Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stand for big guys? >

Stand for big guys?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand for big guys?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Stand for big guys?

Looking at other stand threads on here got me to thinking.........

Im a big guy, 6'2 300lbs....not too concerned with weight capacity, my New Years Resolution is to get back to where I was before I went to college 5 years ago (or there abouts lol)...tired of being tired, and going to lose it if it's the death of me....Id rather die trying than not....anyway thats another issue I wont bother with.

Regardless, back then and now, I have trouble finding a comfortable stand. My arse is boney and belly buldging (for now, altho I dont expect to look 18 again lol) and legs long.

I know theres got to be some on here who have similar problems. Right now, I hunt out of a combination of climber (which is comfortable, but not bow friendly, mostly gun hunt it), couple of ladder stands, and a Gorilla King Kong (I think? largest model, plus a foot rest) and climbing sticks. Would like to add some more lock-ons to the arsenal, but want to spend my money in the right spot.

What do you big guys use? That being said, my first bow kill came when I was 17, and about 70lbs lighter, on the smallest $40 CHAIN on imaginable. Cant stand to sit more than 3 hours or so.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stand for big guys?

Where in NC are you located?

If you are looking for a new climber you should really check out the EQ24 by Equalizer. I can't say enough about it. It has a 350lb rating and is 24'' wide. It is wide enough that I can turn around in it and not touch the sides of the stand. I love it. It is very soild and the most user friendly climber I've ever used. As I said before, this stand was built by hunters not a lab coat guy.

As for lock-ons you will probably be better off by going with one of the smaller name companies that make really big ones with 350lb+ weight limits. Only bad thing is that they can be rather expensive. Just take a few minutes and do a search on google. Check the link below, they make some big stands.

http://www.chippewawedgeloc.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Yea, the equalizer company is in Wilmington NC if I'm not mistaken. I currently have a Lone Wolf but if I were going to get another climber it would be the Equalizer. I really would like the ability to adjust as you climb up the tree.I am 6'1" and about 190#. My Lone Wolf hand climber is what I use most of the time because of the light weight backpacking and I do use it for all day sits but the sit and climb seat is way more comfortable.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

got one........back when they were out of charlotte.......thanks tho lol

I love it.

Looking more so for loc ons

Thanks guys.........Im in Lincolnton btw.........or there abouts.....Pumpkin Center to be exact
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cant keep up with your avatars
ORIGINAL: DropTine249

You can buy a hydraulic man lift...Paint it camo and you're good to go.

Its hieght and reach is adjustable. You can drive it where ever you want. You can enclose the platform and drag a deer with it
Old 12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

I am with you. I weigh about 260. I bought a two man stand from Sportsmanguide and it was still tight for me. I am going to hunt tripods next year. Not to high, Maybe 15 ft. I did take my buck from my treestand this year , but it was a struggle. I shot my does from a tripod and found it much easier.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

I think Ill just stick to my big lock on's........theyre not too bad unless I have a wallet in my back pocket. My legs just get so stiff.

Hydraulic man lift? lmao Im still agile enough to climb a tree and hang a stand lol. My legs just get stiff from being so cramped up.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Summit Goliath... love it.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm around 6'5" and weigh around 300 lbs and I use a Summit Viper. I'm looking at losing some weight this year, but I still want a Summit Goliath or the new Titan (?) because of the increased room.