If so, do you feel it makes a difference?" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing? >

Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

Default RE: Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I have a question about how these scent control clothes work. If I move my arms around when I have a coat on I can feel the air escape thru the sleeves. When I move my legs the air comes out the bottom of my pant legs. Air also escapes out of the collar area of my coat. Basically anywhere there is an opening air is being transfered. How does a scentloc coat and pants stop all that scent from getting into the air? This along with the fact that a bloodhound can find a man who is wearing scent control is why I don't pay the money for it. I am always trying to increase my odds at taking a big buck and if I thought this stuff really worked I would be all over it. I get the same results by keeping my hunting clothes in a plastic tote with pine boughs. So far I have not seen any scientific evidence that it works. Matter of fact I have heard a lot of info as to why it really doesn't work. I have heard the usefullness of the filtering agents are already filled up before you even wear it. I have heard that the temps needed to reactivate it would destroy the garment. There are just too many questions and no answers for me to invest a lot of money in it. If you believe in it and use it thats fine with me too.
Todd, You are one intelligent and INFORMED individual. Gr8 post.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the subject of carbon clothing. Yes, its been proven that you can't completely clean the carbon with a household dryer. As magicman stated, you'll burn your clothes up if you used the temp required. I believe it was 1400 degrees to regenerate carbon. It's also been noted that if carbon gets wet, it is basically rendered useless until it dries. Now, with this in mind, what do you think your persperation does to the carbon particals? What about when it rains? Another question that comes to mind is the fact that human oder is formed by bacteria. This bacteria multiplies on your skin. If the carbon absorbs this bacteria, wouldn't it continue to multiply in the carbon? I don't recall any statements from these companies saying it kills the bacteria.

I take every precaution I can with the exception of wearing carbon based clothing. I do have a few scent lock garments, only because I liked the design of the clothing. I'm still convinced that deer have grown used to a certain level of human oder, especially on farms or anywhere people frequent a lot. Human oder has to reach a higher level to alarm them. Each deer is different though and some are more tolerant than others.

If you wear the stuff and it gives you more confidence, go for it, its your money, not mine.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

It takes extra time to hunt the wind?
I don't have dozens of stands on each farm. So I can't sit out, just because of the wind. I sometimes base my stand choiceon the wind, normally it's just on the best, closest stand to where I'm staying.Normally when I'm deer hunting, my dad's waterfowl hunting. He's my ride to my spot, so I don't have a ton of time to get somewhere. I still have the "gun hunter" mentallity, where I just need to be within 75 yards of the deer. I'm getting better about that though.

Rory, you lost me here too. don't you just pick a stand that plays the wind?
Todd, I hope my above answer helped answer this question too. I'm not really sure how to explain the situation[&:]. Sorry.

Now I see what you are saying. I always try to have a setup for diff. wind directions. Do you have a climber? They work nice for that. Sometimes you can hunt the spot just by moving over just a bit to suit the wind. If I hunted only out of fixed stands I would at least set one up for each wind. I remember the days of hunting without a car. I used to ride my bike to my hunting spots. That was a while ago!
I wish I had a climber. I'm planning on having one within the next couple of years.

Rory..take it from me...if you can't hunt the wind..then stay home. You are just educating the deer and wasting your time for the most part. I used to do the same stuff you did...sure u will get lucky now and then..but just make it a policy that you won't hunt a stand unless it is right for the wind that day, and you can't go wrong.
Don, I saw plenty of deer within bow range this year. Bowhunting right now, I'm not that worried about shooting big bucks. I'm THRILLED to have anything in bow range. I haven't had many big bucks in bow range so far, but that'll come when I have more time on my hands. I don't really have any standards for bowhunting yet, just as long as it's legal and doesn't have spots, I'm shooting most likely. This year I passed up 4 or 5 spotted fawns in September.

Unfortunately, by doing so, you may see nothing at all for the rest of the season.
I must hunt some dumbass deer then... Because I had plenty of deer downwind of me this year, and saw deer all year.

No, I don't think they will. However, I'd rather be in the woods and see nothing...than not hunt at all. College really gets in the way of hunting on my farm, I basically get weekends.
That's how it is for me right now.... Weekends only, and normally only have days on those weekends.

