Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which Mechanical Broadheads?? >

Which Mechanical Broadheads??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which Mechanical Broadheads??

Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which Mechanical Broadheads??

Well guys I was a advocate for the Rage Broadheads but yesterday morning I shot a doe without a pass through at twenty yards. I let her go for 3 hours before I got the blood trail. It was a good blood trail and I found my arrow that only went in about 8 inches with bubbles on the shaft. She traveled onto our neighbors property about 200 yards away from impact and bedded down. Unfortunately, she didn't expire and I bumped her to have her get up and run away like nothing happened. I exited the area and went back this morning but couldn't find the blood trail. I'm switching back to fixed blades. I have to think that with the fixed blade this wouldn't have happened.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I'll share my finding and the reasons why I am going to stick with the 2 blade rage:
[ul][*]Large cutting diameter, you may need a higher KE to get a pass through. I am not sure what that would be, but I am shooting ~310 with 367 grain with a 2 bladewith 4/5 pass throughs and ALL drops within sight. 3 birds and 2 deer.[*]Identical shooting as field point.[*]Minimal windage.[*]Large bload trail.[*]Reliable.[*]Finally, pics are worth a million.[/ul]
Downside, hitting any obstacle will cause a MAJOR deflection. This might be a good thing in preventing a bad shot. For those shooting this BH, I would encourage you to test this by placing your target behind light follage. Let me know what happens.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

Mechanical broadheads... Dont use them... Most people use them because they dont know how to tune there bows... they want something that shoot like field tips... Not worth the headache.
Couldn't be further from the truth. Get over your fixed head bias!

I shot fixed for almost 20 years and switched to Snypers, then Rages because they are devastating.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of heads are devastating but that in No way means they can Not malfunction.

Everybody should shoot what they are comfortable with.

I know I do!

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

Mechanical broadheads... Dont use them... Most people use them because they dont know how to tune there bows... they want something that shoot like field tips... Not worth the headache.
I agree you are so wrong it just kills me to hear guys use this as there only reason why guys should not use mech. Well to tell you the truth I tune my bows to shoot any head fixed or not. But I have seen more guys that call them selfs hunters shoot all summer and just screw in a fixed head only to have it shoot 6 inchs high 4 inchs right. Now I could say DON"T USE FIXED HEADS because all hunters are morons and can't tune there fixed heads!!!!! Sounds pretty dumb AH!! Just as dumb as hunters that use mech do so because there bows aren't tuned it goes both ways so find another reason to use.. Go Grim Reapers.. Walt
Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

everyone says rage but why risk problems with expandables when there are no worries with fixed blades? i used expandable for one hunt and it almost cost me a trophhy of a life time. jus my opinion
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM

I like fixed BH's, just my preference. Not trying to change your point of view, just something to think about. It can happen. I don't want to rest my trust on expandable blades not opening, when I got a meat missile headed toward a 150" class buck. Chances of it happening are probably slim...
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last two answers are Ok answers it is what you have shot and what you trust and that is really good. It is just these answers that say you guys only shot them because youcan't tune a bow that kill me and get me fired up!!! Walt
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your bow can be in perfect tun all it wants. What happens in a situation where it's drizzling then stopsand the late afternoon hours' temperatures cause that drizzle which made it inside the mechanism of your mechanical to freeze? All of a sudden tune don't mean much of anything does it? And even if it doesn't fail then, what does moisture build up over time and crud from being in the woods do to moving parts?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Your bow can be in perfect tun all it wants. What happens in a situation where it's drizzling then stopsand the late afternoon hours' temperatures cause that drizzle which made it inside the mechanism of your mechanical to freeze? All of a sudden tune don't mean much of anything does it? And even if it doesn't fail then, what does moisture build up over time and crud from being in the woods do to moving parts?
In this same scenario, what about the ice and crud that builds up on and between the blades of a fixed and causes the arrow to fly a foot low and to the left? Lets not get stupid with are analogies.

Its called checking your equipment.

Quick Reply: Which Mechanical Broadheads??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.