Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Future of Bowhunting? >

The Future of Bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Future of Bowhunting?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default The Future of Bowhunting?

Or even hunting in general?

I was thinking of this a few times going out to the woods this year. This year wasn't as pleasant as previous years. Not only was the population down, but 5 houses were going up at the same time about a 3/4 mile from my stand. Skytrackers and saws and hammers ruined my hunt plenty of times.

Will hunting be more of a hassle or less enjoyable 20 years from now? Especially in areas where we just have to drive to our stand from our house?

Anyone else seeing this happen in their area?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Future of Bowhunting?

ORIGINAL: sportsman22

Or even hunting in general?

I was thinking of this a few times going out to the woods this year. This year wasn't as pleasant as previous years. Not only was the population down, but 5 houses were going up at the same time about a 3/4 mile from my stand. Skytrackers and saws and hammers ruined my hunt plenty of times.

Will hunting be more of a hassle or less enjoyable 20 years from now? Especially in areas where we just have to drive to our stand from our house?

Anyone else seeing this happen in their area?
It sure isn't anything new. It's been happening since man came on the earth. Today we call it urban sprawl and lots of other things. Plenty of the places I used to hunt rabbits are now industrial parks and shopping centers. That's the way it's been and that's the way it will continue to be because man is not satisfied to be on this earth. He just has to destroy it.

As such I would expect hunting to continue it's downward trend. Let's face it. Kids don't get into the outdoor sports much any more. Their lives are wrapped around technology. Add to this that there aren't many people going to starve if they can't hunt. And when you think about it, wild game is damned expensive meat when you consider the cost of all your hunting gear and other expenses involved in hunting.Besides, a lot ofpeople are just too busy working so they can make payments on their sub-prime mortgages on houses they can't afford.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm lucky enough to live in an area that still has plenty of untouched land. Our hunting cabin is on 1200 acres, with another 4000-5000acres neighboring us of other private hunting cabins. However, many places that were rural just a few years ago are beginning to fall victim to development. I feel we're where Lancaster, PA was about 30-40 years ago. Who's to say we won't be just like them in another 30-40 years? That thought is a bit disheartening (and I mean those who live in Lancaster no disrespect, I just can't stand the busyness of the area). Like BG said, that's the way humans are...we will continue to run over land in the name of cookie cutter developments and industrial parks. Kids don't hunt nearly as much, nor are they even outside very much (I'm only 24, but the difference in kids compared to when I was there age is astonishing). It's just the way it is I suppose.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it will be more of astruggle for the hunter...and not the deer.

I just saw my second 170 class whitetail in down town Detroit..

Its sad people keep stealing their habitat with commerical buildings......its a sad thought....But I assure you...the white-tails can adapt.

Its US...we're the ones that will flop.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ohio EPA finally turned down a development proposal that was gonna clear cut 100acres behind my buddy's horse pasture.. All for a unnecessary shoppingmall[:-]

In the past few years, and out of hundreds of development projects, this is only the 2nd to be turned down recently, so its obvious how important this patch of land is. (headwater streams..they've foundrare species of salamanders, and the endangered "indiana bat"..Its the woods we grew up in riding go karts and shooting bb guns as kids, and now its surrounded by more crap..4 years ago you could drive past my buddies fields and see tons of turkeys yarded up. Now, your lucky to see 1 turkey the entire year. This is around where I live, and I thank god the family farm is far away from any type of commercial, plastic, crap thats taking over our green areas. Places where I used to watch foxes and owls are now yuppie subdivisions. I feel your pain. If its possible, I'dtry to buy up some landin the near futurebefore its all gone!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

The Ohio EPA finally turned down a development proposal that was gonna clear cut 100acres behind my buddy's horse pasture.. All for a unnecessary shoppingmall[:-]

In the past few years, and out of hundreds of development projects, this is only the 2nd to be turned down recently, so its obvious how important this patch of land is. (headwater streams..they've foundrare species of salamanders, and the endangered "indiana bat"..Its the woods we grew up in riding go karts and shooting bb guns as kids, and now its surrounded by more crap..4 years ago you could drive past my buddies fields and see tons of turkeys yarded up. Now, your lucky to see 1 turkey the entire year. This is around where I live, and I thank god the family farm is far away from any type of commercial, plastic, crap thats taking over our green areas. Places where I used to watch foxes and owls are now yuppie subdivisions. I feel your pain. If its possible, I'dtry to buy up some landin the near futurebefore its all gone!

Exactly. They aren't making anymore of it. My goal is to have my chunk of land by the time I'm 30 (24 now). I was trying to do it for my first purchase, but couldn't swing it, but I should be ready when I'm 30. The prices are already skyrocketing here, though. Get to it while you can.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Urban sprawl doesn't bother me at all where I live. The biggest and worst offender to bowhunting or hunting in general is the increasing pay-to-play mentality.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I think it will be more of astruggle for the hunter...and not the deer.

I just saw my second 170 class whitetail in down town Detroit..

Its sad people keep stealing their habitat with commerical buildings......its a sad thought....But I assure you...the white-tails can adapt.

Its US...we're the ones that will flop.
i agree with this 100% it is getting sad (especially with the economic downturn) the we still need to keep building bigger and better, and hurting other people enjoyments, it needs to stop or at last slow down alot. IMO
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skytrackers and saws and hammers ruined my hunt plenty of times.
This bothered your hunt? Here the deer will be more attracked to the noice for some reason or another. Being 3/4 of a mile away and they should be moving near by you. The bad side is more hunters being squeezed into the same locations. Here I do not have to worry about that very much with all the new laws enacted up here. This area they have pretty much preserved from anyone building anything. The wetlands act is one example of what has happened to protect it from being more organized. However it is only a matter of time and we would most likely have to lease the land to hunt on from those large paper companies up here. That appears to me the way things will soon be going anyways..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Urban sprawl doesn't bother me at all where I live. The biggest and worst offender to bowhunting or hunting in general is the increasing pay-to-play mentality.
Asking just for general discussion reasons. Do you think the pay-to-play mentaility is because of the decreasing amount of land available to hunt? I know there are plenty of people who say they have tons of untouched land around them, but that is not the case for everyone.

I live in Madison Co Illinois and the fact is that the amount of huntable land in my county is way out of ratio to the population of people and to the ratio of hunters. I have no choice but drive at least an hour to hunt and yes, I do pay-to-play. I for a couple of reasons. 1. The huntable land around me is already hunted. Either by the owner, family, friends, or others you are already paying. Simply put, there is not a spare tree around. 2. I am a snob and refuse to hunt public ground. When I have tried I was met with stolen stands, stolen cameras, and people sitting up 40 yards from me (when they knew I was there).

What is the future of bowhunting? Hard to say really. I believe the quality of the deer will continue to improve, but the ability to obtain permission to hunt those deer will decrease. I believe the mid-west will start moving towards (already has) the way of hunt clubs that are so popular in the south and in Texas.

On a side note. There is a Mexican restaurant near my grandpa's farm in Indiana that has a tree by their dumpster. To this day, that tree has one of stands in. I chuckle everytime I drive by.

Quick Reply: The Future of Bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.