HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Let the BowTech sing and a Pennsylvania 6 point hits the ground!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/281450-let-bowtech-sing-pennsylvania-6-point-hits-ground.html)

Buck Magnet 01-05-2009 06:46 PM

Let the BowTech sing and a Pennsylvania 6 point hits the ground!!!

Okay guys, well the whole story starts this morning with the arrival of my new compact flash cards for my Reconyx. I headed over to pull my camera and noticed that I got another 57 photos over the past two days. I checked the camera and noticed that there were two small bucks (a half rack 2 point and a wide 3 point) that passed by my camera yesterday afternoon at 4:56 p.m. I have a stand roughly 35 yards from my camera and was thinking about actually trying to sit in stand this afternoon. I kept scrolling through the photos and found that a small 6 point had passed by the camera at 7:13 a.m. this morning. This is the only legal buck that I had on camera and I figured that I would give it a try this evening as it is the last day that I would be able to hunt since season ends on Saturday.

This evening I was running a little late and had to hurry to get my gear ready and head for stand. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to take a flash light, pen, knife, drag rope, ect. I threw my camo on, grabbed my release and bow and that was it.

I got set up in my stand at around 3:40 p.m. and realized that I didn't dress warm enough as the temps were dropping pretty quickly as there is a storm moving in tonight. I decided to stick it out even though I really didn't anticipate much. At around 4:20 p.m. I heard some loud crunching behind me and figured that it was the squirrel that had been barking at me just a few minutes before. I slowly turn and see a two point half rack walking down a shooting lane around 25 yards from me. When he got broadside to me he looked straight at me and I figured that I was busted. With all the leaves gone, I know that I had to have stuck out pretty bad. I stayed still and he just walked on by. A few minutes laters I hear more crunching and I see two more deer headed my way. I notice one is a small spike that I had seen nearly everytime I sat in stand and the other was another half rack that was just a main beam. He looked as though he may have been an 8 point but he got beat up pretty bad As I am watching them in amazement that I am actually seeing deer in late archery I catch movement and see my buck coming down the trail. I noticed that it was the buck that I had on camera from this morning so I turned in my stand and got ready for the shot. I couldn't stand up as any movement would have sent him on his way. When he passed behind a tree at 25 yards I drew my bow back sitting down and as he started out from behind the tree I gave him a little grunt. I must have been a little excited because I grunted too early and he stopped while still behind the tree. After about two minutes he took two more steps and I stopped him. I settled the pin right behind the shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger just to hear the sound of my arrow smack off a branch. Luck was on my side as the arrow hit him squarely on a quartering away shot around mid-body. I watched him tear off and after a few seconds I heard silence. I came home and gave him an hour.

When I went back to where I shot him I could find any blood or my arrow. I searched for nearly 20 minutes without finding anything. At that point I noticed that the "small branch" on one of the small trees was actually my arrow covered in blood. He went around 15 yards without a single drop of blood. I started getting worried but carried on. After around 60 yards of almost non-exsistant blood he opened up and it was pouring out of him. I found him about 15 yards past that point piled up in a blow down.

I couldn't be more happy with this buck. It is my first late season deer and it is really cool to have a photo of him from this morning, not too mention I am out of venison and those backstraps are gonna be mighty tasty. I am going to do my own euro mount on him.

So there is the story of my 2008 season buck. I was so un-prepared for this that I didn't even have a pin to put the tag on his ear, I actually had to stick the tag on my liscence holder and use that to put the tag on his ear!

130woodman 01-05-2009 06:52 PM

RE: Let the BowTech sing and a Pennsylvania 6 point hits the ground!!!

Congrat's

Rory/MO 01-05-2009 06:52 PM

Like I said over "there", congrats!

MichiganWhitetails74 01-05-2009 06:59 PM

Great Job! Awesome Story!

MOhunter46 01-05-2009 07:00 PM

Congrats!

Phil from Maine 01-05-2009 07:06 PM

Nice story and Congrats on your success...

BigDaddy12t 01-05-2009 07:23 PM

Congrats!

Buck Magnet 01-05-2009 07:36 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I passed up bigger bucks in archery season, missed a bruiser in rifle season, and yet I couldn't be happier with this guy. I definetly put in my time on stand and it paid off in a big way! Thanks again guys!

rybohunter 01-06-2009 09:56 AM

Congrats on the buck Jason, late season PA has to be as tough as it gets.

OHbowhntr 01-06-2009 10:14 AM

Congrats, venison in the freezer!!!

mauser06 01-06-2009 10:21 AM

congrats!!! thats a feat right there...late season PA buck with the bow....ive found my deer to be either severely herded up...or still so pressured they are still laying low...i couldnt imagine trying to bowhunt....heck, i have drivers when im hunting with the flintlock and i can be hard to see deer! rough time to hunt!! good job man!!!

txjourneyman 01-06-2009 10:26 AM

Way to go. congrats!

Buck Magnet 01-06-2009 10:51 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Ryan and Devin,
Thanks guys. I had been out one evening here in late archery and honestly had no plans on hunting at all after that one sit. If it wasn't for getting 7 different bucks on my game camera in 4 days in that area I wouldn't have even been in stand. It definetly is some of the hardest hunting out there and I just got really lucky. I have hunted late season before and think that in all of those sits I may have seen a total of 2 or 3 doe, and yesterday evening in one sit I seefour bucks. We are getting hit with freezing rain right now and I am sure that had something to do with it!

MGH_PA 01-06-2009 10:52 AM

Like I said in the other thread, congrats! That weather is on its way here, so hopefully I can get out on stand this evening. You motivated me to do so[8D]

MeanV2 01-06-2009 11:26 AM

Way to Go!!!

Dan

BowtechHunting 01-06-2009 11:42 AM

Another one for Bowtech! Congrats

Pops423 01-06-2009 11:54 AM

Congrats on a nice late season buck.

npockat32 01-06-2009 02:51 PM

Congrats!

FLboy77 01-06-2009 02:54 PM

Great Job!!

sr77 01-06-2009 02:59 PM

Congrats on the late season buck. Good story!

Shane

mossberghunter93 01-06-2009 03:18 PM

congrats