Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Record Elk Confirmed >

New Record Elk Confirmed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Record Elk Confirmed

Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Record Elk Confirmed

ORIGINAL: Vito1

ORIGINAL: Talondale

That guy paid $150,000 to hunt that elk?!
He paid a heck of lot more then that. That was just for his tag. He had 6 MossBack guides working for him and scouting for over a month. That can't be cheap. If he has the money to pay for it and it makes him happy, I say go for it. Would I do it...no, butpeople huntfor different reasons.
I'd havea little more respect for it if the guy not only paid that money, but also came out to do some scouting for himself with the guides. Then again, a guy that makes that much money may not be able to get the time away from work to scout.

It's an incredible bull though and being that it's been verified as wild I'm sure it was no easy task getting him on the ground even with all of that help.

Congrats to him. That's a record that's not likely to fall any time soon.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

He paid a heck of lot more then that. That was just for his tag. He had 6 MossBack guides working for him and scouting for over a month. That can't be cheap. If he has the money to pay for it and it makes him happy, I say go for it. Would I do it...no, butpeople huntfor different reasons.
I'd havea little more respect for it if the guy not only paid that money, but also came out to do some scouting for himself with the guides. Then again, a guy that makes that much money may not be able to get the time away from work to scout.

It's an incredible bull though and being that it's been verified as wild I'm sure it was no easy task getting him on the ground even with all of that help.

Congrats to him. That's a record that's not likely to fall any time soon.
Not to start a huge arguement, but I have to ask the question...

What is the difference (besides amount of money paid) between this guy and say a guy that comes out to Illinois to hunt with an outfitter for a week and shoots a great buck? I mean the guy that came to Illinois most likely will not do any scouting of his own (I know some outfitters do not allow hunters to walk), they go to the stand that their guide pointed them to and simply made the shot when it was presented.

I know there is a huge difference in the amount of money that was paid and I know this guy's tag allowed him to hunt some state ground (that I assume cannot be hunting normally), but all-in-all both case are very similar.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Guys, the governors tag programs are great for the wildlife, whether you are jealous of them or not. That 150K he paid for the tag at the auction ALL goes back into the wildlife, and goes a heck of alot further than my 500 tag would. If a guy wants to basically donate 150K to wildlife, I say why not let him hunt the primo unit?

His use of guides may have been excessive, but there have been no proven cases of foul play or unethical practices....which speaks even more for the bull. He hunted a few weeks for this animal, just as everyone else in the unit did (PUBLIC land). It wasn't a fly out, shoot, and leave deal like the WA governor's tag was allegedly.

I don't get why we would slander someone for putting their money to a good cause?

Money helped his chances significantly, but it certainly didnt buy this animal. It gave them the run around for several weeks, as well as all other public hunters out there. Some were beginning to doubt whether it would even be killed or not.

The difference between this hunt and a midwest whitetail hunt is on the whitetail hunt you show up walk to a stand that you have never seen before and sit and wait. This guy was out hunting the hills for a few weeks to bag the animal...different. Im not against whitetail guided hunts either, I hope to do one someday...but you can't deny an elk hunt is different than one.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the very SAD thing about hunting, it's not about and individual taking up chase and stalking an animal to achieve a record, it's an individual paying THOUSANDS of dollars to a multitude of people to watch and scout and guide him to the opportunity to kill that animal. That animal deserves the record, but I'm not really sure the hunter does. When a man pays more than most of us make in a year's time for a tag alone, something is WRONG. I'd bet he had close to $400,000 or more in that animal, and that just disgusts me. I'd rather see it killed by an out-of-stater on his first elk hunt, then it exemplifies the majesty of such an animal.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Congrats to that guy! That is a major accomplishment no matter how much he spent. Like tembrysaid, the money is going towards good use.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rage2blade

Congrats to that guy! That is a major accomplishment no matter how much he spent. Like tembrysaid, the money is going towards good use.
Ditto!!

I'll never get the opportunity at a lot of hunts, simply because I don't have the $$, but I'm not going to belittlesomeone who can.

I doubt if you were willing to spend 1,000,000 you could break that record, but you can try if you like.[8D]

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fair chase so I say congrats to him! Money well spent!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Guys, the governors tag programs are great for the wildlife, whether you are jealous of them or not. That 150K he paid for the tag at the auction ALL goes back into the wildlife, and goes a heck of alot further than my 500 tag would. If a guy wants to basically donate 150K to wildlife, I say why not let him hunt the primo unit?

His use of guides may have been excessive, but there have been no proven cases of foul play or unethical practices....which speaks even more for the bull. He hunted a few weeks for this animal, just as everyone else in the unit did (PUBLIC land). It wasn't a fly out, shoot, and leave deal like the WA governor's tag was allegedly.

I don't get why we would slander someone for putting their money to a good cause?

Money helped his chances significantly, but it certainly didnt buy this animal. It gave them the run around for several weeks, as well as all other public hunters out there. Some were beginning to doubt whether it would even be killed or not.

The difference between this hunt and a midwest whitetail hunt is on the whitetail hunt you show up walk to a stand that you have never seen before and sit and wait. This guy was out hunting the hills for a few weeks to bag the animal...different. Im not against whitetail guided hunts either, I hope to do one someday...but you can't deny an elk hunt is different than one.
I could not agree more here. The point of my second post was to point out the fact that some on here were starting to bash this guy for spending $150,000 for the tag. I wanted to point out that it does not matter if you paid $3500 for a midwest whitetail hunt, or a $150,000, you still paid to hunt.

TEmbry made a very good point about the fact that this guy did have "hunt" this elk, even if he had guides scouting well in advance for him. That is more than most can say for a guided midwest whitetail hunt.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM

I don't know if Iwould say he "hunted" the elk. I would say that he shot it. They called him one evening and said they had the bull located. He hopped on a plane and arrived at camp at 4 am. The guide took him out at first light and he shot it. That is the story I read as told by the man who shot it. This came after he had missed the bull2 weeks prior. Like I said before, he had the money to pay for it and he killed a phenomenal wild elk. Other hunters were allowed to hunt this area at the time he killed it. My hats off to the guides that were able to locate the bull for the shooter. The shooter does give all the credit to the guides which is honest of him.

I agree with kb, I don't see a difference in how much you pay for a guided hunt. It's the same to me. Somecan afford a higher price than others.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind guided hunts or paying for them. I'm not even commenting on the ethics of such a hunt. If that's your thing, go at it. I would do something similar if I had more money, and may do it still. But I'm a chea..., I mean thrifty and the thought of spending that kind of money to hunt ANYTHING is ridiculous to me. Of course I've also seenpeople slapdown stacks of cash on a blackjack table and I can'thelp think what a waste. Yes, thismoney went into supporting wildlife, and the charity aspect of it does help a little, and a lot of guys were employeed for the seasonscouting this thing forhim so some good was done but I just couldn't spend that kind of money, even if I had it. I also wouldn't buy huge houses,expensive cars, andexpensive clothes/watches etc if I had$10 Million. It's just me.

Quick Reply: New Record Elk Confirmed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.