Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for those that rattle >

Question for those that rattle

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for those that rattle

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Spike

Default Question for those that rattle

How many use real bone vs. synthetic to rattle? Do you think it makes a difference between using actual antlers vs. synthetic? I have only used synthetic antlers for rattling and had success in Fl, Al, Oh, and Ny. I would like to hear the opinion from anyone who has used both. Started thinking about this looking at some antlers on ebay.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for those that rattle

I have used real horns and rattle bags with success. I don't think the deer are smart enough to know the difference. The bags are easier to carry and keep quiet as well.

I think the only thing the real or sythetic horns have going is their volume. You can get really loud with them as opposed to a bag.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used real, synthetic, and several rattling bags. I have not found a rattling bag that I like. While the sounds they produce are okay, I just do not believe they are loud enough for rattling blind. I do a lot of rattling and I prefer the sound/tone of real bone, but have had equal results with real and synthetic. The thing about rattling blind is that you never know how the deer that you cannto see are responding to it. All you can do is bang the horns together and hope for the best.

Why buy horns off ebay. Get out and do some shed hunting and find yourself a nice pair. So much more fun that giving some random guy your money. I mean, if you really just feel the need to give some stranger your money, I will pm you my address!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use real antlers off a 125-130" 9 point I killed. I'm not sure it makes a difference.

I've considered trying a rattle bag just to save some space.

I had a friend who rattled in a buck using couple of Aluminum arrows.[8D]

Dan
Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to a buddies house over the weekend, who is a master at shed hunting, and was amazed @ the difference in volume the real antlers make.
Even the sound compared to my rattling bag, but there may be better bags available?

Unfortunately I only have small horns, as all the big ones get mounted.
I think I will try more shed hunting soon, with the hopes of finding a set to use for this coming season.
If I'm unsuccessful, then I may shoot a basket rack that I don't want to mount, for the very same reason....
Note the antlers my boy thinks are his!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned

I have never used synthetic but I have had poor results with rattlebags and I only use real antlers and I have pretty good success. Real antlers are the real deal and that is what I would use....besides why pay money for fake ones when a pair of sheds works gr8. I like real things and I want to carry real bone out with me. my 2cnts
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Spike

I have tried using a bag a few times, but I didn't think the sound was really traveling.

Kickin-I was really just lookin around ebay and it got me thinking about any differences between the two. I have shed hunted a few times w/ a little success, however when the bone starts dropping in FL it seems that a lot of rattlers (as in snake)like the same ground that I frequent. It's super hard to find sheds here though w/ the thick underbrush etc....Now if I ever had the invite and time I would love to shed hunt up your way
Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I had a friend who rattled in a buck using couple of Aluminum arrows.[8D]

Dan

Missed this, now that would be a god story
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FL/Law

I have tried using a bag a few times, but I didn't think the sound was really traveling.

Kickin-I was really just lookin around ebay and it got me thinking about any differences between the two. I have shed hunted a few times w/ a little success, however when the bone starts dropping in FL it seems that a lot of rattlers (as in snake)like the same ground that I frequent. It's super hard to find sheds here though w/ the thick underbrush etc....Now if I ever had the invite and time I would love to shed hunt up your way
You have an invite to go shed hunting with me any time. Just let me know when we are going!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

I mainly use a rattle box and avoid the bag or the real thing / synthetic. Personally, it works for me.

Sound wise, there is no comparison to the real thing. Does that make it better, likely yes but... not sure how to prove it. Considering there are some many variables that go into it in the first place.

Will I ever switch, maybe. Today I use the box out of convenience. If I was fishing and I could catch one first with a rubber lizard and 3 with a rubber worm, I would switch baits in a heartbeat.