Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 spent the day at the bow shop >

spent the day at the bow shop

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spent the day at the bow shop

Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default spent the day at the bow shop

Ok.. So I spent the day at the bow shop today. We have had odd temps, spring rains and t-storms so I went to the shop to shoot all the new bows..

I'm not going to give some full report and specs on these but here is my quick and simple opinion.. These were all 29" 70lb bows... I shot mathews and bowtech bow lines, sorry Hoyt guys they just don't interest me.. lol

Well I am due for a new bow this year so My intent when I walked in was to purchase a DXT to be honest..

I shot the DXT and really liked it, super nice bow.. This bow draws nice and does not have any resistance all the way to full draw. Would be a really good hunting bow.

I shot the Reezen and handed it right back. I have heard others talk about it and speak of the hand shock and "mathews" guys say not a big deal and what do you expect.. Well I shot it and it has vibration is what I would call it. It seems to vibrate through the rizer for quite a long time after the shot. I tried several stabilizers and couldn't get rid of it.. To me (fast or not) with todays bows there is no excuse for vibration to hang around like it does on this bow. If it don't bug you then nice bow.. but it bugs me..

I shot the iceman and this was a nice bow as well.. I could feel a hair of vibration for just a moment in this bow. Really nice bow and it surprised me for sure.. But not my pick..

OK.. Then I shot the Admiral and Captain. Both nice but lets talk Admiral. I like a shorter bow for tree stand a blind hunting.. This bow was what I would call incredible. Probably the nicest bow I ever shot, no joke.. No handshock, easy draw and a piece of cake to hold back. If you got stuck at full draw on a monster buck this would be my pick for a bow to hold back for a long time... Not the fastest and it has a slight hump to pull over but man I am here to tell you this bow is sweet!

So I'm a Mathews guy and most of you know that.. But I think I'm going to fall off the deep end and buy a new Admiral.. I like this bow more than any Mathews I've owned, I hate to admit it but there ya go!!!!!
Specs are very very close to the Mathews Outback but it does shoot better.. And that Bowtech grip design is really growning on me, it just a really nice cradle.. I usually order a torqueless grip but in this case it's probably not needed..

Anyway.. Just my thoughts.. I'll probably order my new Admiral sometime next week.. Unless something really changes my mind from now to then...

Old 12-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spent the day at the bow shop

You guys are making me want to try the Admiral!!! I can't do that!!! I can't afford to buy a new bow this year. [&o]
Old 12-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really couldn't go wrong with any of those. You just have to find the one that fits you and your style of hunting. Plus being a pleasure to shoot doesn't hurt either.

The Admiral and Captain are some awesome shooting bows, that's for sure. I have a Captain on order, just waiting for the Santa in the brown suit to deliver it.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on testing out the shop at Bass Pro soon. I keep hearing guys talk about shooting everything before buying, I'm curious if they'll actually let me or not, and how much help I'll get.
I have a crazy short draw length for my size (26" @ 5'10") so I wonder if they'll even have a bow I can shoot, or if they'll take the time to change cams for me? I'd like to say say they won't get my business if they won't, but not a lot of options up here, bow hunting isn't to big, although theirs a lot of x-bow guys.
I need a new bow! I've never had a passthru and I know I've made some good shots, I'm tired of long tracking jobs!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love days like that where you get to shot bows! I have yet to buy a mathews but the next one I buy will be a mathews although that might be some time since I just bought a black ice. I will report back in ten years when I up grade. I am surprised about the rezen because I have heard some nice things about that bow. The Iceman pumps me up because some joker got on here saying he didnt like it without one reason why? I hate those types of posts because they remind me, when I was younger, when buddies would say "That girl at the bar was over rated!" and I was thinking what the hell were you looking at because she was rediculous! The only reason she was over rated was she would not touch you with a ten foot pole!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!! I'm ordering a Captain next week.

You really can't go wrong with any of the BowTech Center Pivot bows.

Dan
Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure any of my local shops let you shoot the bows! Pretty sure what they got is what you get if your serious about buying,then they change mods and settings.I trust folks opinions but if I'm gonna drop good change on new bow I would like my own feelings to help! I like the SWAT or ICEMAN I think or do I like the names...think there's some marketing in there?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like the ICEMAN but i got a new Hoyt this year so i could care less about getting the ICEMAN because im a Hoyt guy
Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thought I'd add for the hoyt guys not to take offense.. My reason is actually the fact that I really like roller guards, it's that simple.. The alphamax sounds like a good bow, just didn't have time to shoot it to be honest. I probably put 25 shots out of each bow today, arm was a bit tired.

And sorry I didn't type too many details but with a general opinion I think guys should try to find a place to shoot a bow before they buy it and see what fits you best because like a rifle it can vary from person to person..

And I have heard a lot of good and bad from the Reezen.. The bow seems to be really a good bow other than the vibration issue, it does have a bit of a hump to pull past which is not like Mathews but that is from the speed cam I'm sure.

Tuff choice for me between DXT and Admiral but I'm tellin ya that Admiral is one nice shooter..
Old 12-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Spike

This topic sure makes me smile because every time I go to my bowshop, I leave with a brand spanking new Elkantler longbow, of course I have to build it, but that makes me smile even more.

Quick Reply: spent the day at the bow shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.