I'm going to start a thread... And see what winds you guys think I should hunt certain stands on different farms.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I have a question about how these scent control clothes work. If I move my arms around when I have a coat on I can feel the air escape thru the sleeves. When I move my legs the air comes out the bottom of my pant legs. Air also escapes out of the collar area of my coat. Basically anywhere there is an opening air is being transfered. How does a scentloc coat and pants stop all that scent from getting into the air? This along with the fact that a bloodhound can find a man who is wearing scent control is why I don't pay the money for it. I am always trying to increase my odds at taking a big buck and if I thought this stuff really worked I would be all over it. I get the same results by keeping my hunting clothes in a plastic tote with pine boughs. So far I have not seen any scientific evidence that it works. Matter of fact I have heard a lot of info as to why it really doesn't work. I have heard the usefullness of the filtering agents are already filled up before you even wear it. I have heard that the temps needed to reactivate it would destroy the garment. There are just too many questions and no answers for me to invest a lot of money in it. If you believe in it and use it thats fine with me too.
Well Don, maybe, maybe not.....I don't doubt he's an intelligent guy, but I think some of you "old farts" are so stuck in your ways you can't see paste the end of your nose into what may be a more effective wayto do things occasionally. Nothing wrong with being bull-headed, I'm a bit bull-headed myself, but some of this stuff does have some merit.

Todd,
The main reason I'm an advocate of the X-Scent or other Silver Ion base layers is because they do suppress scent. The idea is age-old though, dating back into the WW I era, Silvadene Cream (Silver Sulfadiazine) was used in the treatment of burns because of its anti-microbial properties, capable of killing not only bacteria but also fungus. Take thatknowledge and apply it to our hunting needs and you have Silver-Ion laced thread capable of killing bacteria and preventing bacteria from reproducing right on the skin, and in essence suppressing some of our scent. Factor in that this stuff is RIGHT AGAINST my skin, and is cuffed, fitting like under armour gear does, it's actually QUITE EFFECTIVE. Add to that scientific thought the fact that they are also moisture wicking, and you have a very good base layer that aids in keeping you warm or keeping you cool, as well assuppressing some of your scent. Am Iextreme about"Scent Control???" Well, I've been shaving my head for years, but it's an added advantage because I don't have to worry about hair holding odor on my head, whichI think is one of the big places that odor accumulates that MANY guys can't do much to combat. Not pointing a finger at you, but you have more hair onyour face thanI have on my entire body. And that hair may very well hold odor that could get you busted, requiringyou toNEED to play the wind moreso than I. There are a LOT of variables that play into it that are quite difficult to control and adequately measure.Hair just being one of many.

Again, I'm not 100% sold on the Scent-Lok or whatever it may be carbon suit being overly affective for LONG periods of time, but again, the technology behind it is relatively sound, and there's a difference between a trained bloodhound specifically looking for something and a deer subtley noticing a scent, I think we could agree on that. I'd have good luck wearing my 10yr old Military Chem suit, part may be my overall scent control plan, part may be the suit, but if nothing else, just the way it's seamed up it should help a little.

Going back to the Base-Layers, I've saw my deer sighting and CLOSE Encounters increase probably 100% the first season I started wearing the stuff, and I didn't change that much. I still believe wearing a facemask is an important part of what I personally do for scent control, and would advise most hunters that are interested in bowhunting to do the same, if for nothing else the camouflage factor.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Well Don, maybe, maybe not.....I don't doubt he's an intelligent guy, but I think some of you "old farts" are so stuck in your ways you can't see paste the end of your nose into what may be a more effective wayto do things occasionally. Nothing wrong with being bull-headed, I'm a bit bull-headed myself, but some of this stuff does have some merit.

