Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rivers West Gear >

Rivers West Gear

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rivers West Gear

Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Default Rivers West Gear

Just looking for some feedback from those who have used it. I am looking at picking up the lightweight Outlaw series pants and jacket in Max1...anyone have any personal experiences with the stuff? I have heard nothing but A+s so far.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rivers West Gear

I have a set of the Backcountry pants/jacket. Its the LAW series, was the lightest at the time before they came out with APF. I really like it, fit is great, always keeps me dry and it pretty light which I need for our mild winters. Its pretty quiet, not as quiet as fleece but I have taken a few deer wearing it at less than 20 yards. My only problem is it does not breathe well. If I walk very far in it or am carrying my stand or something, I will sweat excessively. Since it is my outer lay when its raining or really windy, then I just pack it on my stand and slip it on once setup in tree. It truly is tough and 100% waterproof.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I wear it religiously, and love it more than i can describe. Put simply, buy it.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

I have 2 sets, the heavier cold weather stuff, and the L.A.W (light weight all weather) wouldnt consider anything else ever again! Worth every dime!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tembry - Can you send me the link to what you're using?..I went to the sight but I'm wondering...what are you looking at wearing?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

Tembry - Can you send me the link to what you're using?..I went to the sight but I'm wondering...what are you looking at wearing?

Thanks!
http://www.riverswest.com/hifi_fabrics.html

Click the APF system to the right (lightest weight stuff), and then click on Outlaw Jacket and Outlaw Pants in the list on the right hand side of the screen. You can look at all their gear this way. Outlaw is their lightest stuff, but I've been told you wouldn't want to wear it in much warmer temps than say 50*...sounds a bit warm for what I originally wanted it for, but I still may pick up a set if the price is right.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I got the outlaw jacket and love it. Extremely tough and 100% water proof. I would say anything over 50 degrees is a little warm for the jacket. It does not breath, but I would at least get the pants if you decide to get a different jacket. The other jacket I plan on getting in the future is the Sitka Nimbus. I got the Rivers West for almost a 1/3 of the price of Sitka though.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

I gotta a story about this Rivers West stuff. Tuesday I went out about 11 a.m. to scout 3 or 4 areas and it had been raining all day so I wore my Rivers West with just a very thin baselayer underneath. I pulled the pant legs over my boots so no rain would get in my boots. Well around 3:00 p.m. I went to cross a 20 ft wide slough that was about 12" deep in most parts. I stepped in a hole that was covered with leaves and looked flat with the rest of the slough and went in about knee water just with my left leg. I expected water to come pouring in but as I lifted my boot out and walked on across my foot remained dry. I guess the water sucked the pant leg tight to my boots when I went in and sealed off. Truly is good stuff. And I gotta add I didn't sweat that much in it, I just got to remember if I walk with it on, dress very lightly underneath.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going against the grain on this and saying there are better choices out there.I have owned their original version and their LAW version jacket and pants.
They don't breath at all.If you do any walking at all you will get wet from the inside,if you do get heavy rain the stuff gets very heavy and takes forever to dry.