Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ladder Stands

Old 12-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Spike

Default Ladder Stands

I understand most guys on here like Hang Ons and I understand why. You can get higher and sit in any tree you want. I understand that. But what I am wondering is do you guys think you are at a disadvantage using ladderstands? After getting sick of hauling around my climber I bought 2 15 feet ladder stands on sale and love just being able to climb right up in them. I know they are only 15 feet but I think that should be high enough to get the job done. I know the deer are used to seeing the ladder because I have had does all over around my stand. Thoughts? I guess I am nervous to try a hang on because they seem to be more dangerous to me. It just seems like you could fall easier going up screw in climbing steps or climbing sticks.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ladder Stands

I use only ladder stands, and becouse of the fact that I dont like heights, mine are only about 10' high. You have to really be careful with your movement, and your scent, but it can be done. I have taken 3 does, and 2 bucks out of these stands, so it can be done.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Spike

I'm guessing you have to have amazing cover around you at 10 feet? I know it is december and there is no leaves on the trees but even at 15 feet I have been busted by does. I'm not shooting anymore does till I get a buck so I have been watching does around me. They will be under my stand and all I will do is turn my head to the left or rightand they bolt. In september and october I could move a bunch with deer around me and they wouldn't see me with cover on the trees.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think probably the man reason for hangons is the ease of moving a setup. I know that is one of them for me. as the season progresses their pattern changes and they wont travel the same trails. its alot easier for me to run out one afternoon and switch out my hangon and climbing sticks.
I only use a climber when i need to get in to a spot that i dont want to do any trimming or alot of disturbance.
anyone can fall out of anystand without the proper care and safety procedures taken.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mainly use hang-ons because they provide more cover in the stands and you don't have to limb everything out like a ladder stand.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

They make ladder stands now for up to 20' so height shouldn't be a problem...I use both and depends on the area I'm hunting. I'll use hang-on or climbers in deep woods and put my ladder stands out on field edges.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I mainly use hang-ons because they provide more cover in the stands and you don't have to limb everything out like a ladder stand.
I'm very confused on this one.

Don't you have to have a fairly clear shot to climb up the trunk of a tree if you use a hang on?

I can and often do leave bottom limbs on pine trees (etc)using a ladder. I can even useon very twisted trees that would be too tough to climb.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

The cheap little ladder stands have almost no standing platform, which can really limit your shotopportunities with both the bow and the gun. Yes they are safe and easy but so are hang ons if you use your head.

I use mine for some trees to get up to a hang on stand.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

The cheap little ladder stands have almost no standing platform, which can really limit your shotopportunities with both the bow and the gun.
I completely agree with you on that one. On the ones that I use I always make sure they have a flip up seat and a platform that goes to the tree. I also prefer a double rail.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my climber about 90%, but I do like ladder stands as well. I do not feel like I am at a disadvantage when I am in a ladder, as well as the ladder stand is hung in the right place/tree. It is nice when you are running late to be able to just shoot up in a ladder and ladder stand are so much quieter than my climber, which is also nice. The only problem I have ever ran into with ladder stand is that I like to hunt high (25-30ft) and most ladders will not get you there.

Quick Reply: Ladder Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.