Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snapped

Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Snapped

I hunted my butt off in 3 states, MI, PA, and WV and could not get a >120". I shot a crippled 7 point with the gun in PA and it wasn't much fun. Just can't match the intensity of taking an animal with a bow. A few times, I was out with my bow while passing some hunters with blaze orange and rifles, boy the looks that you get but I was determined to take my first with my new bow. Anyway, my second goal was to take a mature doe with my bow in the late season with snow. I posted the other day saying how I had one day left, but actually MI closed today. All along I thought that I only had the 31st to hunt. It started out pretty much how most of my late season went with orange pushing through the woods pushing the deer from their comfort zones. I did come close but 53 yds. was a bit much for the conditions. Seveal small ones were closer but I resisted. In mid day, I decided to stock and I was tempted several times but it wasn't the right shot. One time, I crawled 75 yds. through the snow in a high field to get up on them, but they moved when I got at 41 yds. It was 4 pm and time to head to get the portable stand. I decided to setup between the ice. Woods were flooded and it was dry below me. I tried something a bit different. I setup using the tree as cover (i.e. standing in the stand looking around the tree). Forgot to mention that the ice did not hold my weight and I had solid legs from the knees down. 5 PM hit and it was crazy, deer on 3 sides running like the orange were back for another run at it, but it was not the orange. I looked out at 150 yds. and ~7-10 were coming right at me. I rotated to the other side and prepared myself for a quick shot. Baaaaaaaahhhh. 3rd deer stopped at 34 yds. and was somewhat mature.First arrow from the 101 to connect. I hit her in the lungs and she ran ~70 yds., fell over, and began to shuffle. I was so pumped that I called my dad and was going to say that the airborne just downed the first deer, but ~15 more were coming my way and I still had another tag and I found out why the deer were running. It was a doe in heat and a buck. Same story, all were coming at me fast, bahhhhh. They stopped at 40 yds. and he began to beat the hell out of the other deer around him to separate the doe in heat. I dropped the phone, knocked an arrow, and he was just inside a very large maple which was 40 yds. I drew and released it through his heart. He did not even know that the arrow blew through him and hit the maple tree and bounced back 4 feet. I can't describe that sound but I am sure that you can image it. He chased the doe in a 30 yd circle and dropped just on the other side of the maple. My plan was perfect, my shots were the best and I know that my practice paid off, BUT I snapped and went against my goal, mission, morales, etc. Let them grow. The doe was fine, but the buck needed to pass. I only saw one ~120" and that was my mission but I snapped; I failed. I have thought all day about this post and did not know what to say. Any other time, this would be an easy post. I will leave you with this for 09, if you are passionate about a mission and take something that stops short of it, then it will be a mistake. On a day that I should feel awesome and pumped, I am feeling a bit bummed. Congrats to all of you who had or did not have success but did not deviate from your mission. My pics will be limited. PS, what is the man law violation? I did give both deer to people not so fortuate but that is not enough. Plant trees, give big brothers a call,etc. Need some suggestions. I can't put the bow down so that is out of the question.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Snapped

another pic...

Old 01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shot on the buck was absolutely perfect Congrats
Derek
Old 01-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with either deer. ...

Got a question you said you gave both deer away? Do you not eat the meat?

I think it is cool to give meat to others when you can. But I'm just wondering.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Love the meat but my dad gave me his from WV and I have mine from PA. The family can eat 2 but 3 would be pushing it. I know that the people that I gave it too will appreciate it.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, you are looking at the exit. The entrance was back and high to get the exit in that position. I looked at the heart and did not see a hole but it was pumping out and it was down very quick drop so maybe hit the top. It was dark and I didn't do much of an autopsy especially knowing that I had a tough drag.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

Nothing wrong with either deer. ...
Perfect hunt IMO
Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! I'm not sure what to say about the way you feel about shooting the buck. I wish you would be happy with a great hunt. I have shot bucks smaller than my goal and have felt the same way in the past. I guess it's important to make that decision before you shoot. Then you won't feel bad. I took a buck in Minn. this year that was under my goal and I considered it a great hunt. Nice shooting!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

It was definely a great hunt, but if I had to do it over, I would not have taken that 2nd shot. Can't take that arrow back so I will see if these shots deminish in the future. That avatar is hilarious. I thought that I was the man for hunting in that ice storm 2 weeks ago in MI but that doesn't compare to what you hunted in...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned

A double and the end of season...and you are bummed?? Man..God gave you a couple of nice animals and the health to do it...REJOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus you broke in your new bow.

Quick Reply: Snapped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.