Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 long range bow shooting >

long range bow shooting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

long range bow shooting

Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Default RE: long range bow shooting

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

I want you to take a video camera with you next time would love to see the vid!

I think because you have never attempted you think it is extremely hard.

back up next time you shoot, with in 20 shots you should feel comfortable shooting, trust me hear I'm not over stating things here.

next time you shoot back up 10yd out side your "comfort zone" and tell us. you will be shocked !!!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot at distance anytime i practice outside. I love it, and its addicting. Ive shot out to 70 with my pin sight and my slider. Its very fun, and makes stuff at 20 look like it is 5yds away. I think its very good practice. IT also makes short distance shots less overwhelming, and it makes them seem instinctive.

Derek
Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

We shoot at 25 yards in the indoor league I shoot in during the off season, I love to go out just before league and fling a dozen arrows or so at 50 yards. When I get to the shop, the 12 ring looks as big as a basetball and my pin looks like it is in cement.

BTW, welcome to the board!

I tried indoor but where I was it just was not cutting it, they met once a week, shot 30 arrows at 20yd then we would wait around for the next competition. I should join your place !!!

good work on the LR shots, 50yd holds a special place in my soul, when I was able to shoot 50yd it was the first time I felt like I could truly and ethically take an animal at 20-25yd !!!

thank you all for the Greetings !!!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

First Off Welcome!

I also like shooting at longer ranges. I have only shot out to 70 yds. I think practicing at that distance gives me more confidence at more realistic ranges. I will nor nor will I ever shoot at a live animal at Long distances.. It just takes away what the sport is..

For example this year I ranged a Monster Idaho Bull elk three times at fifty yds. I drew on him twice, and i never took the shot. It just didn't feel right. I know this will sound corny, but I actually took my hat off and told him he beat me. I was satisfied...

very true the whole concept of archery is to add more skill and challenge to the hunt not the shot.

I had a similar case but with a doe at 40yd, I drew but something in side said no, so I let down and just enjoyed watching her (for all of 45secons).

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot a recurve and this last summer and fall was the 1st time I actually practiced at 30 to 40 yards on a consistent basis. At 1st I wasn't even close but as time went on I was hitting pretty good at 30 yards. The 40 yard shots I tried making was a big laugh, there Isn't enough time In the day to get me to hit consistently at that yardage. I will never take a shot pass 25 yards regardless how good my shooting Is but It sure did Improve my 20 yard shooting by practicing at longer yardages. Thanks to the guys on the traditional forum and bow hunting forum I started doing this type of practicing, I owe It to them on my big Improvement In shooting at 20 to 25 yards.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I shoot a recurve and this last summer and fall was the 1st time I actually practiced at 30 to 40 yards on a consistent basis. At 1st I wasn't even close but as time went on I was hitting pretty good at 30 yards. The 40 yard shots I tried making was a big laugh, there Isn't enough time In the day to get me to hit consistently at that yardage. I will never take a shot pass 25 yards regardless how good my shooting Is but It sure did Improve my 20 yard shooting by practicing at longer yardages. Thanks to the guys on the traditional forum and bow hunting forum I started doing this type of practicing, I owe It to them on my big Improvement In shooting at 20 to 25 yards.

great job, I can get good at 50yd then take a week off, you stick and string guys need to be out there every day. great work I have strong respect for any traditional hunter
Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, uh, how many pins does that $20 Tru Glo have
Welcome.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

How far is the peep on your string from the nock point? [8D]
Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

So, uh, how many pins does that $20 Tru Glo have
Welcome.

good question, I have seven pins. heres the story.

I bought the sight got my pins out to 50yd in 10yd increments starting at 20yd. then I want more pins, so I could buy the pins individually for 4$ or I could get a 10$ plastic sight with 3 pins. so I saved and got 3 extra pins after 50yd they go 60yd 70yd and 100yd.

ya cant shoot passed 50yd any way so I figure just bottom out the pin if I'm shooting 260 fps then I need to have my 20yd pin become 30yd and so on until I get the bottomed out pin zeroed at 100yd.

I have them on there for practice, and when I camp in the rockies I keep them on there as my "survival pins", just in case.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

How far is the peep on your string from the nock point? [8D]
[8D]

from the bottom of my peep to the bottom of the nock button is exactly 6 inches or perhaps 6.000002

Quick Reply: long range bow shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.