Todd,
The main reason I'm an advocate of the X-Scent or other Silver Ion base layers is because they do suppress scent. The idea is age-old though, dating back into the WW I era, Silvadene Cream (Silver Sulfadiazine) was used in the treatment of burns because of its anti-microbial properties, capable of killing not only bacteria but also fungus. Take thatknowledge and apply it to our hunting needs and you have Silver-Ion laced thread capable of killing bacteria and preventing bacteria from reproducing right on the skin, and in essence suppressing some of our scent. Factor in that this stuff is RIGHT AGAINST my skin, and is cuffed, fitting like under armour gear does, it's actually QUITE EFFECTIVE. Add to that scientific thought the fact that they are also moisture wicking, and you have a very good base layer that aids in keeping you warm or keeping you cool, as well assuppressing some of your scent. Am Iextreme about"Scent Control???" Well, I've been shaving my head for years, but it's an added advantage because I don't have to worry about hair holding odor on my head, whichI think is one of the big places that odor accumulates that MANY guys can't do much to combat. Not pointing a finger at you, but you have more hair onyour face thanI have on my entire body. And that hair may very well hold odor that could get you busted, requiringyou toNEED to play the wind moreso than I. There are a LOT of variables that play into it that are quite difficult to control and adequately measure.Hair just being one of many.

Again, I'm not 100% sold on the Scent-Lok or whatever it may be carbon suit being overly affective for LONG periods of time, but again, the technology behind it is relatively sound, and there's a difference between a trained bloodhound specifically looking for something and a deer subtley noticing a scent, I think we could agree on that. I'd have good luck wearing my 10yr old Military Chem suit, part may be my overall scent control plan, part may be the suit, but if nothing else, just the way it's seamed up it should help a little.

Going back to the Base-Layers, I've saw my deer sighting and CLOSE Encounters increase probably 100% the first season I started wearing the stuff, and I didn't change that much. I still believe wearing a facemask is an important part of what I personally do for scent control, and would advise most hunters that are interested in bowhunting to do the same, if for nothing else the camouflage factor.
First of all OHbowhntr, who you calling an old fart? Why I audda beat you with my cane!
I am all for scent control. I'm sure to some extent all these products aid in scent control. I wish it could be proven once and for all then there wouldn't be any difference of opinion. I have yet to see the proof that would convince ME to put out the extra money. My question to you is: If you are so convinced that the clothing works then why do you cut off all your hair? Seems silly to me to cut off all your hair if the clothing works. Why bother to shower? Why spray with scent shield products? BTW the silver products may kill bacteria that will cause odor but what about the other human odors? dander, skin oils, and who knows what else.
I am not against these products or people that use them. I am for hunting with the wind in your favor as much as you can. I need my rest now so I have to go. Ma, where's my prune juice?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rory and whoever else. If you ignore the wind you are raining big time on your parade and only asking for failure. Luck can but will not always bail you out.

HCH, If Elk are so dumb you should have killed a Dumb 5X5 or 6X6 instead of that Dumb Cow[8D]

If wind was constant in my areas I would probably do nothing for scent control. As it is very tiring to do it proper, and hunting with a consistent wind flow is easy, but that's not the case and I have to deal with winds that will swirl. I still hunt the wind to the best of my ability.

If you are not going to go at scent control 200% then you might as well just hunt the wind, Fart, Belch, spit, piss, and Smoke.

It's really an All or Nothing proposition. You can't wash in scent free soap throw on Scent Blocker and think it's all taken care of

