Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are your local bucks dropping antlers yet? >

Are your local bucks dropping antlers yet?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are your local bucks dropping antlers yet?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are your local bucks dropping antlers yet?

Just curious. I saw a nice 120ish 8 point that I've been watching at the soon to be inlaws that dropped one side almost 3 weeks ago, and then this past weekend I was back in PA trying to fill my remaining doe tag and I saw a 2.5-3.5 year old buck that had dropped one side already. It seems a bit early.........

Anyone else seeing them drop yet?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Are your local bucks dropping antlers yet?

I helped a friend with a doe he thought he shot which turned out to be a really young buck. Both pedicles were scabbed over but with one touch of the finger they were bloody again, so he had just dropped that day. With the cold and amount of snow we have had in Minnesota, I think they are under quite a bit of stress.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm wondering if the bucks aren't dropping here. I've seen alot of antlerless deer in the fields. I can't get one close enough to tell if they are bucks or does, through the binos they just look like does.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a spike with one side dropped, the rest of the deer i have seen have had both sides. It is early, but i guess the cold snap that we had a while back is getting the shedding process going alittle bit early this year.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 AM

Not in my immediate area, but they are dropping north of here. Some bucks on my parent's property about 50 miles north started dropping 2-3 weeks ago. Very few still have at least one antler. They also had 3'-4' feet of snow and no agriculture. Here we had maybe 2' before thethaw and lots of farm land.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just put the game cam back out to check on the shedding. I have one that dropped one side and another that dropped both. Most are still carrying though.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Haven't found any and haven't been close enough to tell my last couple of hunts including this morning. Saw a couple of bucks yesterday evening with both sides though.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, I was hunting last night and saw a small 5 point with both sides. I would really like to take his father before he drops. I'll be back out tonight looking for mom or dad, at this point, I am just looking to loose an arrow.[8D]
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

yep
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like they are dropping early I have a good mix onthe cams of deer on and off but went out shed hunting and unfortunatly only found horns attached to season casualties

Quick Reply: Are your local bucks dropping antlers yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.