Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot or pass?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shoot or pass?

disagree with liver shots being a pain in the arse to track. My first deer ever went down and was dead in 5 seconds and 40 yards after I sent an arrow through his liver...I didnt mean to shoot it there but I had some major buck fever with it being the first deer id ever drawn on...
I also shot one this year in the liver and it was down within 30 yards, liver shots aren't always a hard tracking job

I was not aiming for the liver.... and If the only shot I had was the liver I would pass also
Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is one I'd likely have to be in the tree to give you a true answer. If there was a slight quarter away angle, I'd take the shot. If I'm shooting a BIG mechanical head, then it makes the decision a little easier.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

This is one I'd likely have to be in the tree to give you a true answer. If there was a slight quarter away angle, I'd take the shot. If I'm shooting a BIG mechanical head, then it makes the decision a little easier.
Agreed, its jus one of them situations that i gota be there to decide.. if its perfectly broadside then im prob goin pass. but idk.. accordin wat i was thinkin at the time
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Pass. I would never choose to shoot at the liver (or neck).

Do you remember Poopen Young on AT?[8D]

LMAO!!

Dan
Wasn't he your Brother Dan????

To the original post, that's an easy pass for me. I prefer ones like the 2nd two I shot this year that are dead within sight in short order, and a liver shot isn't going to render me a dead animal in seconds like a good solid heart/lung shot will.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pass on the liver shot. I had it this yr....... didn't take it. Would I change my outlook fo any reason....... NOPE. Not as shot for me...... and I look down on the guys I hunt with who would take it. JKust me tho.[:-]
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Pass. I would never choose to shoot at the liver (or neck).

Do you remember Poopen Young on AT?[8D]

LMAO!!

Dan
Wasn't he your Brother Dan????

To the original post, that's an easy pass for me. I prefer ones like the 2nd two I shot this year that are dead within sight in short order, and a liver shot isn't going to render me a dead animal in seconds like a good solid heart/lung shot will.
Nope don't have any brothers[8D]Only my HNI Bro's

Ol' Poopensure was good for some laughs

Dan
Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pass!

Hatchet Jack
Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would NEVER take a liver shot. far to many folks wound deer by rushing the shot. In my experience, the majority of botched shots are the ones that the hunters rush. It is ALWAYS better to wait for a better shot.... or another day.

Good luck and good huntin'
Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the posts all. I mainly wanted to see what your thoughts were on liver hits and your experiences in hitting the liver and finding the deer. It seems to be unanimous that most of you would rather not take the shot if liver is the only organ that you would be able to hit.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Easy one .... pass ... I could have shot a beautiful 8 pointer first day out this year with that exact scenario ......one more step andhis lungs woulda been clear ...he was done .....but that 6th sense ...[:@]

Quick Reply: Shoot or pass?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.