Dan
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer around me are spook central and will pick you off in a second if they smell you, especially if they are older deer. Case in point this year. I had some boots that I had bought earlier in the year and used them the first week of the season. I sprayed them down before entering the woods but my old nose still noticed a very faint rubber smell to them. My clothing had hung dry for a week out in the elements and were primed to hunt with a lot of confidence. A spike walked by and cut my tracks about 5 yards from my stand. He stopped immediately and stood motionless for about 3-4 minutes. He was upwind of me. At that point he slowly spun around and went back to where he came from instead of heading into a bedding area. About 20 minutes later a 5 pointer came in at 20 yards directly downwind of me. He offered shots but I chose to pass..he continued on until he was directly downwind of me and stopped on a dime. He like the spike stood motionless for 5 minutes before moving again. I guarantee that small smell on my boots was the culprit as we had a constandt 5mph southwest wind. And just think, any other deer walking into my area may have cut my tracks and decided to not come my way as a result of my stinky boots. I believe many of us downplay the importance of proper scent control. It is the single most important factor in getting close to deer. I went back to basic scent control/playing the wind this year and more than doubled my deer sightings as compared to last year were I slacked.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all OHbowhntr, who you calling an old fart? Why I audda beat you with my cane!
I am all for scent control. I'm sure to some extent all these products aid in scent control. I wish it could be proven once and for all then there wouldn't be any difference of opinion. I have yet to see the proof that would convince ME to put out the extra money. My question to you is: If you are so convinced that the clothing works then why do you cut off all your hair? Seems silly to me to cut off all your hair if the clothing works. Why bother to shower? Why spray with scent shield products? BTW the silver products may kill bacteria that will cause odor but what about the other human odors? dander, skin oils, and who knows what else.
I am not against these products or people that use them. I am for hunting with the wind in your favor as much as you can. I need my rest now so I have to go. Ma, where's my prune juice?
I cut the hair off by choice (bald is BEAUTIFUL!!!! ), not just for hunting, but my point was that the hair will very likely hold odor that can and I'm sure DOES get people busted when everything else is "perfect." I FIRMLY believe that about 85-90% off all of our offending odors come from our head, which is part of why even in the early season when it's WARM, I wear a thin facemask. And the only part of my skin that is exposed is usually my nose and around my eyes, because I think it's also good to have my WHITE NECK AND BALD HEAD hidden. I'm not saying that hunting the wind isn't extremely effective, but I AM saying that in swirling winds, you can often times BEAT a deer's NOSE if you are VERY persistent and particular about a scent control regimen. Certain cover scent I believe also help, whether it's peeling an apple in standbecause you're hunting an apple orchard or just the use of a little coon urine on the edge of a corn field loaded with coon nests, I believe certain covers help. I use buck urine occasionally as my cover, going on the thought that a strange buck isn't as much of an ALERT to a herd as a strange doe is, it's made a big difference in how nervy deer get when nearby. Often times I use nothing at all. There are MANY variable that play in, the base layers are cheap enough and add comfort if nothing else that I see them as an essential item in my hunting. Whether they work or not may be a matter of opinion, but I believe they've helped me.

Easy with the CANE, and don't drink too much of that prune juice!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Magicman,

You are never going to get proof full scientific proof that this scentlock works. The argument on wheather it's usefull could go on and on. Like I said before It's not just the garment itself that is the sole reason it can work. Its alot of other things that go into it before you put it on, where you store it how you take care of it and what you are doing when you have iton. I made a choice in trying it along with all my other scent free practices and I have seen it work many manyoccations in the woods. Andlike I said before it is the reason that Iput a pope and younger on the wall this year. This is from a deer stand sitting. I don't use it walking or stalking.As others have said some arebullheaded and will never go through the work needed for it to be successfull andhence will bash it because of that. And some just can't plain afford todo all this because it is expensive amongs all the other things that are expensive bowhunting.And that is ok because it is alot of work to do all the other things that you need to do to become (mostlyscent free).
I don't think it will ever make you 100% scent free but it can lower your scent to a level where deer do not become alarmed.

I have seen the blood hound find people in a box that have it on and if you think those people are doing all the other scent freepractices then your nuts. Sitting in a box and letting your scent concentrate in a small area is really different. Also having a blood hound follow a sent track is different as well.

Like I said this stuff is not for everyone. It involves alot of other things you need to do and it's just not worth it to most. It isn't for me most of the time either, but for a week during the rut I get really scent crazy wear the garments and I've seen it work many times. Just don't come on hear and tell people it doesn't work if you havn't tried it and havn't done all the other things nessessary to make it work. I usually don't post this often or this lengthy but it bothered me to see people on here bashing the stuff and you know they bash it because of things they read or from what others tell them. Try it yourself along with all the other nessessary things to keep your body sent free and it can work.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tschammel

Magicman,

Just don't come on hear and tell people it doesn't work if you havn't tried it and havn't done all the other things nessessary to make it work. I usually don't post this often or this lengthy but it bothered me to see people on here bashing the stuff and you know they bash it because of things they read or from what others tell them. Try it yourself along with all the other nessessary things to keep your body sent free and it can work.
T, Please go back and reread everything I wrote on this thread. You will find that I never bashed anything. I just stated that there is not enoughreal scientific proof that it works for ME to justify the expense. Don't be mad at me because I don't use the product. I'm not mad at you because you do. It's amazing how far some people will go to defend what they believe then turn and call the other guy bullheaded.

Quick Reply: Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.