehicle or seen one caught in a fence, obviously he's never seen one taken down by coyotes or one that was maimed by a vehicle and died a sad and painful death. Much better for civility to allow them to over-populate, and become more of a road nuisance than they already are. If we stopped hunting for 3 yrs. the anti's would come and bich at us for not hunting. Can't win with stupid people, either way their going to complain about something.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is indeed sad, but there are many who feel this way. I cannot change their minds, just as they cannot change my mind. I don't attack unless I am being attacked, so I just try not worry about "those people".
Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow
Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm, so in Mr. Brown's opinion it is better for the deer to overpopulate and have to starve and die a slow death because of the lack of food for them to eat? Also so more and more people each year can hit and not only kill the deer but sometimes themselves get killed? That doesn't make any sense, but then again most people who are against hunting don't seem to think about things like that.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blasphemy!