Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Button Buck chain Reaction

Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default Button Buck chain Reaction

I posted in Schultzy's thread " My doe season (Strike 1!! ) that I would be getting my revenge on the doe this morning with a good chance at being humilated as it is a tough spot to huntwith 4 does using this bedding area.

I get to the area and park the truck. It was a beautiful morning with a temp around 16 degrees. Wind is perfect as I make my 1/3 mile hike to my spot. About the half way point I can barely make out a shadow of a deer in the snow right by the spot I needed to be. I head into the cattails and start creeping forward hoping the darkness and cattails would help me out. The deer fed but I could only go so far as the cattails had gotten knock down with all the snow. I was about 100 yards from the spot I needed to be. It was feeding on the side of a knoll and I hoped it would go behind the knoll so I could move on.

The deergot on the knoll as daylight was breaking and I could finallysee it was a fawn. I could see 2 moredeer moving in my direction but they were still far enough away that if the fawn got on the back side of the knoll... I could get in my spot.

The fawn seen them and stopped. At this point I am willing it to cross the knoll. It came down the knoll angling towards me. [&:]

It was angling to go past but not making much progress. Finally it got even with me and starting head straight east. Life is good. That lasted all of 30 seconds when it turned and headed straight at me. [:@]

I put the camera away. I wished I would have kept the camera out in hind sight. I see a big group of deer heading my way from the SW. 2 bucks, 2 does and 3 fawns. I still had the other two deer moving in my direction from the west ( doe and a fawn ). The fawn was on a collision course with me. At 20 yards I figured I might have a chance if I knelt up so the fawn could see me... hoping it would spook just enough to send it packing straight south out of sight from the other deer. If I let him get any closer, he would bolt. I just wanted to spook him a tiny as it had worked before but still a gamble. They were still far enough away and I had the knoll to help me out a bit.

At 15 yards I could see he was a button buck. At 15 yards he still didn't see me. At 10 yards he still didn't see me. At 15 feet I finally snap a cattail. He sees me as I finallyhad tolift up my face mask. He keeps coming !! He is curious and stops 8 feet from me. I wished I would have kept the camera out !! He wouldn't leaveand the other deer were still moving towards us. I needed him gone. I actually told him he had to go. He just keeps on looking. [:@] Finally he gets nevrous, turns and trots away. Hestops, I wave at him and hetrots into the slough. Yea the plan work.The other deer have no clue.

I watch himtrot farther into the slough with a big smile on my face. That smileended when he kicked up a doe and fawn which spooked him just as much as he had spooked them. He goes crashing out of the slough... over the knollto the two deer to the west. The doe and fawn go crashing to the SW to the big group. The doe and fawn from the west go crashing over to the big group with the button buck hot on their heels.

I watch as everyone goes crashing back to the west. The CRP has been cleard other then me standing there.I head back to the truck. []

Tim

Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Button Buck chain Reaction

Dang!!!! Tough luck!!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well thats hunting! Tim, when I said I wanted to see pics, I wanted to see pics of you behind the Doe you killed!!! Anyway sounds like you had a good hunt!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there Tim, odds are you cant grab the crappy end of the stick ever time .
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you had Murphy in your back pocket!

Dan